HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 6:35 PM

Grew up in Brampton. Have driven on Forks of the Credit Rd countless times. Have also lived in Burlington. Wasted much gas taking the scenic route as an excuse to go up Appleby hairpin.

This intersection in Burlington ain't exactly the same but is another challenge for riders:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Wal...!4d-79.8878686

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
What, you mean we've got two sets of switchbacks in Ontario? Wow, we're practically the Swiss Alps here!

I've gotta get over and ride those one of these days. Speaking of steep climbs/downhills, wouldn't Pottery Road be just about the steepest stretch of asphalt in Toronto?

In terms of long stretch of road it could very well be Pottery. Twyn Rivers Dr. in Scarboro is similar and probably has the steepest segment at the end. Have dodged a few cyclists here.

Walmer going up to Casa Loma is kinda steep, but much a much shorter stretch of road.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 6:46 PM

Appleby on video. I took some onboard vids a couple of days when bored. Did a complete one for Hamilton and area for their interesting routes and turns. Burlington video is a work in progress along with Oakville, Milton and Caledon.

Of course, it's not the Rockies but it's our Rockies in the GTA.

https://streamable.com/9q7bh

I did once have to go around a cyclist here which forced me into the middle of the hairpin, which made for a dicey moment not knowing if another car was going to come down and around the bend at the same time.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:28 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

Argh, no, they look awful. Hulking Meccano erector set monstrosities sucking all of the elegance out of a road bike, is what they are.

This really is just an issue of your personal aversion rather than any aesthetic deficiency in the actual technology. I mean to me the one in that image looks just as elegant as any rim brake I've seen.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 3:08 PM

I've been to the Canadian GP about 10 times. The last two times I went to Montreal it was in the fall so I had the chance to drive on the circuit, which of course is not a permanent race track.

I was hoping to get my rental car up to F1 speeds while zipping around Circuit Gilles Villeneuve but was disappointed by the 20 km/h speed limit for the car lane (enforced by camera), which was made even more frustrating by the cyclists who were passing me while seemingly not even trying hard!

Guess I will have to go to Shannonville on track day to get my need... my need for speed.

Anyway, Ile Notre Dame looks like a great place for a stroll around on the bike.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Locat...al_Quebec.html

https://averagejoecyclist.com/montre...neuve-circuit/

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:45 PM

I have ridden on that course and have to say it was quite fun. even more so when you get into a group. Have driven it with both my car and a truck pulling a 40" boat trailer.

The race track near the YEG airport has started letting cyclist on the track for fun Crit races. nice to be able to go hard on a closed road course.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:53 PM

2 of my favorite routes in JNP are the Cavel mt climb and 93A to Athabasca fall. They are currently closed for reconstruction and paving. so next spring before they are open for traffic should be great on new pavement. The Marmot Basin climb is open still and in relatively good shape.

As for MTN biking a lot of friends are heading out to Rockie Mountain House and riding Base line mountain. That seems to be turning into quite the park. Need to do shuttle runs to the top. When I raced it as a Canada cup course in the 90s if was quite rudimentary. And the site of my highest down hill speeds. 93kph.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 5:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Ottawa-born Gatineau cyclist won today's stage at the Tour of Spain. I don't think it happens very often that a Canadian wins a stage at one of the world's top cycling events (the Spanish race is up there with the Giro d'Italia and of course the Tour de France).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 4:47 AM

Went to the UCI World Cup event in Milton. I rode there last year to try it out and it's super difficult to maintain speed and momentum the higher up you go. And you got super sleek rental bike that's light as a feather.

These athletes put me to shame. They rode up to the top and kept going like it was nothing. I swear the track is banked 89 degrees. When you're standing on the rail and looking down, it makes you wonder how it's physically possibly to ride up such a steep angle.

Quote:
Hugo Barrette of Î​les de la Madeleine, Que., captured silver in the men's keirin final on Saturday, 0.042 seconds behind winner Jason Kenny of Great Britain and ahead of Matthijs Buchli of the Netherlands. Kenny won the 200-metre race in 10.335 seconds.
Quote:
Earlier Saturday, Canada broke its medal goose egg as Allison Beveridge and Stephanie Roorda picked up a bronze in the women's madison.

The pair from Calgary finished with 13 points, 23 behind winners Elinor Barker and Katie Archibald of Great Britain, and six back of Julie Leth and Amalie Dideriksen of Denmark in second place.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 5:16 AM

Curt still has amazing hair. Jesus...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 5:29 AM

Excellent flow after all these years. Can still do shampoo commercials.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 7:28 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Bumping this thread up as I'm now in serious need of replacing my beloved old clunker, and could use a second opinion. I've been looking around used bike shops but haven't had much luck - seems there's not much available at the moment. So I'll probably just get a new bike instead - I'm considering the Masi Uno Riser: https://masibikes.com/collections/ur...uno-riser-2019

It's about $600, which is a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but is it worth it? I mean, I can afford it, but as my bike is parked out on the sidewalk I'm just a bit worried about theft or rust damage from rain. Really just looking for a decent, lightweight single-speed for cruising around town.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 6:32 AM

^ i have the uno drop. its ok. weight is good. components seem sturdy.
only 3 complaints:
-it didn't come with a chain tensioner which is annoying
-wheel strike is a bit of a problem from the geometry, have to remember to have legs up or down on side you will be turning
-a bit nit picky but my last bike seemed much smother to pedal, maybe the the uno freewheel isnt top tier?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 6:36 PM
Registered Drug User

I'd say get the Masi if you like it, but if you're worried about theft then you could always scour Kijiji for something that looks a bit beat up: https://www.kijiji.ca/b-bikes/city-o...k0c644l1700273

Is it just for commuting from home to work? Or will you cruise around and make stops at stores and restaurants/bars as well?

If it were just for commuting, and if you could keep it inside at both termini, then I'd go for something completely funky and groovy. But that's just me.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 11:50 PM
sick transit, gloria

That's a pretty sweet bike - I looked at Masi ones before deciding on the Fuji Feather. I just like drop handlebars even though I rarely use them. I would be cautious if you have to lock it up on the street - I do mostly keep mine on a front porch now but put it inside when I'm away. My previous Fuji was stolen from a Parkdale backyard.

Kijiji kinda sucks now in toronto for these things - lots of scams and people who never respond. It's why I finally decided to buy new.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 12:45 PM

I use an older Cannondale CADDX for comuting now. Can use wider tire than normal Drop bar bikes. Have also gotten into the Gravel riding movement., nice riding the back roads and not worry someone is trying to kill you. For that I use a Giant TCX with 40 mm tires.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 1:43 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Thanks for the input guys. Unless I find anything drastically better in the next couple days looks like I'll just treat myself a bit and go for the Masi.

As far as the theft issue goes, it's at least on a side street and parked amongst several dozen other bikes belonging to my neighbours, so hopefully that might be hidden enough?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 2:44 PM

Theft is an issue. I would get the bike store to remove the quick releases for a wheel lock and buy a good Abus lock. Maybe get a quick release for your seat post? My experience with people who had their bike stolen was it usually was some crackhead in the middle of the night who needed a quick way home. Can’t really do that without a seat.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:16 PM
sick transit, gloria

I actually had my rear wheel stolen last year, at around 630pm on Bay st near College... on my birthday. No quick release either - someone brought a wrench! Single speed hubs are highly sought after and extremely easy to resell, so always lock through the frame and rear wheel. And consider locking nuts for the wheel as well.

I also had the front wheel stolen more recently, however the thief replaced my existing wheel with a new one that had a flat tire and quick release? It was one of the more bizarre things I've had happen - got the wheel checked at my bike shop and it was fine. Technically worth more than the previous stock wheel and with a better tire as well, even though I'm not a fan of quick release. The best we could figure is that it was a cyclist who got a flat and really had somewhere to be and just swapped them out.

If it's on a side street with other bikes you are probably fine though. I've been told by bike shop workers that the most common thefts are bikes that are improperly locked, or locked to broken ring posts. My weird experiences notwithstanding, it's generally an opportunistic occurrence and thieves will go for whatever's easiest.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:52 PM

I tend not to leave my bikes unattended, and they are always in my house when I am not using them. To many people have had them stolen form their garages. Last bike stolen was in TO. Then I just used Pawn shop bikes to get around.

Here even if the bike is on my car rack I have 3 locks on it. When out on a group ride we leave one person with the bikes when we stop for a coffee or drink.

there is a pretty good network here when bikes get stolen. reporting to police and online are easy and if the bike gets put on Kijji or another site they are found quickly. most riders I know are now placing their bikes inside their vehicle when traveling. apparently thieves are watching and tracking the cars to their homes then steeling them from the garage.

A number of years back I had my DH bike on the roof rack. when I came back to the car after grabbing a coffee. the bike was hanging from the rack with the cable lock. there was blood beside the car. apparently the guy trying to steel it didn't know you had to be careful when taking a 40lb bike of a roof rack.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada