HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Local on Lonsdale in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • North Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 9:17 AM
Van City

Supermarket buckles in heavy snow

Extra Foods to remain closed until inspection, repairs complete

Stephanie Mosley, North Shore News
Published: Friday, January 02, 2009

North Vancouver's Extra Foods supermarket will be closed until further notice after heavy snow apparently collapsed part of its roof.

North Vancouver RCMP were called to the store at the corner of Lonsdale Avenue and 17th Street early Christmas morning to find it partially caved in and windows on the North side broken.

Fortunately, no one appears to have been inside at the time.

"We suspect that heavy snow and unco-operative weather caused the incident," said Tara Dudar, a spokeswoman for Loblaw Companies Ltd., in an e-mail to the News. "(Loblaw) will take all necessary steps to repair the premises and we are working to re-open the store as soon as possible."

Dudar did not comment on the state of the roof, and did not say whether attempts were made to clear snow from it prior to its collapse.

City of North Vancouver staff have inspected the premises, but so far have not come to a final conclusion with regard to cause.

A number of factors were likely involved, but it is too early to say for sure, said Gary Penway, a planner with the city.

Crews boarded up the store's windows in the days following the collapse, and a fence has been set up around the perimeter of the parking lot to keep people off the property. Inspectors have resolved to wait until the snow melts completely before conducting a final assessment.

The Extra Foods site has been the centre of controversy in recent months as plans to redevelop the site received mixed reviews from residents.

Loblaw was originally looking to build a 240-foot tower on the property, 60 feet over the official community plan limit. In exchange for the extra height, the city would have received roughly 8,800 sq. ft. of affordable housing.

City council approved the plan on Sept. 8 following a public hearing, but then sent the proposal back to staff a month later when three city councillors altered their support for the project.

An amended version of the proposal, which included a drop in the tower height and a loss of the non-market rental units, was adopted on Oct. 20. It is unclear whether the company's development plans, which are still in the works, will be affected by the Christmas Day incident.

http://www.canada.com/northshorenews...1-d88be7f5dce4

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 2:14 AM
I'm the bear on the right

The Extra Foods is a dump anyway. No big loss there. The Safeway isn't much better. I can't believe how small it is. Safeway could redevelop it's parcel with underground parking similar to the Kensington store here in Calgary. Just a thought.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 2:36 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
The Extra Foods is a dump anyway. No big loss there. The Safeway isn't much better. I can't believe how small it is. Safeway could redevelop it's parcel with underground parking similar to the Kensington store here in Calgary. Just a thought.
i live less than a block from the Safeway and have suggested to store management and those at Safeway head office in Calgary (via email) several times that the store is outdated and in need of repair. i get the same cold shouldered reply every time. in fact, the best reply i have received from Safeway H.O is to shop at the either the Safeway on Mount Seymour Parkway and Mount Seymour Road or the Safeway at Lynn Valley Center if i want to shop at a cleaner and newer location.

the store is seriously suffering at the moment with keeping stock in because of the holiday, the weather, and the roof collapse of Extra Foods. at least, this is the excuse the in store management has given.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 5:49 AM
Site 8 Lives

I'm sure Safeway has plans for that site. It is quite the valuable property... at a well-travelled intersection on Lonsdale... complete with sprawling parking lot.

And I agree with the assessments about the store environment. It is pretty awful. It's in huge need of redevelopment.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 6:16 AM

The Safeway I currently shop at in the U of A area of Edmonton was slated for a redevelopment this spring, alas the economic downturn was indicated as a reason for canceling the plans. I'm sure that Safeway is taking such a cautious route with all of its stores.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 9:18 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
The Safeway I currently shop at in the U of A area of Edmonton was slated for a redevelopment this spring, alas the economic downturn was indicated as a reason for canceling the plans. I'm sure that Safeway is taking such a cautious route with all of its stores.
are you talking about the Safeway on Whyte Avenue with the Shoppers Drug Mart in the same parking lot? if you are, that one is in the major league's compared to the Safeway we're talking about. the one on Lonsdale is like a Family Foods...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 12:07 PM

yeah, that's the one. they were supposed to tear down the shoppers and liquor store, build on that end of the property, and then demolish the old store. currently the store is quite run down and ridiculously understaffed. the staff issue comes with the territory in alberta though. not much they can do about that.

the one in lonsdale must be pretty bad.

safeway, other than its canadian head office in calgary, is headquartered in california. the deeper nature of the american recession is the guiding factor here i think, which makes me believe that all such plans would be on hold.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 5:11 PM

The problem with the Safeway at Lonsdale and 13th is that Safeway only has a 50% interest in that site. The fact that they haven’t renovated the store probably indicates that there is interest in redevelopment, but I don’t think we’ll hear about any plans until the Central Lonsdale Planning Study is complete; maybe in 2010 or 2011. In any event, I’d say it’s more likely that the site will be sold to a developer like Anthem, who would build a new, more ‘urban’ Safeway, with additional retail, and possibly office or residential.

Hopefully they can assemble that odd little restaurant that fronts on 14th…

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 7:28 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

we've gone way off topic here, i think this should just be changed to the Central Lonsdale thread or something. everyone (present party included) is going off on the Safeway, and forgetting that the Extra Foods site development.

that said, it'd be nice to see a new mixed use complex put on 13 Street and Lonsdale that includes an more modern safeway and perhaps incorporates some of the other buidlings around.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 4:53 PM

sales centre

Anyone know when the sales centre is to open?

What about the food store is there a set date for when it's to close their doors?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 11:38 PM
ON3P Skis

Sales Centre previews start November 6th.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 2:12 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

I happened to stumble on this accidentally:

http://www.localonlonsdale.com/

Gives out more details on whats going on site. Couple renderings as well.

Looks like they're selling the view and that its going to be 20 floors.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 5:00 PM

25 sales on the first weekend (of 175 units). Not earth-shattering, but pretty strong.

Other developers including Onni (Safeway site) and Wesgroup (Lonsdale and 13th) will be watching sales of this one closely to see how/when they will proceed on their towers.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 7:10 PM
ON3P Skis

Can someone amend the title here? "Local on Lonsdale", 20 floors, approved (height is unknown, at least to me).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley