HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 2:07 PM
Hammer'd

The theme is pretty lame but if it's successful, I guess it's a good thing. You won't catch me there though, don't think I'd be hearing any Hank Williams or Merle Haggard there.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
A short stagger from the Residences of Royal Connaught...

Country bar moving into vacant Main East venue
(Hamilton Spectator, Saira Peesker, July 31 2014)

Hold on to your cowboy hats. A country-and-western themed bar with a mechanical bull is coming to Main Street East.

The Rock 'N Ranch Saloon will occupy the former home of the London Tap House, a five-floor party palace on the corner of Main and John Streets. Billing itself as "Hamilton's hottest new country destination," the bar will be open to the public on Aug. 16.

The establishment is owned by Matthew Gibbons and his company MRG Group, spokesperson Liz Reid confirmed to the Spectator on Thursday. In its London Tap House days, it was owned by Gibbons' brother Joey and his Gibbons Hospitality Group.

The previous bar closed last July after being open for about five years. The 164-year-old building had housed a dance floor, a basement lounge and rooftop patio.

The Gibbons Group bought the building for $500,000 but spent just under $4 million in renovations. Other London Tap House bars were located in London and Toronto.

The Rock 'N Ranch is also part of a series. Its management calls it the "sister bar" to Toronto's Rock 'N Horse Saloon, located in a former Tap House location in that city.

The Toronto bar hosts concerts with big-name artists on Wednesdays — Tim McGraw was there in July — and theme nights the rest of the week including Hoedown Thursdays, Cowgirl Fridays, and Cowboy Up Saturdays.

The Toronto building also contains Adelaide Hall, a two-floor venue that hosts country and non-country concerts alike. It has rock and dance events booked for the near future, as well as the Pancakes and Booze Art Show on Oct. 3.
how does one get the opportunity to buy a building like that for only $500,000?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 10:11 AM

the building east of it is on the verge of collapse. No wonder it's up for so cheap.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 11:58 AM
Hammer'd

They also painted the exterior some kind of ugly red barn door type thing. I give this place a year, tops.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 12:31 PM

To me the problem isn't the paint color, since ugly beige stucco is just as bad, but they did such a quick and dirty paint job that it looks terrible up close.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 1:24 PM

I really liked how the London Tap House sign looked at night, those large back-lit black letters. I've never actually been inside though, almost did one time until they tried to charge a $10 cover when the place was absolutely deserted! No thanks.

Think there's any chance this new country place will keep the old sign? I guess it kind of clashes with their bright red paint a little...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 4:14 PM

Tap House by oldcoote, on Flickr

horrible

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post

horrible
Omg thats hideous

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post

horrible
It does what it is intended to do. Grab your eye and make you notice the place as you whizz on by!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
To me the problem isn't the paint color, since ugly beige stucco is just as bad, but they did such a quick and dirty paint job that it looks terrible up close.
Hamilton...climbing to new heights of mediocrity.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Hamilton...climbing to new heights of mediocrity.
Here's the Toronto one for reference

At least the lines are crisp and not sloppy in Toronto. Dunno why they cheaped out in Hamilton after they already spent so much money with the rest of the building. What's another couple hundred bucks to do it right?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 9:23 PM

haha i love how the bouncer dresses the part too

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
It does what it is intended to do. Grab your eye and make you notice the place as you whizz on by!
... and make a mental note to avoid at all costs.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 3:33 AM

There is a set of photos from the Opening Weekend on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3130798&type=1

A much younger crowd than I expected.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 10:54 AM

New Country

It started years ago with Garth Brooks, Toby Keith etc etc and over time evolved.
With younger artists like: Jason Alden, Eric Church, Blake Sheldon, Kenny Chesney, Miranda Lambert, Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift not to mention the huge influx of both Western talent from Alberta and Eastern from the Maritimes. It is also a gendre that is very community involved and fan appreciative.
This was a brilliant move, a nice alternative to gangsta rap or head bangin music.
I listen to a full spectrum of music and appreciate that someone in Hamilton has recognized an opportunity. How long it is the Baskin Robbins flavour of the Month?? Who knows. Better as a viable business venture than the empty London Tap House. Just need Wild Rose on Tap now.
It may not be your cup of tea and too young for me but this could bring in some C&W artists or provide a venue for up and coming locals.
All the best and hope they make a go of it!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 5:36 PM
Hammer'd

Pretty much exactly the crowd that I was envisioning in my head. Basically the Hess Village crowd with different music.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Pretty much exactly the crowd that I was envisioning in my head. Basically the Hess Village crowd with different music.
Pretty much the exact same people that infrequently go to dirty dog's.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
the building east of it is on the verge of collapse. No wonder it's up for so cheap.
You weren't kidding, I was walking past yesterday and snapped this picture. Not sure I have seen a building held together by straps before.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 3:44 AM

I guess it's not as dangerous as it looks because the law office is still "open during renovations".

Vintage Hamilton has a photo of the building when it was the Lake & Bailey City Flour Mill. What's standing today is only about a third of its original width.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 7:27 PM

The view from across John St. today. Not sure when the latest activity was.

Last edited by Bubba9000; Sep 18, 2018 at 7:54 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation