HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I don't think the dispute is a matter of whether or not people have a right to create the thread, but rather whether the decision to make it is right. To say that all things are equally right as long as you have an equal right to do them doesn't make much sense imo.
The precedent was set by the Harper thread,when or how long it took to create is irrelevant, once again. It actually makes perfect sense and both are equal. If I were to follow the guidelines as you've presented them..both threads should be closed..

But personally, I don't really care if either exists..

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 5:48 PM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
Migs, let's explain it in a way you can understand... It's like engaging argument with you. We could fight with you forever and ever and we know nothing will change and it will only get you going even more and come after us with argument after argument and add fuel to your fire. it only gets us more frustrated so we keep fighting back. We should just stop talking to you and back away from the conversation, not because we are cowardly and irresponsible, but because we know that there is no clear end and we are doing more harm than good, and you should always have an exit strategy, just like a smart PM and not engage in war forever and ever.

Does this make sense to you?
I hear what you're saying and I'm not here to change your mind. I like reading others opinions & I enjoy the discussion between folks who have different ideas about politics. Conversations are a good thing.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
You're correct that he hasn't taken office yet, this thread is in response to Trudeau acting as though he was during his phone call with Obama.
This thread can be a catch all of all Trudeau related shenanigans I think, including election stuff, post election stuff, his actions as PM-elect, and eventually his actions as PM.

I don't particularly like the Liberals, that's true, but even I am surprised Trudeau managed to do something I feel is inappropriate less than 24 hours after being elected.

We are in for a fun 4 years.

I also have to laugh at all the voices calling for this thread to be closed or indignant at it's mere existence. It's a natural continuation of the Stephen Harper is BS thread, a thread that was allowed to exist for many years and served a great purpose in amalgamating all political talk into a single thread.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 5:53 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Trudeau is going to screw this country.
Correction: Harper did real, tangible damage to this country. Trudeau will hopefully repair some of that. It remains to be seen.

Canada doesn't naturally skew so far to the right the way the Harper regime tried to push it. I expect that things will start to feel normal again in the coming years.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 5:57 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
I also have to laugh at all the voices calling for this thread to be closed or indignant at it's mere existence. It's a natural continuation of the Stephen Harper is BS thread, a thread that was allowed to exist for many years and served a great purpose in amalgamating all political talk into a single thread.
Sure, but think about it: the Harper thread started when?

This one started as a honey pot for the right wing idiots on this forum before Trudeau has even officially taken office. It's shrill and empty. It would be interesting to have some intelligent contributors from that side of the aisle, but it seems the proportional numbers don't really allow for it.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:02 PM

We entered WW I to defend the British Empire. To pretend it was anything else is simply historical revisionism. Hell, we didn't even legally have the capacity to not go since our foreign policy was under control of the Empire.

We didn't know about the atrocities of the Nazi regime when we declared war. Even the antisemitism of the regime was not a red flag as there was a fair share of it throughout the Western world.

ISIS rose because of the American involvement in Iraq. The Taliban rose because of Soviet involvement in Afghanistan. Western intervention in the Middle East has proven time and time again to cause a rise in Islamic radicalism. This is not a war that can be won militarily, as the movement is largely a violent rebellion against Western intervention.

ISIS is worse than Sadam or the Taliban, but if we defeat them we will only cause the rise of another group.

The West has no place militarily in the Middle East.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:05 PM

Migs - perhaps you would be better off sticking to updating the Regina Stadium twitter feed instead of this.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:07 PM
Regina 4 Life

The folks who are calling me a troll for creating this thread do nothing but make themselves look bad through hypocracy & their belief that if the left do it it's ok, but if it's Conservatives it is unacceptable. These different rules for different people kinda reminds me of this.

Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Migs - perhaps you would be better off sticking to updating the Regina Stadium twitter feed instead of this.
Thought police is in full force I see.

New web site that tracks Trudeau's promises:

https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/

Somehow it only lists 166 promises. I could have sworn there were more. I can't find things like cancelling education/text book tax credits or reviewing Harper's finances.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:11 PM

Quote:
When The Conservative Party won with 39.62% in 2011 - Liberals viewed it as a crime against democracy.

When The Liberal Party wins with 39.5% of the vote in 2015, somehow it becomes a brilliant victory.
Also note, the conservatives also ran on electoral reform, increased transparency, and increased accountability.

There are a lot of uncomfortably familiar parallels between the content of both these party platforms when they got elected to similar % of the vote across Canada. Much more so than people here seem to be willing to admit.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:12 PM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
For future reference, is "BS" where he does something inconsistent with the election platform, or just something somebody happens to disagree with?
Not entirely true. The BS also consists to doing exactly the same thing Trudeau accused his predecessor of doing.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:13 PM

Quote:
This isn't a stupid thread, it's no different that the Harper BS thread that's been here for years. We shall see what hope & change brings to Canada, you can bet Trudeau will be held to account.
Months ago I changed the title of the Harper BS thread to Stephen Harper's Canada as I thought it was unfair to label a non-partisan discussion thread in such a loaded way. I'm tempted to do the same here.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegan View Post
Wow.. really? I think the political threads need to vamoose. Skyscraperpage people.. skyscrapers. Unless this is about urban infrastructure related issues, in which case we can see which part had a better platform here:
http://www.canadianurbanism.ca/2015-election/

sooooo...
Skyscraper page has been talking about politics since before you were even a member.

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189074

By the way, the content of that thread shows the hypocrisy of the narrative regarding closing this thread that is occurring here.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:15 PM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Sure, but think about it: the Harper thread started when?

This one started as a honey pot for the right wing idiots on this forum before Trudeau has even officially taken office. It's shrill and empty. It would be interesting to have some intelligent contributors from that side of the aisle, but it seems the proportional numbers don't really allow for it.
More personal attacks. Keep them coming.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:17 PM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Months ago I changed the title of the Harper BS thread to Stephen Harper's Canada as I thought it was unfair to label a non-partisan discussion thread in such a loaded way. I'm tempted to do the same here.
That is fair. Your timing is impeccable

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:20 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
The folks who are calling me a troll for creating this thread do nothing but make themselves look bad through hypocracy & their belief that if the left do it it's ok, but if it's Conservatives it is unacceptable. These different rules for different people kinda reminds me of this.

I think you and your group are whining about the result even more than lefties whined in 2011. Let's face it, most Canadians accept that majorities are typically formed with less than 50% of the popular vote. Only twice in the last 60 years have there been majorities that got 50% or more...

It's really just the shrill partisan types (on either side) who attempt to discredit governments for failing to get 50% of the popular vote when in reality this number doesn't matter in our system. To use a sports analogy, it's like watching your football team get beat but then claiming your team is better because it racked up more net yards. That's nice, but who gives a shit?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:23 PM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
To be fair to the US, WWI started as an European Imperial war. Why would a republic across the ocean get involved? Canada OTOH was still basically a colony of empire and we were engaged weather we wanted to or not.

In WWII the US would have just taken on Japan if Hitler had not declared war on the US after Pearl Harbor.

Lots of real politik in action here.

On another note I have grave concerns about the state of our Navy and Air Force if Leslies becomes Defence Minister and is allowed to implement his proposals for Defence reorganization.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...ws-for-halifax
A great big gasp of "opps" coming out of Nova Scocia.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:25 PM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think you and your group are whining about the result even more than lefties whined in 2011. Let's face it, most Canadians accept that majorities are typically formed with less than 50% of the popular vote. Only twice in the last 60 years have there been majorities that got 50% or more...

It's really just the shrill partisan types (on either side) who attempt to discredit governments for failing to get 50% of the popular vote when in reality this number doesn't matter in our system. To use a sports analogy, it's like watching your football team get beat but then claiming your team is better because it racked up more net yards. That's nice, but who gives a shit?
Nobody is whining, go have a look for yourself in the election thread how I responded to the results late Monday night. Pointing out left hypocracy however is fun. Cheer up, your man is in power.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:30 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Nobody is whining, go have a look for yourself in the election thread how I responded to the results late Monday night. Pointing out left hypocracy however is fun. Cheer up, your man is in power.
Your point is true... there is no electoral reform advocate as committed as a dedicated partisan whose party just lost.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada