HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 8:40 PM

pfft, Canadians have a history of anti americanism PERIOD. and Trust me, it's well deserved.
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau

Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Serves Trudeau right. He may have never "technically" said who he wanted to win but he still made his views very clear.

It is the height of irresponsibility and poor diplomatic relations for a leader of any country to make even the remotest suggestion of whom they would like to see win in anther democratic country's election.
When did he do that?

He's practically the only leader who said NOTHING about the US election.
Justin Trudeau Throws Not-So-Subtle Digs At Trump In UN Speech - Huffington Post

Justin Trudeau takes on Donald Trump - Maclean's
>During the Maclean’s Town Hall, Justin Trudeau served up some strong political jabs against Donald Trump. Here’s why that’s a risky game.

JT has been smart to avoid specifically mentioning Trump by name. But it doesn't take much to read between the lines of his statements - he was clearly, like most Canadians, hoping for and expecting a Hillary win.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 11:23 PM
Heart of the Continent

It's just as likely he was referring to the division he saw as being caused by Harper.

I'm also not sure why it's a problem for him to speak out against ideas he disagrees with.

Trudeau said nothing against Trump - that's nothing but media spin.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 11:40 PM

Trudeau is a globalist neoliberal hack, of course he opposes what Trump stands for.

But just because he might not agree with Trump, it doesn't mean he won't get along with Trump. Different countries have different governments and different philosophies. Canada and the US are different places, Trudeau will do well to be diplomatic with Trump and not outright attack him.
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
It's just as likely he was referring to the division he saw as being caused by Harper.
LOL. Right, in response to a question about Trump, you assume his response refers to Harper?

Quote:
I'm also not sure why it's a problem for him to speak out against ideas he disagrees with.
If you don't think it's a problem, why are you making excuses for him?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 12:53 AM
Heart of the Continent

You're insinuating that he said something negative about Trump. He went out of his way to not say anything whilst staying true to his values. No excuses are necessary.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 9:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This is confusing and annoying.

The PCs here are very progressive when it comes to LGBT issues, especially trans rights. Steve Kent, who is one of the front-runners for the provincial PC Party leadership, has lots of LGBT friends and supporters - including basically any of prominence here.

Yet he's supporting Kellie Leitch for the federal party. I just don't get it. The PCs seem determined to strike up some sort of camaraderie with the federal Conservatives but that just doesn't work here.

Fortunately, everyone seems to be coming out swinging. He'll likely have to support another federal candidate, or he won't become the provincial leader. The Telegram went after him in today's editorial:

Leitch would import hate, American-style

Quote:
Thank you, Steve Kent.
Now, change the candidate you’re supporting or go away. Far away.

In Gander recently, the MHA and potential Progressive Conservative leadership candidate once again signalled his support for Kellie Leitch, one of the plethora of Tories seeking to replace Stephen Harper as the leader of the federal Conservative Party.

Since then, Leitch apparently decided overt racism and hate-based politics should be brought to Canada.

“Tonight, our American cousins threw out the elites and elected Donald Trump as their next president,” Leitch wrote in a fundraising email right after Trump’s win. “It’s an exciting message and one that we need delivered in Canada, as well.”

It’s not an exciting message — it’s a terrifying call to divisiveness.

And, as if doubling down, Leitch included her own particular call to separate the us and them.

“I’m the only candidate who will ensure that every visitor, immigrant, and refugee will be screened for Canadian values,” Leitch wrote in the email.

Great, Dr. Leitch— you’re also the only candidate who should be summarily heaved out of the race.

Now, you can understand something of Leitch’s approach: she says her team surveyed Canadians, and 70 per cent backed the idea of screening for Canadian values. What are those? Here’s part of her explanation to Toronto Life: “Well, I am trying to be very clear. Maybe defining Canadian identity isn’t important to you. It’s not important to our prime minister. If we have a core identity as a country, we have a shared set of values, we protect those, we have new immigrants coming into the country, we can integrate them into that shared value set, and we become an even stronger country together in the future.”

Ah, if it was only so simple.

It’s not a negative, it’s a positive!

As part of this integration plan, Dr. Leitch, will you be testing all Canadians to establish their adherence to Canadian values like tolerance as well? Will you be requiring them to check their biases at the door? Thought not.

Don’t lose sight of the effect of this plan by concentrating on its pretty Canadian-core-identity wrapping paper. While Leitch complains that she’s being hideously misunderstood, suggesting it’s all about finding the people “more like us” as immigrants and not blocking out “those nasty people not like us,” the end result is pretty much the same.

The blocking out goes on just the same, and in the process, it teaches our kids and others that those who aren’t like us are to be feared, kept at arm’s length and not trusted. It normalizes the idea that only the familiar are worth having as friends and companions. It normalizes racism, in our schoolyards, kitchens and playgrounds.

And how far away are you really from saying, “We only hire the white people because they all get along more smoothly” and believing that’s somehow a good thing?

Let’s be blunt: even considering the idea is an incubator for hatred, and if you don’t believe that, all you have to do is to look at the foaming test tube to the south of us, and the immediate attacks on people of colour through Twitter and other methods. Leitch may think that’s all an exciting message. It isn’t. It’s sad spectacle of a once-great nation turning in on itself and preparing to attack its own.

We can do much, much better than to follow the American dream down the American drain.

Mr. Kent, your antenna for public reaction is usually pretty good.

Time to sever this relationship, lest the Leitch millstone becomes a comfortable necklace.
http://www.thetelegram.com/Opinion/C...erican-style/1

EDIT: Quite a few LGBT organizations in the city and province are condemning his endorsement of Leitch, which was given prior to her celebrating Trump. Kent was vocally anti-Trump, so the assumption is his endorsement will be withdrawn.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Nov 15, 2016 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
pfft, Canadians have a history of anti americanism PERIOD. and Trust me, it's well deserved.
Care to expand on this?

https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 3:10 AM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
This is confusing and annoying.

The PCs here are very progressive when it comes to LGBT issues, especially trans rights. Steve Kent, who is one of the front-runners for the provincial PC Party leadership, has lots of LGBT friends and supporters - including basically any of prominence here.

Yet he's supporting Kellie Leitch for the federal party. I just don't get it. The PCs seem determined to strike up some sort of camaraderie with the federal Conservatives but that just doesn't work here.

Fortunately, everyone seems to be coming out swinging. He'll likely have to support another federal candidate, or he won't become the provincial leader. The Telegram went after him in today's editorial:

Leitch would import hate, American-style

http://www.thetelegram.com/Opinion/C...erican-style/1

EDIT: Quite a few LGBT organizations in the city and province are condemning his endorsement of Leitch, which was given prior to her celebrating Trump. Kent was vocally anti-Trump, so the assumption is his endorsement will be withdrawn.
I know it's not "in" to say this but I don't think there is anything particularly outrageous about expecting immigrants to adopt *mostly* Canadian ways.

OTOH I doubt that a Leitch-ist values test would be useful to this objective.

Nor would I trust Tories of that penchant to plan and carry out this delicate an operation.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 3:41 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know it's not "in" to say this but I don't think there is anything particularly outrageous about expecting immigrants to adopt *mostly* Canadian ways.

Nor would I trust Tories of that penchant to plan and carry out this delicate an operation.
She's the antichrist here now. I think she's the only leadership contender whose name people here know And only because of opposition.

Even the progressive Mom groups are getting on him.

You'd think she'd be more LGBT friendly with that hairstyle, just sayin'.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 3:48 AM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
She's the antichrist here now. I think she's the only leadership contender whose name people here know And only because of opposition.

Even the progressive Mom groups are getting on him.

You'd think she'd be more LGBT friendly with that hairstyle, just sayin'.
Is Leitch really anti-gay, or is this just the latest variant on "minorities-gotta-stick-together"?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
Care to expand on this?
Political differences between the 2 countries are pretty large in particular when it comes to war and healthcare.

Most Canadians I know see the US as an obstacle for world peace.
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 3:52 AM

Why does Newfoundland and Labrador have so many activist groups? We here in Northern Ontario have more people yet I am not aware of such specific groups that I see in NL. Do those types of organizations do much outside St. John's or are they urban-focused? Northern Ontario is quite left-wing but maybe it's the activist part that we don't do so much or as well?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 3:57 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Why does Newfoundland and Labrador have so many activist groups? We here in Northern Ontario have more people yet I am not aware of such specific groups that I see in NL. Do those types of organizations do much outside St. John's or are they urban-focused? Northern Ontario is quite left-wing but maybe it's the activist part that we don't do so much or as well?
I honestly don't know... but, as I'm sure is obvious, please keep in mind the population here is small so the number of people in any of these groups is quite small as well.

But, yeah, there tends to be a group here for everything.

This group was one that made me laugh out loud, for example, when I saw their float in the Pride parade:

http://nlbabywearers.blogspot.ca/

Even that has a group.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Yeah I don't think any of the ideas Leitch has proposed have really been that shocking. I think the thing that has given her this poor image is her embrace of Trump, as it implies at least a quiet support and endorsement of everything he's said.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 4:08 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Yeah I don't think any of the ideas Leitch has proposed have really been that shocking. I think the thing that has given her this poor image is her embrace of Trump, as it implies at least a quiet support and endorsement of everything he's said.
I think the issue is making these sorts of things the focus. When you're from a place where your parents' generation came to blows over which denomination of Christianity they belonged to, you're naturally raised to be wary of this sort of "values" shit. It's not even conscious - it just immediately makes you uncomfortable because you know... people who agree on everything and would be friends will be divided by shining a light on this sort of thing. Some things are best left undisturbed in such a divided federation. If we were Slovenia, or Iceland, or any small, homogenous country, sure, dig it up. But Canada? No. It won't work in Canada.

For example, she wants to screen for Canadian values. Everyone says O.K., sure, even me. But what Canadian values? Instant civil war. So you just don't go there. You take your chances.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
There isn't any evidence that that's true. My observations are that SHH probably just brings them to this forum more than others do (anecdotal) Newfoundlanders have lots of time on their hands. On the other hand - Nflders have always identified as "outsiders", so there could be a relationship there with outsider groups.

Last edited by Architype; Nov 15, 2016 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 4:13 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
There isn't any evidence that that's true. My observations are that SHH probably just brings them to this forum more than others do (anecdotal) Newfoundlanders have lots of time on their hands.
You could be right, but I only have a couple hundred FB friends, and half of them live away, so my exposure to all these groups is pretty limited to what I see on FB and around town. There's definitely a group for everything bored white people could want.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 4:17 AM

^ I edited my post with another thought.

But, it doesn't take that much effort to start a facebook group!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 4:21 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm not sure what to think about it. But, if I wanted to give it a positive spin... I think it's just an extension of the strong sense of community, people also want that for their interests. Just look at the St. John's SSP section - you're not even here, living away, and yet we've all still met you. We get together all the time, we all know each other, and each other's girlfriends/boyfriends, go to birthday parties, go out for a night, etc. Constantly.

SSP is no different than Babywearing in that way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada