HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 6:35 PM

I completely understand why Newfoundlanders are upset about this budget............drastic spending cuts backed by higher taxes is a tough pill to swallow.

Of course the government opposition, both in the legislature and people at large, will complain bitterly and try to make as much political mileage they can but what exactly is their alternative proposal?

It's very easy to bitch about someone else's decisions but a hell of a lot harder when they are forced to come up with alternatives.

So what are the other political parties or protestors offering as an alternative?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 6:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The NDP is offering the replace the Deficit Reduction Levy with an additional increase to income taxes, which is a more progressive form of taxation.

The PCs and most of the protestors are, as far as I can tell, proposing nothing.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 7:20 PM
you go on ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Interesting, is this being spun as positive in Ontario? Alberta just had their rating downgraded by Moody's (although it is still one level above Ontario's) and it is going over the opposite way - as a negative thing. Or is Ontario's rating actually going up to AA2?
The rating remains the same, however the outlook has been changed from negative to stable.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Interesting, is this being spun as positive in Ontario? Alberta just had their rating downgraded by Moody's (although it is still one level above Ontario's) and it is going over the opposite way - as a negative thing. Or is Ontario's rating actually going up to AA2?
What part of improved credit outlook/credit rating downgrade is confusing you? Alberta's rating remains higher than Ontario's even with the latest changes, as you note. Not sure where the "spin" is to be found.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Apr 27, 2016 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 9:41 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
What part of improved credit outlook/credit rating downgrade is confusing you? Alberta's rating remains higher than Ontario's even with the latest changes, as you note. Not sure where the "spin" is to be found.
That is my question. I am saying in Alberta the downgrade is being looked at in a negative light. I am wondering how the Ontario rating is being perceived. On one hand it is good that the rating is being upgraded, on the other it can be seen as a sign as to the poor financial situation that the province is/was.

That's all I'm asking, how is this being received in Ontario. There is no confusion here.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
That is my question. I am saying in Alberta the downgrade is being looked at in a negative light. I am wondering how the Ontario rating is being perceived. On one hand it is good that the rating is being upgraded, on the other it can be seen as a sign as to the poor financial situation that the province is/was.

That's all I'm asking, how is this being received in Ontario. There is no confusion here.
The improved outlook for Ontario probably reflects the progress being made on the provincial deficit. A change (improvement) in Ontario's credit rating is probably still a couple of years away (inshallah), once the deficit turns to surplus and debt repayment picks up.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 10:27 PM

I don't see much complaining on here about the NDP in Alberta. Fair to say Notley is a strong leader doing a good job considering what she inherited?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
I don't see much complaining on here about the NDP in Alberta. Fair to say Notley is a strong leader doing a good job considering what she inherited?

LOL, I assume you are trolling...

Quote:
A new poll by ThinkHQ for Metro News finds 63% of Alberta are not confident the NDP can improve the economy. Only 30% are optimistic the government can improve things. ThinkHQ president Marc Henry says the poll shows just how important it is that the government get the April 14th budget right.

A slight majority of Albertans, 51%, blame the [NDP] government for the economic downturn. 45% say the NDP is not responsible.
http://www.newstalk770.com/2016/04/1...or-ndp-budget/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 11:40 PM

Well, your own link shows only 51% blame the NDP the economic downturn so hardly trolling. How the NDP is to blame for the global decline in oil prices is beyond me, nor were they responsible for the fiscal mismanagement, lack of foresight and overspending of the Conservatives.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 12:48 AM

She may not be popular but I think they are doing a good job, especially considering the circumstances. And there is going to some blissful irony if it turns out that after years of provincial and federal Conservatives shouting about it, we are finally going to get a pipeline (or two) to tidewater under NDP and Liberal governments.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 1:12 AM

Bombardier expected to announce multi-billion dollar CSeries deal with Delta: report
Quote:
Multiple reports have suggested that Delta could purchase up to 125 CSeries aircraft.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bomb...elta-1.3555945

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Bombardier expected to announce multi-billion dollar CSeries deal with Delta: report

What is also interesting in some of the other report (but not mentioned in the CBC report) is that Delta has been asking for a C-Series 500 aircraft with similar passenger counts to a A320 or 737-700 or 800 aircraft. If they get into that market they will be going head to head with Boeing and Airbus.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 4:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post

Hope so. My BBD stock has been in the toilet for years now.

I guess it came to fruition: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bomb...elta-1.3556661

Bailout made deal happen between Bombardier and Delta: Couillard

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Hope so. My BBD stock has been in the toilet for years now.

I guess it came to fruition: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bomb...elta-1.3556661

Bailout made deal happen between Bombardier and Delta: Couillard
I wonder if this will make federal government support unnecessary? It has been interesting to see that the government has not just rolled over and cut a cheque.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 6:15 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I wonder if this will make federal government support unnecessary? It has been interesting to see that the government has not just rolled over and cut a cheque.
I believe Bombardier has said that federal support is no longer necessary.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 6:19 PM

I believe they've said the contrary. The perenity of the C-Series program definitely seems brighter but right now, Bombardier still needs cash. It will normally deliver its first planes this autumn to Swiss Airlines and will then starts to receive payments but as of now, Bombardier has to produce the planes, which is cash intensive, only to receive payments in the future.

It still wants Ottawa to chip in but lets just say that it is a much safer investment now for the Federal than it was a few months ago.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 6:44 PM
Heart of the Continent

Well they don't need it urgently, it seems:

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...rnment-sources

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 6:58 PM

Apparently BC's so unaffordable to live in that even the premier needs two paying jobs!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Apparently BC's so unaffordable to live in that even the premier needs two paying jobs!
I believe the issue of political leaders being "topped up" by their parties has arisen before. I wonder how common it is?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada