HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 6:32 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Well your original question was
Nothing was said about "need".
And my question was not really aimed at Bombardier, but rather in response to your comment and what defines whether "a company is a good thing for the country".

No flaming or trolling implied, but rather an honest question of what type of commerce should we seek.

I'm in New Zealand now involved in discussions on what future commerce could look like here at the end of the world, hence my curiosity.
I have no idea what type of commerce we should seek in the future, but I do know that it's usually easier to try and keep* the "commerce" you already have, than it is to build a new one from scratch.

*Not at any price of course, but within reason.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Don't forget the Bombardier Transportation (the rail division) is based in Berlin. Assuming it does get consumed into A-S, it won't have a big impact on Bombardier in Canada.
Well yes it could. Bombardier Transportation is a wholly owned subsidiary of Bombardier Inc., headquarter for the whole company (aerospace and transportation), which is based in Montreal, as well as the headquarter for Bombardier Aerospace (both global and North America).

Bombardier Transportation has also many engineering and manufacturing facilities in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 7:36 PM

Quote:
And by the way, Airbus, which is 11 per cent owned by the French government and touted as a European corporate champion, had the sweet joy of exposing U.S. President Donald Trump as a true chump.
How do you figure that? Trump managed to get exactly what he wanted - the C-series will be built in Alabama now.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
No flaming or trolling implied, but rather an honest question of what type of commerce should we seek.
I'd say generally speaking we should favor any industry/business that is

1) Sustainable/permanent, and
2) as much "value added" as possible.

Now, having tried to answer your question in a vacuum to the best of my knowledge, let's look at aerospace. It turns out it meets both these characteristics very well. So, desirable industry, I'd say.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 7:55 PM

--

Last edited by ainvan; Oct 18, 2017 at 2:13 AM. Reason: Wrong thread

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:01 PM
I used to be THAT guy

As long as they pronounce Quayside "kee-side" and not "kway-side", I promise no one will get hurt.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
How do you figure that? Trump managed to get exactly what he wanted - the C-series will be built in Alabama now.
Assembled. And just for the US market.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:13 PM
Suburbs Suck

Sea-doo, Ski-doo, and Can-Am kick ass! That's my shoutout to Bombardier.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post
Google Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs strikes deal to turn 800 acres of Toronto into an ‘internet city’

Interesting concept with the underground infrastructure. Now will the city/Metrolinx take this opportunity to put the Queens Quay East LRT line underground instead of on the street? With all the employment and residential density being built in the East Bayfront, Port Lands and East Harbour site, the demand will more than justify it.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 9:57 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Don't forget the Bombardier Transportation (the rail division) is based in Berlin. Assuming it does get consumed into A-S, it won't have a big impact on Bombardier in Canada.
Umm, you may want to revisit your quote. I never said any such thing. Rather you are quoting from a news item that SaskOttaLoo posted.

Thanks

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 9:59 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
I'd say generally speaking we should favor any industry/business that is

1) Sustainable/permanent, and
2) as much "value added" as possible.

Now, having tried to answer your question in a vacuum to the best of my knowledge, let's look at aerospace. It turns out it meets both these characteristics very well. So, desirable industry, I'd say.
What is the definition of sustainable/permanent?
"value added"? Is this physical? Monetary? Mental? Cultural? Shorterm? Longtem?

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 10:04 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Wait, has it been confirmed that Airbus now owns the intellectual property for this? Will this mean they could incorporate these technologies into a future aircraft? If so, wtf...

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Wait, has it been confirmed that Airbus now owns the intellectual property for this? Will this mean they could incorporate these technologies into a future aircraft? If so, wtf...
the aircraft is just 10 years ahead of others, but the technology is not secret.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 10:24 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
My understanding is it will be assembled in Alabama, which implies it will continue to be manufactured in Quebec. Assembly is low tech, which may mean the specialized manufacturing technologies would remain in Canada, unless the IP Airbus receives includes the manufacturing technologies. In which case WTF...

OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 10:26 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
the aircraft is just 10 years ahead of others, but the technology is not secret.
A 10 year edge takes billions to acquire in this industry.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
My understanding is it will be assembled in Alabama, which implies it will continue to be manufactured in Quebec. Assembly is low tech, which may mean the specialized manufacturing technologies would remain in Canada, unless the IP Airbus receives includes the manufacturing technologies. In which case WTF...
the assembly line in Mirabel has a production capacity of 140 airplanes / year. The one in Alabama should be a lot smaller.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Regarding the deal with Airbus, it's been criticized because of the C-Series assembly line that will be set up in Alabama as a result of Trump's bullying.

While there is truth in this, the economic activity generated by the C-Series in Alabama will still help to "buoy" Bombardier overall (or at least stabilize it), and allow it to continue to grow its product lines and its R&D and innovation work. And much of this activity will take place in Canada.
It's still a bit depressing that Canada can't make a go of this alone.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
It's funny how often I heard "pipelines mean more jobs for Alberta and not Canada" in this forum and there weren't 50 people waiting to jump down that guy's throat for daring to suggest what benefits one region might not benefit the entirety of Canada.

Weird how that works.
Nobody's "benefitting" from this:

Alberta’s oil and gas industry – Canada’s largest producer of fossil fuel resources – could be emitting 25 to 50% more methane than previously believed, new research has suggested.

The pioneering peer reviewed study, published in Environmental Science & Technology on Tuesday, used airplane surveys to measure methane emissions from oil and gas infrastructure in two regions in Alberta. The results were then compared with industry-reported emissions and estimates of unreported sources of the powerful greenhouse gas, which warm the planet more than 20 times as much as similar volumes of carbon dioxide.

“Our first reaction was ‘Oh my goodness, this is a really big deal,” said Matthew Johnson, a professor at Carleton University in Ottawa and one of the study’s authors. “If we thought it was bad, it’s worse.”...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-than-thought

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:40 AM

Quote:
My read of the news article is Bombardier setup the c-series as a separate company. The provincial government owns around 20%, Bombarier 30% and airbus 51%. You would expect the IP that is owned by the program to be owned by this subsidiary.

I suspect the IP is spread across Bombardier, their C-series subsidiary that they are selling a stake in and a host of suppliers.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:04 AM

--

Last edited by ainvan; Oct 18, 2017 at 2:13 AM. Reason: Wrong thread

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada