HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post

Sorry for the tangent, but the TL is fascinating, and so are the prices of this city where even the TL is more expensive than even the nicest parts/buildings of other large cities. Damn you Twitter IPO!
And despite that, it still has a high crime rate and is one of the poorest and grittiest inner city neighborhoods in the nation...this city is crazy when it comes to housing prices.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 6:48 PM

Very cool thread. I stayed in a super cheap hotel near 7th and Market 2 years ago. It was my first time in SF and I was floored by the Tenderloin, I couldn't believe how much it resembled Manhattan with more topography. One of those, 'wasn't expecting this' moments, in a good way. Easily my favorite urban part of the city.

I also loved the grittiness, had 'real' neighborhood feeling to it. I didn't at all feel threatened and had my camera out snapping away even after I was told to watch out and that it wasn't very safe (I usually take those statements with a grain of salt, as I'm from Chicago and I know what bad neighborhoods are). Although I was almost hit in the head from a liquor bottle thrown out the window from a tenement Building around the corner from 6th and Market at 1am; I just shrugged it off.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 7:30 PM
The Desert Apple

Fantastic set!

I stayed right in the middle of the Tenderloin at the Cova Hotel back in May while on a short visit. While it's obvious that this neighborhood's roots are a bit rough, I didn't feel unsafe at all. I think part of that has to do with how dense / busy the area seemed to be, so I never felt isolated. And it's clear the area is on the up trend. Honestly, I loved it and if I were relocating to SF right now, I would consider this area if it is truly more affordable. The location in proximity to the rest of the city is simply awesome... at least it seemed that way during my brief time there.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 12:08 AM
It could be worse!

Great (and accurate) coverage of this neighborhood, Nineties Flava!

My fondest memory of The Tenderloin was walking through it at 5AM and hearing one guy explain to his friend "Heroin is a bit too much for me, but I love cocaine."

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 5:22 AM
designer&stuff

Thanks for the tour, Nineties Flava. I have been through the Tenderloin a number of times while living in the Bay Area. I'm glad Mid-Market is transforming, especially with the departure of Chris Daly, but it's still a rough place where the Tenderloin meets Market St.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 12:17 AM

Thanks to everyone who commented. I planned to have the next part done before Halloween but that probably won't happen, I haven't been feeling well recently.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Thanks to everyone who commented. I planned to have the next part done before Halloween but that probably won't happen, I haven't been feeling well recently.
Sending you positive vibes my friend, get well soon!

Thanks for the informative thread!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 10:51 PM

The TL is basically akin to LA's Skid Row in Downtown LA.

I would be interested to see a break down comparison between the two such as how many SROs there are, shelters, population, etc.

I have a feeling LA's Skid Row may follow a somewhat similar path as SF's TL as Downtown LA continues to densify...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 11:48 PM

These must be the only straight people in San Fran! How much does a room cost at one of these SRO's?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighamYen View Post
The TL is basically akin to LA's Skid Row in Downtown LA.

I would be interested to see a break down comparison between the two such as how many SROs there are, shelters, population, etc.

I have a feeling LA's Skid Row may follow a somewhat similar path as SF's TL as Downtown LA continues to densify...
I disagree, the TL and Skid Row are very, very different neighborhoods outside of homelessness and drug abuse. Skid Row is far more comparable to how SOMA was before it gentrified.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 1:08 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Very good intimate touches here. A nice collection.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I disagree, the TL and Skid Row are very, very different neighborhoods outside of homelessness and drug abuse. Skid Row is far more comparable to how SOMA was before it gentrified.

I thought homelessness and drug abuse are quintessential to both districts?

How are they "very, very different" neighborhoods?

I'm not as familiar with the TL (even though I used to live in SF Bay Area) as you are with LA's Skid Row apparently.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighamYen View Post
I thought homelessness and drug abuse are quintessential to both districts?

How are they "very, very different" neighborhoods?

I'm not as familiar with the TL (even though I used to live in SF Bay Area) as you are with LA's Skid Row apparently.
The Tenderloin's a central residential neighborhood with a large renting population in addition to the large homeless population. It has a lot of restaurants, clubs, stores, etc. that people who live and don't live in the neighborhood spend a lot of time in; it's also the end-of-the-line for a lot of the buses in the City so a lot of people pass through while waiting for the buses. A lot of the people in the Tenderloin were born and raised there.

Skid Row by comparison is very industrial and feels somewhat removed from downtown despite that it feeds directly onto Broadway. There's a lot of SROs but very few regular apartment buildings. The scale of homelessness in both neighborhoods is very comparable but the neighborhoods themselves are not particularly similar at all. Homelessness is one of many different aspects to compare.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos