HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 1:46 PM

I can't wait until this Thursday to see the Bombers vs the Eskies at IGF field. Guaranteed over 30,000 in attendance for this one. Atmosphere for this one will be electric. Reilly vs Nichols, this is a great opportunity for the Bombers to show they belong in the conversation for Grey Cup contender and even a remote possibility of winning the West division.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 2:15 PM

Was at the Bombers/Tiger-Cats game last night. What stuck out the most was the difference between the teams in the pre-game warm up. We watched the last 15 minutes of it.

For the Bombers, each separate unit was constantly practicing one drill or another. If one unit took a breather for a minute they lined up in a formation and stood there and paid attention. They stayed on the field until the very end of the allotted time and left as a team.

The Tiger-Cats? Only a few players were actually taking part in drills. Half the team was literally milling around randomly. One group stood listening to a coach for two minutes and then practiced a basic hand-off. The team left the field well before the Bombers.

The first quarter? Winnipeg came out ready to play and the score of 9-0 flattered the Tiger-Cats.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 2:27 PM

^ The Bombers totally dominated last night's game... if anything, the score flattered the Ticats. It was kind of humorous to hear the frustration in Duane Forde's voice as the game wore on... during a 4th quarter scuffle he remarked that he was happy to see the Cats fight about "goddamn something", what a "fricking joke" it was, etc. Don't think I've heard a colour commentator get that hot under the collar before

The Ticats have clearly given up on Kent Austin... at this point not firing him is just prolonging the misery of that team's fanbase. They need to rip off the bandaid pronto.

But yes, the big test for the Bombers will be the game against Edmonton this week. After losing both games against elite western teams, a win would be a huge statement. In some respects the timing is right too what with the Eskimos' depleted roster.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 5:27 PM

It is concerning the talent gap between west division and east division teams. The CFL has had this problem off and on since the early 1980's but I am not sure I have ever seen it as bad as I have this year.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 7:03 PM

^ This is pretty well how it's been for as long as I can remember. Occasionally one of the league's top 3 powerhouse teams will be an eastern team which helps restore some balance, but more often than not 3 out of the 4 eastern teams are somewhere between mediocre and outright horrible.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 7:12 PM

I don't think any team is outright horrible. The Cats are the worst of the bunch but I don't think they are beyond hope. I saw several instances last night where Collaros had plenty of time to make a throw and he couldn't get rid of the ball.

I was shocked at Ottawa's record, no way they are that bad a team. They showed a stat (not sure if it was some kind of record) of how few points they've lost by.

There have been many years where the eastern teams have been absolutely brutal but I don't think this is one of them. The west teams are that good.

You wonder about the Cats though, if they are ready to or already have stopped playing for Austin and if the hiring of June Jones was in anticipation of making him the next HC.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 10:54 PM

West 24-9-1

East 7-22-1

I can't find a season so far in CFL history where not one team in the east division had a winning record. Maybe the league needs to have more revenue sharing so the eastern teams can improve their scouting departments?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 12:23 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
West 24-9-1

East 7-22-1

I can't find a season so far in CFL history where not one team in the east division had a winning record. Maybe the league needs to have more revenue sharing so the eastern teams can improve their scouting departments?
I think the standings so far are a bit flukey. Edmonton is 7-0 with 35 more points scored than allowed. They barely beat Hamilton. Ottawa is almost the opposite. It should even out. Both Montreal and Toronto have the potential to go over .500.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 12:40 AM
Mooderator

Don't worry. If you only win one game, you have a chance to be in the playoffs (sorta).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Don't worry. If you only win one game, you have a chance to be in the playoffs (sorta).
How does that work?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 1:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Eastern teams have still won a pretty good share of Grey Cups over the last 15-20 years.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Eastern teams have still won a pretty good share of Grey Cups over the last 15-20 years.
Since 1990, 10 for 27 (not counting Baltimore).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 6:40 PM

Some interesting stats concerning Canadian players so far, in the CFL season.

Jerome Messam is leading the league in rushing yards and rushing TDs, Andrew Harris is third and fourth respectively.

Brad Sinopoli is leading the league in receptions and third in yards. Anthony Coombs and Andrew Harris are fourth and fifth in receptions.

An important stat for receivers: yac (yards after catch) has Harris, Sinopoli and Coombs: 1,2,3

And finally the QB Efficiency leaders of the CFL are 1 and 2: Brandon Bridge and Andrew Buckley.

Ok, so that last one is a bogus measure, but it is true

Makes you wonder what would happen though if Buckley could ever get a shot, because he looks like one of the old timers out there for calmly distributing the ball.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 6:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Since 1990, 10 for 27 (not counting Baltimore).
I don't find it's that bad for the perennially weaker division of the two.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I think the standings so far are a bit flukey. Edmonton is 7-0 with 35 more points scored than allowed. They barely beat Hamilton. Ottawa is almost the opposite. It should even out. Both Montreal and Toronto have the potential to go over .500.
Agreed, I'm waiting for Ottawa to go on a roll. Hamilton I think might just play out the string, although they haven't showed very obvious signs of giving up yet.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Some interesting stats concerning Canadian players so far, in the CFL season.

Jerome Messam is leading the league in rushing yards and rushing TDs, Andrew Harris is third and fourth respectively.

Brad Sinopoli is leading the league in receptions and third in yards. Anthony Coombs and Andrew Harris are fourth and fifth in receptions.

An important stat for receivers: yac (yards after catch) has Harris, Sinopoli and Coombs: 1,2,3

And finally the QB Efficiency leaders of the CFL are 1 and 2: Brandon Bridge and Andrew Buckley.

Ok, so that last one is a bogus measure, but it is true

Makes you wonder what would happen though if Buckley could ever get a shot, because he looks like one of the old timers out there for calmly distributing the ball.
I do believe he'll get a shot next season or the year after, either in Calgary if Mitchell decides to try the NFL or elsewhere if another team shows interest in Buckley. He's only 25 IIRC, so not a big rush. And of course it could happen if Mitchell got injured.

On a related note, I haven't heard or seen the league playing up this factoid of leading Canadians. Have they not noticed or do they just not give a damn?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Agreed, I'm waiting for Ottawa to go on a roll. Hamilton I think might just play out the string, although they haven't showed very obvious signs of giving up yet.
Are you joking? The last few games were pretty clear indications.

I agree with Andy6 though insofar as the RBs have suffered from a few bad bounces that could have given them a better record. But even then they are at best on par with Montreal and Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Are you joking? The last two games were pretty clear indications.
There's a difference between being bad and giving up. Stegall seems to think they don't have the talent. I'm not sold just yet, the next game against Ottawa at THF is crucial for both teams, that should be the indicator for Hamilton where their future lies, with or without Austin as coach.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
On a related note, I haven't heard or seen the league playing up this factoid of leading Canadians. Have they not noticed or do they just not give a damn?
It's been more or less like that for the past few years with those players, except Sinopoli is on top so far, but he has been usually in the top ten so far in his career.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I agree with Andy6 though insofar as the RBs have suffered from a few bad bounces that could have given them a better record. But even then they are at best on par with Montreal and Toronto.
Ottawa is better than both Montreal and Toronto except the record says otherwise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada