HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:20 AM
Montérégien

Built in 1747, this chapelle in Tadoussac is the oldest wooden church still standing in North America. It has seen Wolfe's float on its road to seize Québec.

The history of Tadoussac is long and complicated. It was founded in 1600 (some historians state that it's 1599) as a trading post. This chapel is the 4th one. The first one was built in wood in 1615. It was replaced in 1661 by a small stone church (it only lasted 4 years - destroyed by fire in 1665). In 1668, a new bark / wood chapel was built. Then, in 1747, the construction of this last one began. I visited it in spring/summer 2017. I was impressed : it's small but steeped in history.

DSC_1192 Chapelle Tadoussac by jamia54, sur Flickr

(Chapelle de Tadoussac, vue de l'intérieur par Andréanne Beloin), "Chapelle de Tadoussac", sur Répertoire du patrimoine culturel du Québec

120804_Quebec-USA 2017_5977 by Patrick MERLAY, sur Flickr

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:14 PM

^ Very impressive... Thanks for posting that.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
Built in 1747, this chapelle in Tadoussac is the oldest wooden church still standing in North America. It has seen Wolfe's float on its road to seize Québec.
I've been meaning to post my own pics of the church in Beaumont (built in the 1720s). It's basically in the same shape it was during the Conquest. Monckton's troops tried to burn it down but it wouldn't burn. I find it fascinating to picture invading British troops getting in and out of it. They destroyed most other churches on the south shore, but this one is a true surviving witness of those events that hasn't changed.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:51 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I've been meaning to post my own pics of the church in Beaumont (built in the 1720s). It's basically in the same shape it was during the Conquest. Monckton's troops tried to burn it down but it wouldn't burn. I find it fascinating to picture invading British troops getting in and out of it. They destroyed most other churches on the south shore, but this one is a true surviving witness of those events that hasn't changed.
I didn't know this story about St-Étienne church in Beaumont. Intéressant !! However, I knew that most of the buildings or churches that survived were those that served as military hospitals for the british troops.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 5:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

lovely shots from Tadoussac. Nice place. There are crazy high sand dunes there.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 2:25 AM

I've been to Tadoussac a number of times and never even thought of going inside that chapel even though I've seen it from the outside. I will make a point to go see it next time. We spent a lot of time watching the belugas whales from shore and also spent half a day at those crazy high sand dunes.

We normally spend more time in the area around Les Escoumins. I love going to the Cap de Bon-Désir Parks Canada site.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:44 PM
True North

What an excellent thread! Cathedrals and parish churches have always been my favorite kind of architecture, followed by houses. There is no other building type that can provoke such strong emotional and spiritual responses, the awe-inspiring mighty power and overwhelming humility, all at the same time. It's phenomenal. Visiting St. Joseph Oratory years ago was still one of my most memorable experiences ever with a single building.

St. Michael Cathedral and St. James Cathedral were my favourite ones when I was in Toronto. Now that I am living in Ottawa, the magnificent Notre-dame Cathedral has become the church of my choice. I am one of those who views all churches as House of God, and not to be confined by denominations. From the largest and grandest ones to the small and humble ones, I love them all.

God bless those who design and build churches.

St. Michael Cathedral in DT TO

St. James Cathedral in DT TO

Notre Dame Cathedral in DT Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bless-u View Post
Visiting St. Joseph Oratory years ago was still one of my most memorable experiences ever with a single building.
I've been to two of the major Quebec pilgrimage churches (including the Oratory), and I have to say I was especially impressed with Ste Anne de Beaupre.

Also, St Michael's in Toronto just finished a very extensive renovation/restoration recently and looks very different now. It looks good, but if you've seen it recently, it's quite the change in the interior. I feel like it looks a little more Catholic and less Anglican now (Aparently the architect was Anglican, but I've also heard that the interior had undergone change before 2016, so I don't know what it was like on the day it opened in the 1800's)

Last edited by White Pine; Jan 22, 2018 at 2:25 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 3:52 AM
True North

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Pine View Post
I've been to two of the major Quebec pilgrimage churches (including the Oratory), and I have to say I was especially impressed with Ste Anne de Beaupre.

Also, St Michael's in Toronto just finished a very extensive renovation/restoration recently and looks very different now. It looks good, but if you've seen it recently, it's quite the change in the interior. I feel like it looks a little more Catholic and less Anglican now (Aparently the architect was Anglican, but I've also heard that the interior had undergone change before 2016, so I don't know what it was like on the day it opened in the 1800's)
I'd been to St. Mike about three months ago. It looked great but the work was still in progress. The interior was quite completed, if I remembered right. I like the new blue ceiling. It was a bit more lavish and grand. Don't know if you've been to Notre Dame in Ottawa, a Catholic cathedral. It also has a blue ceiling but different design, more High Gothic. The colour scheme reminds me a bit of St. Mike. Catholic and Anglican are both Christian dominions. I am not entirely surprised to see similar decorative elements in them.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bless-u View Post
I'd been to St. Mike about three months ago. It looked great but the work was still in progress. The interior was quite completed, if I remembered right. I like the new blue ceiling. It was a bit more lavish and grand. Don't know if you've been to Notre Dame in Ottawa, a Catholic cathedral. It also has a blue ceiling but different design, more High Gothic. The colour scheme reminds me a bit of St. Mike. Catholic and Anglican are both Christian dominions. I am not entirely surprised to see similar decorative elements in them.

https://www.expedia.ca/Notre-Dame-Ca...ion-Attraction

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:47 PM
Fake News

Not sure if anyone's posted pics of churches from the badlands before so here we go.

Church in the ghosttown of Dorothy:

https://amazingsky.net/2011/10/10/li...n-the-prairie/

Little white chapel in Drumheller:

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/63261569735725517/

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 5:53 PM
True North

I visited the Mary, Queen of the World Cathedral in Montreal yesterday. What a breath taking church! How magnificent! I know it is basically a replica of St. Peter in a somewhat smaller scale, but it is mighty impressive indeed.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 9:05 PM

I always found it to be an awkwardly shaped cathedral from the outside but loved all of the statues on it's roof. It's one of the nicest buildings in Canada that I've been to.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 11:17 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I always found it to be an awkwardly shaped cathedral from the outside
Saint Pierre de Rome, Vatican ;-)

Roma-Rome.net

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 1:54 AM

I was at the Vatican this year, amazing!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 2:05 AM

I have always loved the St. James Anglican Church in Vancouver's downtown eastside. An art deco gem:

St. James&#x27; Anglican Church, Vancouver by Steven Ballegeer, on Flickr

http://sjma.ca/contact/

http://shipoffools.com/mystery/2008/1620.html

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-sun...122383378.html

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
I have always loved the St. James Anglican Church in Vancouver's downtown eastside. An art deco gem:
Great church!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 12:13 AM

Was driving along the Escarpment today above Hamilton on Ridge Rd. Passed by this Ukrainian one in Grimsby.

Oomphoto - Nancy G. Villarroya

Last edited by megadude; Feb 25, 2018 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 1:23 AM

Notre-Dame des Sept Douleurs, Verdun (Montreal)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BguaYdTF...kipunsam.daily

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 8:06 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Was driving along the Escarpment today above Hamilton on Ridge Rd. Passed by this Ukrainian one in Grimsby.

Oomphoto - Nancy G. Villarroya
It's very similar to Sainte-Sophie Ukrainian cathedral in the Rosemont borough, in Montreal (google view)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada