HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Trudeau will hopefully repair some of that. It remains to be seen.

So allow the thread to evolve,by you own commentary, we won't know if the situation will improve or not? Could it get worse?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:33 PM
Canadian Urbanite

What exactly did the Harper and Conservative team do to make Canada a better place? What policies have made Canada a better place since 2006? I am genuinely curious....

The verdict on Trudeau remains to be seen. He could lead brilliant change in this country, or perhaps we will see more of the same. But he hasn't even taken office yet.....

Last edited by CCF; Oct 22, 2015 at 6:42 PM. Reason: wrong word!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:40 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
What exactly did the Harper and Conservative team do to make Canada a better place? What policies made Canada a better place prior to 2006? I am genuinely curious....
Ummm...no more uneducated and misinformed (no long census) scientists blabbing about sciencey things?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Sure, but think about it: the Harper thread started when?

It's shrill and empty. It would be interesting to have some intelligent contributors from that side of the aisle, but it seems the proportional numbers don't really allow for it.
It doesn't matter when the other thread started, chalk it up to social media or the pace of news increasing at an incredible rate,the Need it this second age, we want to talk about it before it even happens..

Hence the beginning, we'll examine his decisions and present them here. When for example he cancels the F-15 purchase we can examine what the Liberals will purchase at that time? Maybe we can add more $$ to the CF-18 and fly the thing for another 15 years? Who knows. Patience.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:54 PM

Quote:
What exactly did the Harper and Conservative team do to make Canada a better place? What policies made Canada a better place prior to 2006? I am genuinely curious....

The verdict on Trudeau remains to be seen. He could lead brilliant change in this country, or perhaps we will see more of the same. But he hasn't even taken office yet.....
The Harper government passed legislation creating over 82,000,000 km2 of national park areas under the management of Parks Canada. This is among the most, it not the most, creation of national park lands by any Prime Minister in history. It totals about 25% of the total national park protected area.

They also doubled the Parks Canada budget for the next 5 years from $550 million a year to $1.1 billion a year.

Last edited by khabibulin; Oct 22, 2015 at 7:07 PM. Reason: forgot to add expansion of Nahanni

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:54 PM

Quote:
What exactly did the Harper and Conservative team do to make Canada a better place? What policies have made Canada a better place since 2006? I am genuinely curious....
This thread is about Justin, not Harper. If you are serious just read about it.

You can start here, here, and here.

Also I would say his administration had one of the most brilliant and effective political responses to Quebec sovereignty.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:56 PM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
The Harper government passed legislation creating over 57,000,000 km2 of national park areas under the management of Parks Canada. This is among the most, it not the most, creation of national park lands by any Prime Minister in history.

They also doubled the Parks Canada budget for the next 5 years from $550 million a year to $1.1 billion a year.
Also increased funding to First Nations by over $2B dollars.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:57 PM

To be fair for the voting percentages, there were lots of NDP voters (myself included) thrilled to see Trudeau win as they wanted Harper out.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
To be fair for the voting percentages, there were lots of NDP voters (myself included) thrilled to see Trudeau win as they wanted Harper out.
Agreed. I voted NDP but wanted Trudeau to be Prime Minister. I assumed, incorrectly, that my incumbent NDP candidate - who has consistently gotten more than 70% of the vote - would be impossible for an unknown Liberal challenger to beat.

There are diehard Liberals who hate the NDP, and diehard NDPers who hate the Liberals, but a country under either of them is closer to what they all want than Harper and the Conservatives.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 7:03 PM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
It doesn't matter when the other thread started, chalk it up to social media or the pace of news increasing at an incredible rate,the Need it this second age, we want to talk about it before it even happens..

Hence the beginning, we'll examine his decisions and present them here. When for example he cancels the F-15 purchase we can examine what the Liberals will purchase at that time? Maybe we can add more $$ to the CF-18 and fly the thing for another 15 years? Who knows. Patience.
That won't happen as the airframes are approaching the end of their lifespan. More than half of the original 138 jets that were purchased have already been mothballed. Last I heard there are only 65 Hornets left in service.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Agreed. I voted NDP but wanted Trudeau to be Prime Minister. I assumed, incorrectly, that my incumbent NDP candidate - who has consistently gotten more than 70% of the vote - would be impossible for an unknown Liberal challenger to beat.

There are diehard Liberals who hate the NDP, and diehard NDPers who hate the Liberals, but a country under either of them is closer to what they all want than Harper and the Conservatives.
Ya, while only 39% of Canadians voted Grit, I'd say closer to 50% were happy with the result.

When 39% of Canadians voted Torrie, I'd say that was a more accurate reflection of those happy with the result.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 7:38 PM
As seen on SSC ;)

Quote:
The precedent was set by the Harper thread,when or how long it took to create is irrelevant, once again. It actually makes perfect sense and both are equal. If I were to follow the guidelines as you've presented them..both threads should be closed..

But personally, I don't really care if either exists..
False.

The terms as I presented them are that both threads should remain open because the site is simply a platform for discussion and there is no reason for it to make judgement calls on the validity of people's opinions. But they are not equal because in the first case the party had time to develop a track record worth discussing and criticizing and in the other it hasn't. How long it took to create is irrelevant in terms of whether or not it should stay open, but relevant in terms of whether or not the creator is acting silly.

My comment was not about whether or not the thread should be closed, but only whether or not it's creation should be considered stupid. It should stay open, and it should be considered stupid.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
That won't happen as the airframes are approaching the end of their lifespan. More than half of the original 138 jets that were purchased have already been mothballed. Last I heard there are only 65 Hornets left in service.
Yes they are. It was an example for the poster I replied to reg: the thread. In the posters mind, the thread lacks substance or detail, a knee jerk reaction by sore losers. When information on the Liberals plans becomes available, we'll discuss it in more detail.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
He's not even technically prime minister yet.

In any case, the Yanks caused the rise of ISIS, let them deal with it.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 8:02 PM

Quote:
The precedent was set by the Harper thread, when or how long it took to create is irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
. It should stay open, and it should be considered stupid.
Well, I'll agree with the bolded, but the rest, for me, will be filed under personal opinion, which is what all public forums and discussions usually end up being, (with a smattering of actual facts, emotion, personal experience, etc..) added in.. .

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 8:05 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
There are 77 Hornets in service. They could be life extended for eternity. Trudeau has promised to to buy new jets that aren't the F-35 - probably in a small enough number (40-50) that we can't deploy them for any extended period in the future.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 8:08 PM
Regina 4 Life

Trudeau is now concerned about offending the terrorists. So listen up folks, don't call terrorists terrorist. smh.

http://en.cijnews.com/?p=11439

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 8:10 PM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
There are 77 Hornets in service. They could be life extended for eternity. Trudeau has promised to to buy new jets that aren't the F-35 - probably in a small enough number (40-50) that we can't deploy them for any extended period in the future.
Wrong. There are only 65 in active service & some can be recommissioned if need be. And no you cannot extend the life of a combat aircraft for eternity.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 8:16 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Wrong. There are only 65 in active service & some can be recommissioned if need be.
There are 77 flyable Hornets. There were 80 modernized, and we lost 3. The 77 remaining are being further life extended to be flyable until 2025. Harper wasn't replacing them any time soon. Trudeau says he'll begin the process to replace them immediately. We'll see what happens.

There are, btw, only 48 Hornets attached to active combat squadrons. Of those, only 8 are available immediately, with 70% (34) being in ready to go condition at any given time.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 8:17 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Trudeau is now concerned about offending the terrorists. So listen up folks, don't call terrorists terrorist. smh.

http://en.cijnews.com/?p=11439
You don't think it was an act of violence?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada