HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 7:32 PM

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 6:58 PM

I really love how these turned out. Like, really really love. I can't wait until a few years from now when the materials age and the landscaping fills in. These are going to be a really special architectural feature for the north end.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:05 PM

Project completed!

It's finished. Gorgeous!

From the Architourist article today:

"Architect Bill Curran has thrown down the gauntlet in his native Hamilton … hard.

"It's pretty extreme, architecturally, for the neighbourhood," he says of the trio of adaptively reused, freehold townhouses he's just finished in the North End. "And I hope it's like a splash of cold water in the face of some people, aesthetically, because in Toronto this would be relatively anonymous or innocuous, but here, there's nothing like it."

Link to the Globe and Mail article: https://tgam.ca/2mKXHlO

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
It's finished. Gorgeous!

From the Architourist article today:

"Architect Bill Curran has thrown down the gauntlet in his native Hamilton … hard.

"It's pretty extreme, architecturally, for the neighbourhood," he says of the trio of adaptively reused, freehold townhouses he's just finished in the North End. "And I hope it's like a splash of cold water in the face of some people, aesthetically, because in Toronto this would be relatively anonymous or innocuous, but here, there's nothing like it."

Link to the Globe and Mail article: https://tgam.ca/2mKXHlO
Love the headline!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 3:14 AM

All three units are listed on realtor.ca:

- 7 Brock Street | $699,777

- 9 Brock Street | $699,000

- 11 Brock Street | $999,111

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 4:46 AM

To put it nicely, I'm not fond of those interiors... Some of the details are nice, but it looks like a bit of a mess overall to me.

And best of luck with that pricing...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconPoutine View Post
To put it nicely, I'm not fond of those interiors... Some of the details are nice, but it looks like a bit of a mess overall to me.

And best of luck with that pricing...
Fully agree.

There are some nice aspects inside, but some things look cheap (even if they're not)... and the layout is awkward.

The pricing is out of wack.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Fully agree.

There are some nice aspects inside, but some things look cheap (even if they're not)... and the layout is awkward.

The pricing is out of wack.
Pricing is ultimately set by the marketplace. There are buyers for these listings, but they may come from Toronto. Horrors!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 3:32 PM

Hm, I kind of disagree. I do find some of the finishing touches a bit odd, but it's certainly not cheap. The pictures in the listing are pretty bad. It's definitely in the high range but if you want the perks of a new build with unique architecture, there aren't many of those on the market. This is very much in line with many of the new builds being done everywhere else in the GTA except Hamilton, so I don't think the market will be a problem.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 4:28 PM
Hamilton Historian

The interior reminds me of a shack in the arctic, combined with modern elements.. it's really weird.. but hey at least they are trying something innovative I suppose..

It's certainly better than what it WAS.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 9:32 PM
Forever forward.

Yuck! The interior looks like a loft, cabin, chalet, and condo mixed in one. Not a compliment.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 11:31 PM

Those interiors are obviously professionally designed but they miss the mark a little for me. The materials seem very high quality - it might be the colours more than anything else.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 12:50 AM
Ham-burgher

I don't mind the interiors, though the walls could use warmer colours -- what they chose seems to be too blah and washed out, at least for me.

The placement of some of those support posts will definitely limit furniture layout options.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 1:34 AM

The same architect is responsible for the I wing at Mohawk as well as various other interior renovations, and I can't help but get a Mohawk College vibe from these townhomes. Since I went there I wouldn't be able to shake it and would probably keep me from buying one of these (also I am poor)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:47 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
The same architect is responsible for the I wing at Mohawk as well as various other interior renovations, and I can't help but get a Mohawk College vibe from these townhomes. Since I went there I wouldn't be able to shake it and would probably keep me from buying one of these (also I am poor)
Personally, I think the I-wing at mohawk, for a school addition, was absolutely gorgeous - so many different angles and styles, so much natural light let in - when I went to mohawk I simply loved BEING in this wing.. I loved how there were walkways you could walk under, there was just always some new architectural thing peeking out at you at every corner.

And that greenish blue tinted glass.. muah! It's gorgeous to look at inside and out too

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton