HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 3:11 AM

Most likely in Gordon Campbell's Point Grey riding. I think Gordon did mention before that he may vacant the seat.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 3:16 AM
Ack Thptf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
They call her the premier-designate but I believe it is possible that she may not become premier. She's not elected so I don't believe she can be sworn in as premier, or can she?
Yes she can. You don't have to elected to be a minister in the government or premier or prime minister for that matter. It is parliamentary tradition that you seek the first available opportunity to be elected so that you can be held accountable by the people's elected representatives.

What would be interesting would be if nobody stepped down to give her a seat or if she was defeated in a subsequent by-election.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Doe View Post
Yes she can. You don't have to elected to be a minister in the government or premier or prime minister for that matter. It is parliamentary tradition that you seek the first available opportunity to be elected so that you can be held accountable by the people's elected representatives.

What would be interesting would be if nobody stepped down to give her a seat or if she was defeated in a subsequent by-election.
Someone who isn't planning on running again who is in a safe Liberal seat will be persuaded to step down to trigger an early by-election.

Unfortunately there isn't a BC Senate that the former MLA can be plopped into as a thank-you present by Christie, but cushy jobs in Universities, law firms, ICBC or BCHydro can be created for the same reason.

The safe-seat former MLA may be thinking of Federal politics, so having the BC Liberal machine helping him/her become an MP would be another thank-you present from Christie.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 3:50 AM

Christy isn't allowed to sit in the legislature but she is allowed to be premier.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 4:42 AM
Ack Thptf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
... She says she wants to go to an election right away...
Can that be done? BC has a fixed election day.

The 40th British Columbia general election, barring the possibility of a motion of no confidence, war, or an early dissolution of parliament, will occur on May 14, 2013 [from Wikipedia].

I don't see how she can engineer the defeat of her own government unless the NDP agrees and they won't do that if they're behind in the polls.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 4:53 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

Quote:

I believe Gordo said he would be resigning his seat to prevent "awkwardness" or something once the new leader had been chosen.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 5:00 AM
Ack Thptf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Someone who isn't planning on running again who is in a safe Liberal seat will be persuaded to step down to trigger an early by-election.

Unfortunately there isn't a BC Senate that the former MLA can be plopped into as a thank-you present by Christie, but cushy jobs in Universities, law firms, ICBC or BCHydro can be created for the same reason.

The safe-seat former MLA may be thinking of Federal politics, so having the BC Liberal machine helping him/her become an MP would be another thank-you present from Christie.
I'm sure you're right. I think it would be interesting if Gordon Campbell resigned and she ran in Vancouver-Point Grey. The NDP held that riding from 1991 to 1996 (Darlene Marzari) and had respectful showings in 1996 (42.81%), 2005 (37.70%) and 2009 (40.28%).

I think she will have a "honeymoon period" and would probably take the riding. I suppose it depends on how pissed-off BCers are about the HST and whether she can distance herself from that issue.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Can that be done? BC has a fixed election day.

The 40th British Columbia general election, barring the possibility of a motion of no confidence, war, or an early dissolution of parliament, will occur on May 14, 2013 [from Wikipedia].

I don't see how she can engineer the defeat of her own government unless the NDP agrees and they won't do that if they're behind in the polls.
It was easy enough for Stephen Harper to break his own fixed election date law. IMHO that piece of legislative rubbish can exit with Gordo, its not part of the Westminster tradition.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It was easy enough for Stephen Harper to break his own fixed election date law.
What do you mean? Harper's never had a majority government, and the law cannot override the government getting brought down by a nonconfidence vote.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 7:50 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
What do you mean? Harper's never had a majority government, and the law cannot override the government getting brought down by a nonconfidence vote.
The last election in 2008 was called by Harper(not non-confidence) and he was taken to court over it, it went all the way to the Supreme Court, who ruled it legal.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 8:00 AM

Woah!

May, 2013 is the last date that an election may be held in BC in the next go around. But the relevant statute does not prevent an earlier election date due to unforseen circumstances such as a new premier wishing to seek a new mandate. That relates to the "early dissolution" of Parliament. It only took the regular "surprise" election date away from the politicians.

Vaughn Palmer has already reviewed the relevant statute, had that interpretation independently confirmed, and has written about it.

I admit, most people get the absolutely "fixed" election date in their mind through the MSM, myself included.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 12:28 PM
Ack Thptf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Woah!

May, 2013 is the last date that an election may be held in BC in the next go around. But the relevant statute does not prevent an earlier election date due to unforseen circumstances such as a new premier wishing to seek a new mandate. That relates to the "early dissolution" of Parliament. It only took the regular "surprise" election date away from the politicians.

Vaughn Palmer has already reviewed the relevant statute, had that interpretation independently confirmed, and has written about it.

I admit, most people get the absolutely "fixed" election date in their mind through the MSM, myself included.
Well... if we're going by the old Westminister rules, then they can govern for five years, pushing the election to May 2014.

Technically...the laws says they can only sit for five years, but have a year to call a new election, pushing the election to May 2015.

Traditionally...the British parliament of 1935 used the excuse of a global war to extend their mandate to 1945. If Christie can somehow manage to get BC into a war with Mongolia she might be able to extend her rule indefinitely.

Seriously...I suppose I answered my own question with this quote from Wikipedia:

The 40th British Columbia general election, barring the possibility of a motion of no confidence, war, or an early dissolution of parliament, will occur on May 14, 2013

Having a majority in the legislature, I don't see how the Lieutenant-Governor could refuse her request for an early dissolution.

It seems weird that you might have an election only two years after the last one, despite having a fixed date election "law".

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 5:13 PM

That "convention" was about as exciting as watching paint dry. Bring back voting on the floor. No more of this innernet voting stuff!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 7:08 PM

Are we ready for another Premier Clark?

Didn't we learn anything from the last one?

(Does anyone know if she has a cabin that needs a new deck?)

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
The candidates:

Abbott - most moderate candidate of any party. Was even a New Democrat in his 20's. Very competent cabinet minister, consensus builder, liked by all members of the house with good sense of humour.

Falcon - knows his portfolios, pro economic development, and gets things done.

Clark - charisma, communicator, and has assembled good group of economic advisors for a pro economic development platform.

On the flip side, Falcon may be seen as too far to the right and partisan. Clark may lack substance and is also seen as too partisan.

My prediction:

1st Ballot: (announced at 6:10 pm)

1. Clark

2. Abbott

3. Falcon

4. Deyong

2nd Ballot: (announced at 6:20 pm)

1. Clark

2. Abbott

3. Falcon

Deyong gets bumped and his 2nd votes go 40 (Clark) 40 (Abbott) 20 (Falcon)

3rd Ballot: (announced at 6:30 pm)

1. Clark

2. Abbott

Falcon gets bumped and his 2nd votes go 60 (Abbott) 40 (Clark)

The foregoing prediction is based upon information from the various political camps, numerous internal polls, as well as a plethora of public opinion polls.
Talk about Nailing It. SSP Beers to you
I left your prediction on my computer over the weekend, so it was the first thing I saw on my desk this morning

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
Talk about Nailing It. SSP Beers to you
I left your prediction on my computer over the weekend, so it was the first thing I saw on my desk this morning
not quite. The only thing that was correctly predicted was Clark being ahead in each round.

The reality was ...
1st round:
  1. Clark
  2. Falcon
  3. Abbott
  4. Deyong
Deyong dropped

2nd round:
  1. Clark
  2. Falcon
  3. Abbott
Abbott dropped

3rd round:
  1. Clark
  2. Falcon

Clark annointed

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 3:14 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

Quote:
Campbell said he would step aside in his Vancouver-Point Grey riding to make room for his successor, Christy Clark, if asked.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/outgoing-b-...43027-276.html

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 2:26 AM

Gordo is at last well and truly gone from public life.
Gordon Campbell quits as MLA, leaves seat open for byelection.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 3:04 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I'll miss you Gordo. Since you don't drink anymore I'll have a double in your honour.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 6:44 AM
BANNED

I think BC has had worse premiers than Campbell. He wasn't great but he also wasn't terrible.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics