HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 2:28 AM

The latest word from the UTA is that the Green Line extension to the airport will open in the spring of 2013, which pretty certainly means April 2013. The UTA tends to open light rail extension on change days, which happen thrice a year (April, August, and December).

I wonder what the latest with the Blue Line extension to Draper is in terms of opening date. I'm hoping it opens jointly with the airport extension.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 3:40 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post
I wonder what the latest with the Blue Line extension to Draper is in terms of opening date. I'm hoping it opens jointly with the airport extension.
I remember UTA stating that they won't open dual lines at the same time again, after opening the Red and Green lines on the same day. However, the Draper line isn't really a new line just a couple of additional stops on the Blue line, so who knows.

Glad I could not clear that up for all of you.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
So I was wondering if anyone knows what the timeline for release of the proposed downtown streetcar line is? I know they have been contemplating several routes, but aren't they about due for the announcement? I feel like I have been waiting for this one for ages!
Unfortunately, I bet it will be at least a year. I haven't heard about them even starting the environmental assessments or alternative analyses for the various proposed routes, so a preferred route won't come until those things are completed... and they usually take about a year.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 4:55 PM

I think that nothing will happen until 2015. That way all of the current Trax expansions have been completed for a while.

It will give SLC a chance to push for the 4th South Trax extension to the hub at the same time they push the street car. They will be pushed together about increasing mobility downtown.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 7:37 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

UTA finnaly installed a newer ticket machine that accepts credit cards at the city center station... Not sure how long its been there

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 9:53 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
UTA finnaly installed a newer ticket machine that accepts credit cards at the city center station... Not sure how long its been there
Its been there for at least 2 weeks as my wife and I have used it a couple times. Its really nice using it knowing as you make your selection and it doesn't time out on you as you dig up your cash.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 2:24 PM

They have put up the first of the street lights on North Temple between 800 and 900 West. I am not sure if these lights will only be on the street where stations are located, or if these will be all along the corridor. Sorry for how dark the image is, it was a bit dark with those rain clouds this morning. They are the same green color as all of the traffic light poles.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 7:49 PM

Salt Lake City's transit tops nation's metropolitan areas

July 11, 2012 - Brookings Institution Metropolitan Policy Program

http://www.brookings.edu/research/pa...sit-jobs-tomer

Salt Lake City was top of the list for transit access of the metropolitan workforce in 90 minutes or less. (Scott G Winterton, Deseret News)

By Erin Hong, Deseret News

Only 27 percent of the metropolitan workforce is able to reach their jobs in 90 minutes or less by transit. But for Salt Lake City, 64 percent of the metro area is available to workers, according to a report by Brookings Institution Metropolitan Policy Program.

Salt Lake City's public transit access to employees outshines places like New York, which ranked number 17 on the list, and Washington D.C., which ranked 23 at 33.8 percent, according to the study.

Employers' access in the West top those in the South at reaching employees through transit, said Adie Tomer, Brookings' senior research associate and author of the report. "Also, in many metropolitan areas, the access to labor in cities is much greater than the access to labor in suburbs, because of the older design of transit systems and more modern employer sprawl to the suburbs."

The Utah city of Provo neared the top of the list, ranking number seven with 47 percent access rate, and Ogden followed close behind at 44 percent.

"While metropolitan unemployment rates remain stubbornly high, vacancies do exist across most industries," Tomer said. "Expanding access to larger pools of qualified labor will help fill those positions and improve economic performance. This research can help metropolitan areas more efficiently develop their transit networks and address that access gap."

Last edited by delts145; Jul 13, 2012 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 9:35 PM

So they've paved the Provo Front Runner park and ride lot, and I've seen them testing FrontRunner trains there. I would think it would be ready to go sooner than thought?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 9:40 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I believe they usually test the lines for 3 or more months. I can't remember the exact time frame, but it does take a while.

They website still is sticking with the December 10th opening. I would guess they are simply going to keep testing the trains until then, but who knows maybe they will surprise us. It would be nice if they could open it even just a month before I-15 construction is done, get people on it.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 10:04 PM

They were going to be testing in Utah County then start them up into Salt Lake County the middle of July. I work by the 53rd station and haven't seen anything up here yet. I keep waiting to see what their plans are between the Trax station and the Frontrunner station. They haven't demolished the old office building yet. Seems like an ideal place either to move the bus turnaround or a plaza area with a coffee shop or something.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

I believe they usually test the lines for 3 or more months. I can't remember the exact time frame, but it does take a while.
UTA schedules 6 months for training and testing for almost all new lines, but they almost always finish within 3-4 and then have an "early" opening.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 3:25 PM
Development Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
So they've paved the Provo Front Runner park and ride lot, and I've seen them testing FrontRunner trains there. I would think it would be ready to go sooner than thought?
That's only the east half of the total parking lot they have planned. When completely paved, it's gonna be a BIG lot!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 4:30 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post
That's only the east half of the total parking lot they have planned. When completely paved, it's gonna be a BIG lot!
Hopefully before a complete paving occurs demand will grow to the point that a structure is needed instead. An option to consider would be a public private partnership with a developer, where a portion of the garage is funded by the developer to provide parking for residents.

On that note, I really hope Provo reduces their parking requirement for the square footage of office, retail and residential in the area surrounding the Front Runner Station and up to Center St.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 2:39 PM
Development Junkie

It seems that this thread has outgrown its name.

Would it be better named "Utah Transportation News Thread" instead of the current name?

Right now I don't know where discussions about Logan's Tenth West, southern Utah's Southern Parkway, or even I-15 CORE belong. Based on the current thread name, they don't belong here.

I know this may simply be a technicality, but it really is helpful to accurately name things (and post replies in the correct place).

Thoughts anyone?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 3:12 PM

That's a good point Tygr. It seems as if we never know whether to place Utah County or the Northern Wasatch Metro Transit Projects in the Utah County Thread or the Ogden Thread, etc. Perhaps, a title as you suggested or the Wasatch Metro Transit Thread, or some such title would be more appropriate. I'm sure Viperlord wouldn't mind changing the name.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 6:56 PM

edit

Last edited by joscar; Jul 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 8:16 PM

I've done some internet searches and haven't been able to find any news concerning Mayor Becker's wish to work with UTA to figure out a direct route from DT to the U again. Has there been any progress on that front? The transfer is really time consuming, and sometimes even dangerous at night (the courthouse station gets some seedy folk in the late hours). It was a huge blunder on UTA's part to disconnect the U and DT considering how these areas are some of the only urban areas where transit is most beneficial. grr! Anyways, if anyone knows of any progress, let me know.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 9:02 PM

For the direct connection from the Hub to the U, they should extend Trax down 4th South to 6th West and connect it to the current End of Line.

Then they can have the current Red Line continue it's current path, Green Line to the Airport, Blue Line running a through downtown to the Hub and then up to the U, following the same path back.

This would increase frequency along 4th South east of Main, provide a direct connection to the U from the Hub and would also provide the ability to have a Trax Loop within the Downtown area.

All this for approximately $32 Million using 2007 values. This means it could probably be cheaper now than before due to lower costs.

The extension on 4th S to the Hub has been on the list since the University Line was done and the Hub opened in 2006. Unfortunately, I don't know of the current status of the extension.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 12:35 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
For the direct connection from the Hub to the U, they should extend Trax down 4th South to 6th West and connect it to the current End of Line.

Then they can have the current Red Line continue it's current path, Green Line to the Airport, Blue Line running a through downtown to the Hub and then up to the U, following the same path back.

This would increase frequency along 4th South east of Main, provide a direct connection to the U from the Hub and would also provide the ability to have a Trax Loop within the Downtown area.

All this for approximately $32 Million using 2007 values. This means it could probably be cheaper now than before due to lower costs.

The extension on 4th S to the Hub has been on the list since the University Line was done and the Hub opened in 2006. Unfortunately, I don't know of the current status of the extension.
Sounds to mike someone just wants a free ride at a greater expense to the tax payers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West