HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 6:31 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Think the Timmys will do well there but it seems like a small space for them unless they are taking up two of the retail units.
Not sure Chronic Taco will do very well in Gastown though, guess we'll see.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 8:29 AM
Reason and Freedom

I noticed lights on behind the papered windows of the future Cactus Club at the Vancouver Convention Centre. I am not sure if that is just routine or evidence of new activity. Does anyone in the know have any idea whether this location will be ready in time for the 2012 patio season, taking into consideration that the English Bay site is still a work in progress?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 6:52 AM

Berts Restaurant on Main Street is closing after 60 years.
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...sing-its-doors

Not really surprising, the food was totally unremarkable and there's other, better spots on Main with that diner vibe.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 5:13 AM

It sounds like Bert's on Main was bought by The Donnelly Group. I've been to their fine establishments, including the Lamplighter, which they ruined. Their strategy is to suck every last dollar they can from you, complimented by their robotic, by the corporate book, staff. No edge whatsoever.

If it's true that they are coming to Mt. Pleasant, it will be interesting to see if they can survive.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 3:22 PM

There was a lot of media about Berts. Big article in the Sun and piece on the CBC Radio - I guess longevity gets you noticed (when you're gone). The owner said it was perfect storm of things: increase in minimum wage, HST, meter parking. Soon only chains like the Donnelly Group stuff will be able to survive.

On that note, I saw that just up Main near Burgoo, there's another Joe's Grill opening up.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 6:02 AM

that new two story in-fill next to burgoo? that will become joe's grill?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
that new two story in-fill next to burgoo? that will become joe's grill?
No, I think The Well closed and will become a Joe's.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 6:29 PM

New Cactus Club on English Bay is coming along. I wonder when it will open?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 11:24 PM

Apparently Joe Fortes was sold to The Keg.

And Goldfish in Yaletown is closing Feb 5th - to be replaced by Minami.

Quote:
Miku’s Sister Restaurant to arrive in Yaletown this Summer; Goldfish Seafood & Chops says goodbye
Goldfish thanks diners for years of loyal patronage

Vancouver, BC – Aburi Restaurants Canada Ltd, operating as Miku Restaurant, announces it will take over the lease of Goldfish Seafood & Chops, located at 1118 Mainland Street. A new restaurant with a different concept, named Minami, is expected to open in Summer 2012. Goldfish’s last day is Sunday, February 5, 2012, after completion of Dine Out Vancouver.

Miku is a celebrated Japanese restaurant in Vancouver, and is popular with both residents and tourists visiting the city. It is known for innovating the Aburi or sear-flamed style of sushi, which is the act of applying fire directly on the fish to enhance the natural flavours. This technique, paired with specialty sauces and non-traditional Japanese ingredients make the perfect complement to the unique taste of fish.
“We look forward to expanding the Miku brand in one of Vancouver’s most vibrant neighbourhoods and bringing Aburi to the Yaletown community in Summer of this year,” explains Takuya Motohashi, Vice President and Executive Chef of Aburi Restaurants Canada Ltd
http://mikurestaurant.com/blog/2012/01/3057/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 11:41 PM

@ officedweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Apparently Joe Fortes was sold to The Keg.

Sad. I always that Joe Fortes was somehow more "aristocratic" if you will, than the Keg. Related to the other downtown updates thread (pardon me here); this is another example of how that would probably never happen if Vancouver were "world class." Such a restaurant in such a building would become ever more highbrow. It wouldn't be sold to a steak-and-seafood chain.
Sorry if this sounds snobby; maybe it does. Or am I now just too accustomed to Paris?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

Sad. I always that Joe Fortes was somehow more "aristocratic" if you will, than the Keg. Related to the other downtown updates thread (pardon me here); this is another example of how that would probably never happen if Vancouver were "world class." Such a restaurant in such a building would become ever more highbrow. It wouldn't be sold to a steak-and-seafood chain.
Sorry if this sounds snobby; maybe it does. Or am I now just too accustomed to Paris?
TO me joe fortes was a lot more touristy than the keg and i dont hear a lot of buzzfrom locals about it. FYI, joe fortes parked a 1930s taxi outside on thurlow for advertising which was ++ cheezy/touristy.

I always liked the keg - the steaks are never disappointing and overall the value for money is good. They do brisk lunch business and do the 'upscale casual' dining pretty good. David eisenstat, the director of the keg group, is a big donor and supporter of the vancouver art galley.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 12:31 AM

[QUOTE=mezzanine;5571949]TO me joe fortes was a lot more touristy than the keg and i dont hear a lot of buzzfrom locals about it. FYI, joe fortes parked a 1930s taxi outside on thurlow for advertising which was ++ cheezy/touristy.

hmm sorry to learn that

I always liked the keg - the steaks are never disappointing and overall the value for money is good. They do brisk lunch business and do the 'upscale casual' dining pretty good. David eisenstat, the director of the keg group, is a big donor and supporter of the vancouver art galley.[ /QUOTE]

Good news. Thanks for that feedback.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 5:18 AM

is it going to to continue to operate as Joe Fortes? or will the keg move across the street to take over the location?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 9:42 PM

Don't know - I was wondering about that too.
If it does vacate the existing location, that more bad news for the Carlyle's retail podium.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
TO me joe fortes was a lot more touristy than the keg and i dont hear a lot of buzzfrom locals about it. FYI, joe fortes parked a 1930s taxi outside on thurlow for advertising which was ++ cheezy/touristy.

I always liked the keg - the steaks are never disappointing and overall the value for money is good. They do brisk lunch business and do the 'upscale casual' dining pretty good. David eisenstat, the director of the keg group, is a big donor and supporter of the vancouver art galley.
I hope Fortes stays as is. It may be a bit touristy, but that's mostly just a function of its location. It offers a menu that's at least somewhat reflective of Vancouver (ie. more seafood heavy).

The last thing we need is another Keg/Joeys/Cactus to add to the decline in the variation in downtown restaurant offerings. If you want a predictable menu and tons of TV screens there are now over dozen large places to go downtown (and growing).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 2:06 AM

Meat & Bread to open second location at Oceanic Plaza:

Quote:
The triumvirate that brought us the original Meat & Bread on Cambie off Hastings are opening a second location in the heart of Vancouver’s financial district. Owners Cord Jarvie and Frankie Harrington, together with chef Joseph Sartor, have just signed for a small space at the foot of Oceanic Plaza (1033 West Hastings).
http://scoutmagazine.ca/2012/02/01/d...cial-district/

If I was still working in that area, I'd be there at least once a week.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:34 PM
Reason and Freedom

Expo 86's McBarge to resume voyage as floating restaurant

By Kim Pemberton, Vancouver Sun February 2, 2012

The so-called McBarge, the former McDonalds Restaurant from Expo 86 sits moored just east of the Iron Workers Memorial Bridge on the south side of Burrard Inlet in Burnaby, B.C. on June 15, 2010.

The McBarge could be back in business within a year as a floating restaurant named Sturgeons on the Fraser after Mission City Council gave its support to the project this week.

The 15,000 sq. ft barge earned its name after it was used as a McDonald’s restaurant during Expo 86. It has lain derelict in Burrard Inlet since 1991.

The Sturgeons on the Fraser project, which has an estimated value of $10 million, would use the barge to create a floating restaurant, pub and café at the foot of Horne Street adjacent to the former Meeker Cedar Mill site.

The project also includes a marina and offices for fishing and eco-tour operators, as well as a float-plane terminus.

Developer Howard Meakin said he was “shell shocked” when the council approved the third reading of a foreshore rezoning application related to the project.

The project must meet parking and access requirements before full approval is granted.

“ ... it all looks achievable. The best-case scenario is we’ll have it [the restaurant] open within 12 months and in the worst-case scenario, within 18 months,” said Meakin.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Expo+McB...#ixzz1lKxUlKlo

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 5:35 AM
Site 8 Lives

Lower Lonsdale waterfront restaurant unveiled

By Maria Spitale-Leisk - North Shore Outlook
Published: February 02, 2012 11:00 PM
Updated: February 03, 2012 4:24 PM

Come April a new restaurant will anchor Shipbuilders' Square on the Lower Lonsdale waterfront.

Pier 7 is poised to set the tone for a vibrant, oceanside dining and shopping locale.

The 200-seat, two-storey restaurant — with patios on both levels — promises West Coast-inspired decor and an emphasis on small plates — perched at the water's edge.

Restoring the historical flavour of a once-bustling wartime shipyard has been Pinnacle International's intention since purchasing the land in 2001. The new, red-roofed building that houses Pier 7 on the former Versatile Shipyards site bears the likeness of the old machine shop.

At the helm of Pier 7 is celebrated North Shore chef Dino Renaerts. A year ago he was approached by Pinnacle after they learned of his impressive resume with tenures at the Hotel Vancouver and British Properties' fine-dining establishment, Fraiche.

Canada's first chef with sommelier certification, Renaerts is making his foray into restaurant design with Pier 7.

"It's been exciting, it really has," said Renaerts, during an exclusive tour of the unfinished space Wednesday. "I've never really been involved in a full-on [restaurant] opening before."

From our vantage point on the top deck, there are sweeping views of the adjacent working harbour, Vancouver skyline and Stanley Park. The plans call for a fireplace off to one side and an outdoor kitchen for Renaerts to showcase his culinary chops.

Moving inside, when you first walk through the doors of Pier 7 a lounge area with an illuminated bar carved out of alabaster, and "live edge tables" — tree trunks cut vertically — will be the main focal point.

The libations will be infused with pure fruit juices from the Fraser Valley. Renaerts mentioned experimenting with en vogue POM-Aloe juice. He also has a penchant for a “great whiskey sour”.

Food-wise you can expect West Coast-inspired surf-and-turf: albacore tuna, spot prawns in season - and the Tomahawk chop? Picture a long bone handle protruding from a mammoth ribeye steak that will satisfy a carnivorous craving.

Pier 7’s Lower Lonsdale setting is expected to attract a young clientele who will be able to enjoy a nightcap on the deck until 12 a.m.

A soft launch for Pier 7 is set for mid- April.

reporter@northshoreoutlook.com

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 7:14 PM

There is a sign in the window of the Lotus Hotel advertising a hiring fair for something called "The Pint." Probably the sports bar rumoured to be going into the old Honey Lounge location in the Lotus - but with that name, who knows, maybe something more pub-like? One can hope...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 9:29 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Hope you're right, the last thing the area needs is another day time pub that magically converts to nite time club.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining