HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I agree with some of your sentiment. I love the idea of Hamilton being that ambitious little city again but let's be honest, it does sound like you're living in 1985 a little bit: boat shows, car shows, sportsman shows - do these events still exist outside places like Vegas?

Now, if a private citizen wants to take a run at that 80s revival idea then I say go for it!
Of course there's still boat shows, etc. The Warplane museum has been hosting such events.

Last edited by NortheastWind; Nov 24, 2019 at 12:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post
Because that's the rink's full name, it's an arena and trade show centre or whatever. Thay was only the case the convention centre is much too small, which is gonna change when they build a new one.
So we dont need a new 17,500 seat arena to host boat and car shows, rather a new convention centre.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 12:38 AM

Re car shows / boat shows, etc.

Just a final note. Some of you, no offense intended of course, are likely too young to remember when car shows were a serious entertainment event - like, we marked it on our calendar kinda big. We're talking thousands and thousands of people flooding into Copps over the course of a few days to see next year's models, etc. - the concourses were jammed for days. Millennials aren't even bothering to get a driving license...

It's not a valid pretense for spending tens of millions of public dollars.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 1:08 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

^ Car shows were great. Have a collectible auction like Barret Jackson would be great for a week at Copps. Give me the job to make those 19 shows ONLY that needed second bowl. I would pack this place. Hamilton and Haldimand are the best places around to get collection and antique cars and car parts. There is an enthuasim locally with collectable cars and bikes. Do a show for that. Would be awesome.

I also watched Bob Izumi fish in a glass tractor trailer truck for bass at Copps. Bought my first and only Mitchell reel that I still use.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 1:16 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Mitchell Reels
Constant‘s son-in-law, Charles Pons, joined the family business, now called Carpono & Pons, and was the moving spirit in the company. In the 1930’s they worked with two fishing tackle manufacturers to refine their round reel designs. They created the first prototype open-faced spinning reel in the latter part of the 1930s and a patent was granted in 1950 for this new reel design.

The true origin of the name Mitchell remains mysterious–Although Carpano & Pons had the intention to name their first reel “Michel”, they discovered this name was already used and patented so they gave the reel an American sounding name that was very in vogue at the time.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 1:42 AM

Car and boat shows don't need seating, they need floor space. An arena floor is less than 20,000 sq ft, very small for exhibit space for those type of shows. I would think a suburban multipad arena would be better suited for that. Surely Hamilton has facilities better suited for a boat show than a 17,000 seat arena?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 7:48 AM
Ham-Bur-gher

The movable seating in the lower sections has certainly opened up the floor for larger trade shows and car shows and the like, but a 17.5K arena isn't needed for those. That's a poor reason for keeping FOC as it stands.

That said, if a cheaper reno option is available that holds upper-tier seating in reserve while creating a more intimate 9-10k bowl than the current curtain-contraption-setup can provide, it's worth discussion.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
The movable seating in the lower sections has certainly opened up the floor for larger trade shows and car shows and the like, but a 17.5K arena isn't needed for those. That's a poor reason for keeping FOC as it stands.

That said, if a cheaper reno option is available that holds upper-tier seating in reserve while creating a more intimate 9-10k bowl than the current curtain-contraption-setup can provide, it's worth discussion.
If Copps had a decent tenant and attendance, would we be having this conversation? Empty arenas do tend to suck more than full ones...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
If Copps had a decent tenant and attendance, would we be having this conversation? Empty arenas do tend to suck more than full ones...
You'd probably still be talking about the same thing, but it would be whether to build a new NHL-size arena somewhere else or renovate Copps.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton