HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I would have voted for a lower sales tax increase to fund ASU by itself, but ended up voting no to the package.
I hesitantly voted yes on Prop 2.

I'm not a big fan of tying city developments/public safety to sales tax increases. AZ's combined sales tax rate is already very high.

I would prefer that there be fewer sales tax exemptions and a broader tax base. This will then allow the rate to be lower (or stay the same) while providing additional revenue for infrastructure or public safety. Unfortunately this isn't really possible because cities' hands are tied- the only thing cities control is their rate. With a few limited exceptions (i.e. spec builder taxes), cities generally cannot have a different tax base or different exemptions.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 8:14 PM

More coverage of proposal for Park & Ride lot at Dobson/Main in Mesa.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ject/94996452/

Quote:
A plan that would transform a west Mesa light-rail parking lot into a mix of housing options that could create more than 600 residential units is advancing in Mesa, marking the largest redevelopment effort yet along the city's segment of the Valley Metro line.

The proposal by Phoenix-based developer Miravista Holdings calls for buildings up to five stories high as part of the project, which would be on nearly 21 acres at the northwest corner of Main Street and Sycamore, just east of Dobson Road...

The rail stop still will operate at the site and is a major reason for the proposal, said Neil Calfee, a planner with Miravista Holdings.

“With the station there it does allow you to look at a transit-oriented development, which makes sense, but a lot of other good things are happening in the neighborhood,'' he said.

He cited the many Asian-American restaurants and other businesses near the intersection, including the popular MeKong Plaza at the southwest corner of Dobson and Main. In addition, H Mart, a national chain of Asian megastores, plans to open an Arizona location at a former Albertsons store at the intersection's southeast corner.

On Nov. 7, the Mesa City Council approved a complex rezoning request for the site that would allow a housing mix that proposes between 490 and 685 units at the site, according to a City Council report. Most of those would be part of apartment buildings of up to five stories, which would be built closest to Main Street. Rents would be market rate.

Calfee said about 80 townhouses also are envisioned near the middle of the development, along with a senior residential building, an assisted-living facility and a possible educational facility.

The design will include pedestrian pathways, he said, though the project design is meant to encourage use of the rail or buses. A relocated transfer station will remain at the site, on the Sycamore side of the project...

Spurgin noted that about 250 parking spaces for light rail users will remain, but the city expects many commuters who live in east Mesa or Gilbert and use the lot now will use the Mesa Drive or Gilbert Road lots...

Miravist owns about half the site, and the rest is owned by Chapman Partnership and leased by the city of Mesa, Spurging said. Miravista intends to purchase the rest of the site, he said.

Calfee said Miravista, which is working with two partners, hopes to break ground on the project by late next year, but several more steps and City Council approvals remain, including approval of the detailed project design.
Placeholder rendering (not final):

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 10:04 PM

LGE taking over development for downtown Chandler's The Row, undergoing rebranding; H

Man what a mess...I haven't been to downtown Chandler in a while but it seems like these projects have been on the books which seems like forever. First Alamo Drafthouse and then Harkins pulled out.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...chandlers.html

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 4:13 PM
self-important urbanista

Development along Apache / Main light rail corridor

Perhaps a little hyperbolic, but still a good roundup of projects along Apache / Main:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/lif...5a0062576.html

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 5:07 PM
self-important urbanista

Wilkes University in Mesa

Wilkes will stop teaching face-to-face classes in Downtown Mesa. Branch campuses of out-of-state universities have been tried in both Mesa and Gilbert with only limited success:

http://kjzz.org/content/446452/priva...rollment-grows

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Wilkes will stop teaching face-to-face classes in Downtown Mesa. Branch campuses of out-of-state universities have been tried in both Mesa and Gilbert with only limited success:

http://kjzz.org/content/446452/priva...rollment-grows
Definitely wary of the small branch campuses. Although it does seem like Benedictine is doing well in Mesa, including renovating the Alhambra Hotel as dorms. Benedictine always seemed like it was more established, maybe the town just wasn't big enough for the two of them.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:35 PM
self-important urbanista

Cider House in Downtown Mesa

Nice how Downtown Mesa is beginning to cultivate a cluster of breweries and related businesses:

"The Durens thought they found the perfect location near Apache and Dorsey in Tempe, but after negotiations dragged on for five months they decided to move on.

The very next day they got a call from the owner of a small building on Robson, just south of Main, in downtown Mesa. An old garage, next to the former Mesa Tribune building, was being expanded and renovated.

The brothers secured 4,500 square feet and construction of Cider Corps – the name a nod to Jason Duren’s military background – now is underway."

http://mouthbysouthwest.com/2017/05/...downtown-mesa/

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Nice how Downtown Mesa is beginning to cultivate a cluster of breweries and related businesses:

"The Durens thought they found the perfect location near Apache and Dorsey in Tempe, but after negotiations dragged on for five months they decided to move on.

The very next day they got a call from the owner of a small building on Robson, just south of Main, in downtown Mesa. An old garage, next to the former Mesa Tribune building, was being expanded and renovated.

The brothers secured 4,500 square feet and construction of Cider Corps – the name a nod to Jason Duren’s military background – now is underway."

http://mouthbysouthwest.com/2017/05/...downtown-mesa/
Agree. Chattted about this with the bartender at Oro Brewery (mentioned in the article) a while back and tried their collaboration with Oro. Very excited for it to come online. Between Desert Eagle, Oro and the cider house, hopefully they can start pushing out the event spaces and other non-active retail.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 7:32 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ks-ground.html

Some more development for downtown Mesa breaks ground.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 11:22 PM

Pretty neat sounding development (especially for Mesa standards) proposed at roughly Mesa Dr./Main St. in Mesa:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...es-slated.html

Quote:
A new development could be coming to downtown Mesa and the East Valley city’s Main Street.

The city of Mesa and development firm 3W Management LLC have inked a memorandum of understanding to bring new housing and commercial development to a 2.75-acre property at Main Street and Pomeroy.

Jeff McVay, downtown transformation manager for the city of Mesa, said plans call for a seven-story mixed-use commercial building, 190 apartments and 14 townhouses / row houses be built on the downtown site.

The commercial building could house office and retail while the planned apartment building would be three stories and built on top of an existing parking garage.

The development also looks to bring 80 housing units for students at Benedictine University which is next to the city-owned properties slated for development.

McVay said the city and Arizona-based 3W Management still need to finalize their deal for the property. He said construction could start by the end of the year if the deal is finalized...
See City documents here: https://mesa.legistar.com/Legislatio...tions=&Search= for more details. Basically, it looks like it would likely be commercial/retail in the parking lot east of Benedictine University, townhomes fronting the City Court garage, and apartments on top of the City Court garage.

Not sure about 3W Management, LLC though. I don't know anything about him really, but that Tony Wall guy seems to always pop up in pie-in-the-sky-type developments. I believe he was involved in the "Maxwell" development for the Catholic student housing by ASU that got nixed, and pre-recession was involved in University Square and Monti's developments that never went anywhere.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 1:08 AM

Boeing moving ‘hundreds of jobs’ to Arizona

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 6:28 PM
Modulator

15 Story Development Coming to Mesa

This could be a good catalyst for Downtown Mesa development

Quote:
'Portland on the Park' developer wants to build 15-story downtown Mesa apartments, hotel

The land at the southwest corner of Mesa Drive and Center Street is currently a city-owned parking lot. According to early plans for the development, Habitat Metro would build a multistory parking garage topped by at least 75 apartments and 75 hotel rooms.

It would be the tallest building in downtown Mesa — at least for now, according to the city's Downtown Transformation Manager Jeff McVay.

The developers already own land next to the parking garage where they plan to build a 7,000-square-foot food hall, which would accommodate three or four trendy dining options. On top, they would build a 5,000-square-foot events center.

Sprague said both the restaurants and hotel will complement the Mesa Arts Center, which he considers "one of the best performing arts centers in this part of the world."

Currently, performance-goers find limited places to eat before a show or stay if they're from out of town, he said.

"The people in Mesa have been looking for something like this for a long time," Sprague said.

Arizona Sen. Bob Worsley and Kent Lyons are partners in the development. Sprague hopes his team can break ground this time next year, he said.

Is downtown Mesa where downtown Phoenix was 15 years ago?

Sprague said downtown Mesa is similar to downtown Phoenix 15 years ago when he began developing his first condo project in the city, with one major leg-up: The light rail is already installed.

Light rail construction began in 2005 in Phoenix and didn't open until 2008. It extended into downtown Mesa in 2015.

Sprague, who believes light rail is an asset to development, said it's beneficial to not "have to wait for the disruption of having it built."

In addition to light rail, downtown Mesa has a burgeoning college presence, much like downtown Phoenix in the early 2000s. Arizona State University's downtown Phoenix campus is often cited as a metamorphic addition to downtown.

Benedictine University, a Catholic university from Illinois, opened a satellite campus in downtown Mesa four years ago and now serves about 500 students with plans for continued growth.

Additionally, Mesa Mayor John Giles remains eager to land an ASU campus in the area.

In November, the city asked Mesa voters to hike the sales tax rate to fund the campus, along with other items such as public safety. Mesa voters told the city, "no." But Giles is still determined.

"We have not stopped talking with them — there are meetings happening right now," Giles told The Arizona Republic earlier this year. "It's still a really good idea."

A 'tipping point' for downtown Mesa

The Mesa City Council offered a rousing endorsement for the project.

"I think we will look back on this project as a tipping point in downtown Mesa," Giles said.

Giles, who served several stints on council dating back to the 1990's, said he's seen countless developers come in and try to sell glitzy projects that would revive downtown Mesa, but never came to fruition.

"I'm not skeptical when it comes to this development because this is not a guy with pretty pictures," Giles said. "He's talking about doing what he's already done and doing it in downtown Mesa. This is not a snake oil salesman who's coming in and saying give me some city property and I'll make something. This is a guy who's done it over and over and over again and this is going to be a transformative project for downtown."

Tax breaks

For the next year, the city will work out a development agreement, which is likely to include financial incentive for the developers, McVay said.

It's possible the developer will ask for a popular incentive that abates taxes for eight years or for favorable lease provisions, he said.

Mesa will maintain ownership of the land. It was gifted to the city in the 1950s for public parking. The developers project will maintain at least 102 public parking spots to uphold the city's obligation, McVay said.

The project and any incentives will come back before council for approval in the next year.The city would also need to change the zoning because a 14-story building is not currently allowed on the land, McVay said.

He said he's energized to work with developers who've already accomplished impressive feats in neighboring cities.

"I think it's going to set a really high bar for future developers," he said.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...own/461288001/

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Jul 14, 2017 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 7:19 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post

Such odd wording: "multistory parking garage topped by at least 75 apartments and 75 hotel rooms"

It makes it sound like the primary purpose of the project is parking with other uses being secondary. I hope it's the other way around.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post

Nice share, thanks. A friend mentioned something about a hotel in this space to me a while back and this is the first I've seen about details. The renderings look fantastic.

Quote:
The land at the southwest corner of Mesa Drive and Center Street is currently a city-owned parking lot. According to early plans for the development, Habitat Metro would build a multistory parking garage topped by at least 75 apartments and 75 hotel rooms.
This appears to be a typo--Mesa Dr. and Center are parallel and .5 miles apart. Here is the proposal documents if anyone wants to look:

http://mesa.legistar.com/Legislation...tions=&Search=

Here is an outline of the proposed site:

Really interesting proposal to stick the building in a back parking lot without any frontage on main streets. If it works, hopefully it spurs more similar developments. Downtown Mesa has an excess of parking, much of which is on city-owned surface lots behind the historic Main Street-facing retail buildings.

Quote:
Such odd wording: "multistory parking garage topped by at least 75 apartments and 75 hotel rooms"

It makes it sound like the primary purpose of the project is parking with other uses being secondary. I hope it's the other way around.
Definitely strange wording. I'm hoping it's just reflecting that (1) the development is replacing parking and (2) the parking garage will have dedicated public parking spaces?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:

One thing I noticed looking back at this indicates that they don't just view it as parking with ancillary uses. From the City's memo:

Quote:
Developer is provided rights to redevelop parking within the new structured parking garage to commercial/residential use, as demand for parking decreases, provided the minimum number of City spaces are maintained
It's nice that they're considering and planning for re-purposing parking space if/when the need for parking decreases with light rail/self-driving cars/less car-oriented lifestyles etc. I hope other developers do the same.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 4:28 PM

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/loc...deaffb2a4.html

I guess these are the first photos of the aforementioned project coming to downtown Mesa. I'm impressed this sort of development is landing on a sleepy-end of the rail line. Good job Mesa!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/loc...deaffb2a4.html

I guess these are the first photos of the aforementioned project coming to downtown Mesa. I'm impressed this sort of development is landing on a sleepy-end of the rail line. Good job Mesa!
same pictures were on the AZ Central article. But agreed, excellent looking project.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
same pictures were on the AZ Central article. But agreed, excellent looking project.
Ah, they weren't loading on my mobile for some reason

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 11:23 PM
BANNED

EXCLUSIVE: 19-acre, $75M multifamily mixed-use development coming to Gilbert's Agritopia

When the Johnston family opened the first homes at Agritopia in 2003, it began to change how people viewed Gilbert.

"This whole part of the East Valley is growing because of how (Agritopia has) been designed and how it looks. It is very shocking when you see what kind of people live here because you wouldn’t guess it if you didn’t come here and see it," said William Johnston, business manager for Johnston Properties. "Gilbert is changing, but not in a negative way, it’s becoming more than a suburb."

The $75 million, 19-acre mixed-use development Epicenter is coming to Agritopia in 2019.
Enlarge
The $75 million, 19-acre mixed-use development Epicenter is coming to Agritopia in 2019.

PROVIDED BY JOHNSTON PROPERTIES

Now the Johnston family is bringing one more major development to its farmland: Epicenter, a 19.7-acre, four-story mixed-use center on the northwest corner of Higley and Ray roads.

Whitneybell Perry is the architect, Terrascape is the civil engineer and Floor Associates is the landscape architect. Epicenter will break ground this fall, and the center is expected to open during first-quarter 2019.

"This is a model for densifying Phoenix," said Joe Johnston, founder of Agritopia. "This is suburban urbanization, and hopefully it's something others can emulate."

The $75 million project has been in the works since 1999, when the Johnstons first created their land plan for Agritopia. Joe said they originally planned for a grocery-anchored center, but then realized that things had to be done differently.

"The grocery center model imploded, and during the downturn we realized we couldn't curate something with different owners," he said. "So we said, 'let's do a single project.'"

The residential space

The plans for the project came together in 2012, when Michigan-based IPA Partners opened its senior living facility Generations on a parcel in Agritopia.

"That added a very important piece to the community," said William. "Because as people get older and they need more care, you don’t have to move away from your family, you can still live in the community. Really from birth to earth is what a lot of people say here."

IPA, which also runs the Liv apartments throughout the Valley, "seemed like the ideal fit for a partner," William said.

"We knew we needed to partner with someone else who had expertise in multifamily, and they saw the response for Generations and they wanted to do something in this community," said William. "The great thing is the mindset and idea and desires for this project were very much aligned."

It's the first time Johnston Properties has ever done a joint venture.

The end result is roughly 300,000 square feet of residential space on the second, third and fourth floors of Epicenter, with 287 units ranging from studio to three-bedroom apartments and two-bedroom penthouse apartments. Units will range from 500 to 2,000 square feet, costing between $900 and $4,000 a month.

Epicenter will be one of the tallest buildings in Gilbert, hitting about 60 feet.

"Barnone was a way for us to keep Gilbert cool and keep people here. Epicenter is the same thing," said William. "When you get out of college you can come here and have what Austin has and be closer to your family. We want to retain talent in Gilbert and in Phoenix."

The commercial space

The first floor of Epicenter will have about 54,000 square feet of retail and restaurants, where half will be food-focused, "because of the way the business has been going," said Joe Doucett, senior managing director of Newmark Grubb Knight Frank, who's the broker for the first-floor retailers.

The entry point to Epicenter will be at Joe's Farm Grill, followed by a 4,700-square-foot pad for a restaurant. Total walking distance from end-to-end of Epicenter will be "the same as walking from California Pizza Kitchen to SimonMed at Biltmore Fashion Park," said Casey Treadwell of Vintage Partners, who's consulting on the development and helping land some tenants.

But what really sets this development apart from the flood of mixed-use projects around the Valley is the goal for Epicenter is to have all Arizona-based tenants.

"We’re going to have tenants that have multiple locations, tenants who have never run a business before, tenants who have never had an iteration of this business," said Doucett.

About 30 percent of the first-floor retail has been signed. Because the tenants are local, and some will open their first brick-and-mortar at the site, lease rates are "way below the market rate," said Treadwell.

"That experience of street front retail, when it’s started by locals, whether it's South Congress in Austin or downtown Denver, inevitably the nationals want to feed off that because the consumer goes there and they’re trying to catch that consumer in the area," said Treadwell.

Because of the intention for 100 percent Arizona business (including Tucson- and Flagstaff-based businesses as well), there won't be any conflict between Epicenter and other shopping centers in the area.

"It’s actually positive that we’re only a mile or two away from SanTan Village, because we don’t have to worry about the ownership changing their mind, or the city saying why don’t you go do this," said Doucett. "The city has their investment in the national core, and this will have its own draw. It’s an interesting point in the cycle of growth in Arizona for our restaurants and retail. It wasn’t that long ago where we didn’t have a whole lot that wasn’t imported to Arizona, and now we’re exporting concepts to other cities."

Parking will be different from other mixed-use spaces as well. Half the surface parking will be in the front and half in the back, with retail parking spaces numbering 500 and residential around 450.

"It has a higher parking ratio than a lot of cities are allowing now when it comes to mixed-use, and that’s to make sure businesses have enough people coming every day so they can be successful," said Treadwell.

Agritopia has continued to bring new dynamic development to the East Valley over the years, such as its multi-use retail and restaurant space Barnone, which opened last year, and the town has become the ideal place for development, considering the average resident is 32 years old and makes $100,000 to support a family of three.

"You’re looking at some of he strongest demographics in the state," Doucett said. "You look at other areas of town, you have the income but you don’t have the density, or you have the density but you don’t have the income."

Steven covers retail, restaurants, hospitality/tourism as well as aviation, small business and nonprofits.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
EXCLUSIVE: 19-acre, $75M multifamily mixed-use development coming to Gilbert's Agritopia
Thanks for sharing that article

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest