HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 6:19 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
What does one expect from the Prairies these days? From this to poster child for narrow minded plainsfolk Brad Wall, flyover country is becoming a backward embarrassment.
Hey I'm from prairie land! And I would offer Rachel Notley, Naheed Nenshi, Kent Hehr and Ralph Goodale to counter your Brad Wall example.

www.behance.net/OlivierGraham

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 6:23 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
I posted the video because it was something that millions in Europe were watching on social media, easily accessible anywhere. I never once said I agreed with all of its content. And my ideas aren't offensive or ignorant, they are realistic when you look at the current state of the world that we live in. You can sit back in your parents basement & pretend these aren't dire times & think the Neville Chamberlain approach is the way to go but history has shown that if you offer these savages blankets they will thank you by cutting your head off.
You keep talking about Chamberlain, but nobody is talking about appeasing ISIS. Just because they don't want to nuke the entire Middle East the way you seem to want to doesn't mean they don't recognize the need for action against ISIS.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 6:27 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
You keep talking about Chamberlain, but nobody is talking about appeasing ISIS. Just because they don't want to nuke the entire Middle East the way you seem to want to doesn't mean they don't recognize the need for action against ISIS.
Thank you!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 6:37 AM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Action against ISIS as in pulling our jets outta the fight?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 6:38 AM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
What does one expect from the Prairies these days? From this to poster child for narrow minded plainsfolk Brad Wall, flyover country is becoming a backward embarrassment.
More personal attacks. I guess you guys don't see the irony in your posts

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 6:44 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Action against ISIS as in pulling our jets outta the fight?
If we were going to be nothing after that, then maybe you'd have a point. But we're not going to be doing nothing - we're going to be sending in even more training soldiers than we already have there for the Kurdish forces fighting against ISIS in the north of Iraq, which is a)more dangerous and b)just as important as dropping bombs.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 6:56 AM
Made in Edmonton

Quote:
If we were going to be nothing after that, then maybe you'd have a point. But we're not going to be doing nothing - we're going to be sending in even more training soldiers than we already have there for the Kurdish forces fighting against ISIS in the north of Iraq, which is a)more dangerous and b)just as important as dropping bombs.
Which is all good...cept are allies are bombing and putting boots on the ground to train also.

P.s nothing says hey there Jihadist like a 500 pound laser guided missile

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 7:35 AM
Regina 4 Life

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 7:36 AM

Trudeaumania!

RCMP, CSIS support Trudeau’s plan to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees

Quote:
The heads of Canada’s police and spy agencies are backing the Trudeau government’s plans to safely screen and bring in 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of the year.

A number of municipal and provincial politicians have called on the government to take longer to conduct security checks on the asylum seekers, but RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson and CSIS director Michel Coulombe insist the government’s plans are feasible.

Meanwhile, RCMP Commissioner Paulson, whose agency will conduct database checks on all refugees, said that all necessary security work can be quickly accomplished.

“Yes,” he answered in a direct question on the government’s ability to meet its deadline. “We will play a role in making the security checks and confirm people’s identity. In my view, the system is satisfactory.”

Added Mr. Coulombe, the director of CSIS: “I am confident that the measures in place are robust and … appropriate.”

The Public Safety Minister said federal officials would conduct database checks and biometrics tests to verify the ID of all refugees, in addition to submitting them to interviews. To do the task quickly, some officials from other agencies are being seconded to the operation, including border guards.

The government will bring in many refugees who have been stuck in camps for years, Mr. Goodale added, giving a priority to those who are the most vulnerable and pose the least potential security risk.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 7:42 AM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
In other words retreating & laying down our arms.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 7:45 AM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Yeah & the President of the United States said a few hours before the Paris attacks that ISIS was contained. Goodale is also on record saying they have no guarantees this will be foolproof.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah & the President of the United States said a few hours before the Paris attacks that ISIS was contained. Goodale is also on record saying they have no guarantees this will be foolproof.
Not quite sure what your line about Obama has to do with my post. Are you suggesting that because Obama was supposedly wrong about ISIS, that we should not defer to the expertise of the heads of our federal police and spy agency when it comes to refugees? It seems bizarre to me that you are apparently conflating these two individuals with a politician with whom they have no connection, either politically nor professionally.

Regardless, to your implied point of Obama being proven wrong about ISIS, my understanding is that Obama was speaking about ISIS being contained territorially (not influentially) which is actually quite significant given that the ability to hold and expand governable territory is a key factor to the perceived legitimacy of any supposed caliphate within its own ranks. Indeed, they have been contained territorially as most recently evidenced by their expulsion from Sinjar.

With respect to Goodale's comment - well, of course, nothing is ever guaranteed or foolproof, particularly when it comes to saving lives. It's about minimizing risks in a reasonable and measured manner. No amount of screening will ever guarantee that you're not going to get a couple bad apples. Personally I think it's worth the minimal risk knowing that these Syrian refugee children are going to grow up to be proud Canadians (and Torontonians!).

Last edited by Ramako; Nov 19, 2015 at 8:24 AM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 8:39 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
In other words retreating & laying down our arms.
God, why do you have to be so black and white about everything? You'd fit right in in the increasingly extremist US Republican Party.

Our trainers are actual soldiers with actual guns in actual danger. There's nothing 'retreating' or 'laying down arms' about it

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 8:53 AM

OK Migs we know where you stand and that of course if your own affair.

The question is...............what would YOU do?

We've bombed the crap out of ISIS and these terrorist backed stated, used diplomacy, economic sanctions, frozen assets, assasinations, intelligence sharing, training local militia and everything else under the sun and it hasn't done squat.

I want to know, what exactly would YOU do if you were in JT's shoes and why do you think it would work?

Its easy for us {yes I am including myself} to sit back and bitch but quite another to try to bring an end to these terror regimes when we seem to have tried everything and nothing has worked.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I can't attack MIGS the person
Quote:
Wow. Even more shocking than MIGS being a nurse.
Quote:
Unless you're counting brain cells. In which case MIGS' head would be home of a massacre.
Oh yeah for sure, I'd say you've done a mighty fine job of not attacking migs the person.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 11:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yep. This thread has descended into a vehicle for personal attacks and abuse by extremists on both sides of the debate and has become seriously diseased. I think it's time to lock it. Mods?!?!

In any event, I no longer intend to participate in this thread any longer........

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 12:56 PM

"Few answers despite the transparency promises: Trudeau government refuses to speak to the media"

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...e-transparence

I'm hoping to see "Stop Trudeau!" signs soon! The muzzling can't be allowed to continue! The 60%+ of Canadians who didn't vote for this must react!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 1:53 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Yep. This thread has descended into a vehicle for personal attacks and abuse by extremists on both sides of the debate and has become seriously diseased. I think it's time to lock it. Mods?!?!

In any event, I no longer intend to participate in this thread any longer........
After a while there's not much more you can say in a debate with a certain forumer than to call a spade a spade (as Rousseau pointed out). He's a troll. No other posters have had content removed so far for being blatantly racist.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 1:57 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
"Few answers despite the transparency promises: Trudeau government refuses to speak to the media"

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...e-transparence

I'm hoping to see "Stop Trudeau!" signs soon! The muzzling can't be allowed to continue! The 60%+ of Canadians who didn't vote for this must react!
This will prove to be Trudeau's biggest test. I'm going to wait a bit longer to see what happens though. So far Trudeau has been a breath of fresh air on the domestic front. With this exception everything I've read about the public service has been borderline euphoric since Harper left.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 1:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Good editorial in the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle27353020/
good piece.

Quote:
Fortunately, in typical Canadian fashion, a crowdfunding initiative to raise money to repair the Peterborough mosque has far surpassed its goals, and local residents have gone out of their way to show support for their devastated Muslim neighbours. There are far more good and decent people in Canada than hateful ones.
hear hear.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada