HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 8:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
I heard that SLC was sending some people to that conference but Jackie fired them before they could attend.
Jackie or Jake?

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
http://www.bowenstudios.com/renderin...389049&slide=1

I likes this one. Is this by the Provo Canyon corporate office area?
Ancestry moved from Provo Canyon area to Lehi. They're currently located at 1300 W Traverse Parkway in Lehi.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airportvids View Post
Jackie or Jake?
Jackie is Mayor so... not Jake.

?

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
I heard that SLC was sending some people to that conference but Jackie fired them before they could attend.
SLC isn't the city building these freeway skylines.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
SLC isn't the city building these freeway skylines.
Salt Lake city is also not developing the kind of urban high tech and business district that Orlando was talking about in his post. Despite having available land within the City SLC just simply isn't competing for these businesses. There doesn't seem to be any plan at all to ever do so.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Salt Lake city is also not developing the kind of urban high tech and business district that Orlando was talking about in his post. Despite having available land within the City SLC just simply isn't competing for these businesses. There doesn't seem to be any plan at all to ever do so.
There have been plans, or intentions at least, ie. Fleet Block. There is just so much infrastructural improvements that need to happen in these existing urban locations, that it can be discouraging for a new developer. I attended one seminar during the conference that showcased examples of suburban corporate headquarters moving to more gritty urban surrounds. There was also a rep. from Seattle that talked about how the city does not offer incentives to corporations at all. They go with the strategy of making their city super attractive. The outdoor setting in Seattle is already a winner. But, it is a lot more than that. It's the urban vibe, the restaurants, the infrastructure in place, etc. She used a cake as a metaphor. The outdoor setting was the frosting, but the cake underneath are all the amenities that the city has.

There are a variety of reasons why SLC is not seeing these tech companies set up shop there rather than in exurbia. I think the biggest one is demographics. People in Utah have families and families that are larger than your average, and that can be more expensive to buy a place in a more dense urban center. For example, there are lots of cool highrise apartments and condos going up near Amazon headquarters, but the average unit size is like a 700 sf 1 bedroom unit for like probably 500k. I also see this that this demographic does not see the benefit of a more urban culture. They're too used to their suburban single-family home, car-driven, strip mall culture.

Last edited by Orlando; May 9, 2017 at 7:29 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 8:59 PM

Lone Peak Office

Construction will begin soon for Gardner Company's new Lone Peak office building. This 5 story, 125k sf facility will be a great addition to the city of Lehi.

Source,
https://www.facebook.com/babcockdesi...PAGES_TIMELINE

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 12:23 PM

I know when I come back for a visit I will scarcely recognize a lot of this northern Utah county bench area between Alpine/Highland and I-15. That whole Northern Utah County area around
Lehi is growing so rapidly, it seems to add sweeping changes each season.

One of the more recent additions that caught me off guard was the construction of the new Skyridge High School. I was looking at how much High Schools had changed in the past decade
or two. Schools like A.F. High and the rebuild, or new schools like Westlake. I wasn't even really cognisant of the brand new Skyridge High. And what a High School it is, with around 2000
students from the get go. Reports are that even though it will have an immediate student body of 2000, it won't even have a drawdown effect on neighboring schools like A.F., Lone Peak, or Westlake.
I imagine that Lehi's original High School will be given the breathing room it needs to do a complete rebuild, much like Am. Fork accomplished a couple years ago, with the addition of Lone
Peak. Now Am. Fork is back up to over 2000 stundents, which it hadn't seen since Lone Peak was constructed. Anyway, this areas growth and filling in continues to amaze me. At the pace
it's been growing these past twenty years, it won't be long before the open space runs out, and they will have no choice but to create vertical nodes.

Skyridge High School under construction

https://www.lehifreepress.com

Last edited by delts145; Sep 4, 2018 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I know when I come back for a visit I will scarcely recognize a lot of this northern Utah county bench area between Alpine/Highland and I-15. That whole Northern Utah County area around
Lehi is growing so rapidly, it seems to add sweeping changes each season.

One of the more recent additions that caught me off guard was the construction of the new Skyridge High School. I was looking at how much High Schools had changed in the past decade
or two. Schools like A.F. High and the rebuild, or new schools like Westlake. I wasn't even really cognisant of the brand new Skyridge High. And what a High School it is, with around 2000
students from the get go. Reports are that even though it will have an immediate student body of 2000, it won't even have a drawdown effect on neighboring schools like A.F., Lone Peak, or Westlake.
I imagine that Lehi's original High School will be given the breathing room it needs to do a complete rebuild, much like Am. Fork accomplished a couple years ago, with the addition of Lone
Peak. Now Am. Fork is back up to over 2000 stundents, which it hadn't seen since Lone Peak was constructed. Anyway, this areas growth and filling in continues to amaze me. At the pace
it's been growing these past twenty years, it won't be long before the open space runs out, and they will have no choice but to create vertical nodes.

I imagine you know that Skyridge is already open and has been all school year?

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 10:21 PM

Yes, I wanted to post a photo of the completed school, but everything on the web is either tiny or the format is gigantic.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Yes, I wanted to post a photo of the completed school, but everything on the web is either tiny or the format is gigantic.
To give you the full update. Skyridge is open Alpine just finished rebuilding about 80 percent of Pleasant Grove High School. A bond was passed this year for a Full rebuild of Lehi High School and a new High School probably in Eagle Mountain.

If you would like more then keep reading Jordan School District passed a bond and a new High School will be Built in Herriman right next to the city lines of Riverton. right off of Mt View Corridor. They wanted 2 high schools but we told them to take a hike In 4 years Herriman will be the largest school in the state with over 3000 students.

Farmington next year (2018) will open and are picking school names and mascots right now.

two new high schools just got built in Cache Valley, Ridgeline opened this year and just won the schools second state title in Boys Soccer... this after winning one in Boys Basketball. The other is in North Logan opening this year called Green Canyon and a crappy mascot of Wolves

Finally, St George is finishing up their next high school called Crimson with the mascot name of Titans and this is even funner their colors are Blue and Silver

With the Wasatch Front schools every high school built, there are 10 other schools built with them ... Elementary and Middle schools.

If you are wondering where the next school will be .... Weber County is a good bet. Fremont and Weber High Schools are full.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
To give you the full update. Skyridge is open Alpine just finished rebuilding about 80 percent of Pleasant Grove High School. A bond was passed this year for a Full rebuild of Lehi High School and a new High School probably in Eagle Mountain.

If you would like more then keep reading Jordan School District passed a bond and a new High School will be Built in Herriman right next to the city lines of Riverton. right off of Mt View Corridor. They wanted 2 high schools but we told them to take a hike In 4 years Herriman will be the largest school in the state with over 3000 students.

Farmington next year (2018) will open and are picking school names and mascots right now.

two new high schools just got built in Cache Valley, Ridgeline opened this year and just won the schools second state title in Boys Soccer... this after winning one in Boys Basketball. The other is in North Logan opening this year called Green Canyon and a crappy mascot of Wolves

Finally, St George is finishing up their next high school called Crimson with the mascot name of Titans and this is even funner their colors are Blue and Silver

With the Wasatch Front schools every high school built, there are 10 other schools built with them ... Elementary and Middle schools.

If you are wondering where the next school will be .... Weber County is a good bet. Fremont and Weber High Schools are full.
Where do Daybreak kids go to high school? I figured the next SL County high school would be near there ...will the new one by Herriman serve that purpose?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post

West High needs to be rebuilt​ within the next 10 years.... the facility is more than 100 years old and it's too small (at least that was my experience while I was there). I know that it's on the shortlist to be rebuilt, but I don't understand why so many schools younger than 50 years are being rebuilt when they conform to safety standards. I understand the historic preservation aspect but the comfort and safety of students should come before preservation. The school was seismically upgraded in the 1990s. I know that it would probably be expensive considering that there is little space to work within across the street, WHS is the largest (or 2nd I think now to Westlake) school in Utah and it would probably need to facilitate the construction of a tunnel or bridge. I think that is what's delaying construction right now but one of my friends I graduated with now works there and says that administration is in talks to reconstruct the school.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Where do Daybreak kids go to high school? I figured the next SL County high school would be near there ...will the new one by Herriman serve that purpose?
Daybreak kids can go to either Herriman or Bingham. When Jordan school district passes the next bond the new high school will go someplace by suncrest development... that's really really west. Bingham Riverton Copper Hills and Herriman are all the biggest high Schools in the state save Westlake. When the Canyons district split they really screwed the west side schools. Now canyons has 4 high Schools with some of the smallest student populations. I hate them.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
West High needs to be rebuilt​ within the next 10 years.... the facility is more than 100 years old and it's too small (at least that was my experience while I was there). I know that it's on the shortlist to be rebuilt, but I don't understand why so many schools younger than 50 years are being rebuilt when they conform to safety standards. I understand the historic preservation aspect but the comfort and safety of students should come before preservation. The school was seismically upgraded in the 1990s. I know that it would probably be expensive considering that there is little space to work within across the street, WHS is the largest (or 2nd I think now to Westlake) school in Utah and it would probably need to facilitate the construction of a tunnel or bridge. I think that is what's delaying construction right now but one of my friends I graduated with now works there and says that administration is in talks to reconstruct the school.
As far as I know the only thing keeping west from rebuilding is the historic factor. If that was not an issue then they could build a new school easy. Across the street has tons of room but even if they wanted it to stay on that side of the street they could totally make that work too. As far as all these other schools getting rebuilt they were poorly designed and the latest thing is lots and lots of windows.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 10:58 AM

Has anyone passed by to view the progress on the new Provo High lately?

http://utahvalley360.com

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 10:30 PM

So I guess it's official, Trader Joe's is coming to Orem. I guess it will be a part of the new University Mall makeover, at the old Wells Fargo/Big O tire site. Here's an article and rendering. Apparently the news is just surfacing these past few days, and more info will be made official soon. Nothing signifies you've arrived like a new Trader Joe's!!

http://utahvalley360.com/2017/05/31/...-opening-2018/

On May 25, Orem city posted this building plan on its Facebook page saying “someone is coming to University Place.” This building — which will be northwest of Macy’s — will house Trader Joe’s in 2018. (Image courtesy of Orem city)

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 11:57 PM

We have a Trader Joe's 5 minutes from our house. I think I've been twice in three years.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 11:27 AM

IT Company PODIUM to expand Lehi, Utah Headquarters, add 426 jobs

http://business.utah.gov/news/podium...ilicon-slopes/

...SALT LAKE CITY (June 8, 2017)—The Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GOED) today announced Podium, Inc. will expand in Utah, adding up to 426 jobs to the community...

...Podium provides technology that makes the interactions between local businesses and consumers simple and convenient. The platform enables communication via familiar channels like text message to drive online discovery, answer general questions about the business, and collect in-depth customer feedback and online reviews...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 10:10 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
These new schools and rebuilds are in different School Districts than West. Each district does bonding for their own schools.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West