HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 1:55 PM
Community Guy

Hey G&M, last time I checked Edmonton is, was always and continues to be Alberta's capital City.

Globe&Mail

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
There are likely enough English speakers outside of the specific concentration zones to fill out the map of the province though... By the same definition as you have, you'd probably want to black out much of Northern Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec, as well as the Northwest Territories, and Nunavut for both English and French comparisons as the sparse populations would more likely use native languages like Cree, Ojibway, Dene, or Inuktitut...
I could easily point out that my definition sticks to official languages therefore works perfectly and coherently. No need for a different color speck where Richmond BC is with "彩色铅笔" rather than "coloured pencils". There's one and only one way to say it in an official language in BC that will get you understood. Same thing in the territories - wherever you are in them, there's only one official language in which you can say "coloured pencils" in and generally be understood. So all those areas should be treated as unambiguously unilingual by that map, logically.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 4:35 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Hey G&M, last time I checked Edmonton is, was always and continues to be Alberta's capital City.

Globe&Mail
I see this mistake being made from time to time in some of Quebec's news sites too (except for cbc/src). As a matter of fact, if you asked Quebecers what the capital of Alberta is, I'd argue that at least a plurality would say Calgary.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
As a matter of fact, if you asked Quebecers what the capital of Alberta is, I'd argue that at least a plurality would say Calgary.
Though the same people might also say Vancouver is the capital of BC and Ottawa is the capital of Ontario. And they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a major newspaper's redaction, unless it's to sweep the floor.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 5:34 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So, this was yet another case where the Anglo-Canada moniker would have been useful! But people are wont to use it and prefer to use Canadians a whole instead!

So when you think about it an unknowing foreigner who sees that might think that in Quebec most people would say "j'ai besoin de coloured pencils pour l'école"!
I guess the person that posted the graphics should have copied and pasted the intro too...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 6:53 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I've never heard the words "boots hockey", it was my own translation of hockey bottines for vid's benefit.

Also, I'm nearly certain no one plays it with anything other than those orange balls (tennisball-sized) designed for that sport. I really doubt people would play it with hockey sticks and a soccer ball! Doable, but not very nice - you'd have to always have your stick's flat curved surface (how do you say "palette" in English?) a couple inches above the ground, and I don't think you could slapshot well. In fact if I were forced to play that sport I'd carry the hockey stick if I had to but I'd use my feet
It was a ball between the size of a tennis ball and a soccer ball. I don't think they're associated with any particular sport, they were just medium sized balls.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 7:52 PM
Rational urbanist

Might be a hyper local thing, but we called it California kickball growing up in Richmond.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

Globe&Mail
Makes sense. It's written by the VP of Communications for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 8:36 PM
Community Guy

Who wen to school with me at the UofA in Edmonton. He did not write the headline/subtitles.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:00 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I could easily point out that my definition sticks to official languages therefore works perfectly and coherently. No need for a different color speck where Richmond BC is with "彩色铅笔" rather than "coloured pencils". There's one and only one way to say it in an official language in BC that will get you understood. Same thing in the territories - wherever you are in them, there's only one official language in which you can say "coloured pencils" in and generally be understood. So all those areas should be treated as unambiguously unilingual by that map, logically.
The languages I listed are actually "official languages" alongside English and French in some parts of the country, and pre-date both English and French, not to mention Chinese in Canada . And in some parts, i.e. the sparsely populated northern regions I mentioned, where it is mostly remote reserve type settlements, those languages would be the ones you'd be more likely to hear over French or English. Take Nord-du-Québec as an example (which is over half the area of Quebec, though has less than 50k people)... Native languages outnumber either French or English as the mother tongues. That alone should black out a large portion of Quebec in either English or French comparisons. The same goes for Northern Saskatchewan, Manitoba, NWT, and Nunavut, especially outside urban centres like Yellowknife.

I really don't understand why it's such a big deal to recognize that native languages do actually have a lot of prominence in some areas of the country, both constitutionally and in usage... In the same way that some Francophones have taken some level of offence to the uniform "Canada" comparison, could Aboriginals not feel the same against both English AND French?

Last edited by Nathan; Aug 28, 2017 at 3:57 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 1:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It was a ball between the size of a tennis ball and a soccer ball. I don't think they're associated with any particular sport, they were just medium sized balls.
Wow, that's still pretty big. Maybe it's just a unique Thunder Bay quirk!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 1:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
The languages I listed are actually "official languages" alongside English and French in some parts of the country, and pre-date both English and French, not to mention Chinese in Canada . And in some parts, i.e. the sparsely populated northern regions I mentioned, where it is mostly remote reserve type settlements, those languages would be the ones you'd be more likely to hear over French or English. Take Nord-du-Québec as an example (which is over half the area of Quebec, though has less than 50k people)... Native languages outnumber either French or English as the mother tongues. That alone should black out a large portion of Quebec in either English or French comparisons. The same goes for Northern Saskatchewan, Manitoba, NWT, and Nunavut, especially outside urban centres like Yellowknife.

I really don't understand why it's such a big deal to recognize that native languages do actually have a lot of prominence in some areas of the country, both constitutionally and in usage... In the same way that some Francophones have taken some level of offence to the uniform "Canada" comparison, could Aboriginals not feel the same against both English AND French?
I think I have to begrudgingly agree with lio on "prominence".

I honestly wish it weren't so but there isn't any aboriginal language in Canada that plays as comprehensive a role societally or even privately as French does for most Canadian francophones.

The closest is probably Inuktitut in Nunavut but even there kids generally don't even go to high school in Inuktitut. Whereas francophone kids go from kindergarten to PhD all in French.

And that's just one example of "prominence". There are many others.

This is a fact. An unfortunate one perhaps, but still a fact.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:59 PM

So, I can't actually see the graphic posted with all the regionalisms (I'm at work), based on the discussion I'll throw out these, from rural southwestern Ontario in the late 90's.

Soccer-baseball. Was always confused when I heard it called kickball on Arthur on TV.

Ball hockey was played on asphalt. Field hockey on grass. It was the same game, with a tennis ball or the hard orange ball the same size. We also played "broomball" either with actual little stubby brooms, or rubber paddle things that approximated the shape. It kind of depended how many sticks we had of each or if the older kids had taken one set.

We also played soccer (rarely) but very often played "World Cup". Played with one soccer net and one or two goalies in the net, everyone chose a country (usually in partners). It was then a free for all in front of the net and you had to yell your country when you took a shot at the net.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 4:06 PM

Is it a generational thing that I have never heard of "kick-ball"?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 2:00 AM

Topography of the BC South Coast

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 2:01 AM

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 2:01 AM

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 4:29 AM

The Year of Major Renovation in the City of Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 2:52 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Light Pollution Map - Eastern Canada

Light Pollution Map - Western Canada

reference:
https://djlorenz.github.io/astronomy...rlay/dark.html

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 6, 2018 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 2:56 AM

Wow the Alberta cities have the same light levels of Toronto and Montreal!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada