HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 9:40 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
^ after all, it does take an IQ to know what an EI is (Emotional Intellegence, that is, as if I needed to spell it out)
Best for you not to spell it out. Otherwise, it should be spelled out given EI is better known as Employment Insurance than some pseudo science.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Who has ever played baseball at a 'centre'? That's always bothered me. A decision obviously made by a non-sports fan, thus the issue with Rogers owning the team.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Who has ever played baseball at a 'centre'? That's always bothered me. A decision obviously made by a non-sports fan, thus the issue with Rogers owning the team.
Smartest move they could make is to name it the (Insert company name here) Skydome. Like Rogers should have named it the Rogers Skydome.

That Would make Toronto happy

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 5:30 PM

Back to the Mosiac thing. Again, I wasn't meaning to sound insensitive. I personally have no attachment to the place, I have no doubt it has meaning in the community but from the bigger picture I love seeing the Old buildings being replaced because they held the league back and made it look like a lesser product.

It wasn't meant as a dig to Regina or Sask. You guys have the Nicest Stadium in the nation. Mosiac 1.0 was a terrible representation of the province and its passion for football. That's all I'm saying. Maybe I could have worded it better but the basic messege is the same. Those old buildings were shit. The new or renovated buildings are awesome.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 6:55 PM

^ FWIW I don't get the impression that anyone is seriously suggesting Sask should have kept Taylor Field... it's just that people naturally have some sentimental attachment to a place that they have a lot of happy memories from.

I mean, I can understand... I liked Winnipeg Stadium and I was sad to see it demolished, but I'd never actually want to go back to it. (Winnipeg Arena, on the other hand...)

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 7:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ FWIW I don't get the impression that anyone is seriously suggesting Sask should have kept Taylor Field... it's just that people naturally have some sentimental attachment to a place that they have a lot of happy memories from.

I mean, I can understand... I liked Winnipeg Stadium and I was sad to see it demolished, but I'd never actually want to go back to it. (Winnipeg Arena, on the other hand...)
Where did they end up putting that huge picture of the Queen?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Where did they end up putting that huge picture of the Queen?
It's in storage somewhere... some guys bought it not that long ago and intended to put it on display, but that hasn't happened. It's so big that I don't know where they would find a space for it.

More:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...home-1.3715235

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 11:27 PM

Some shots of the REDBLACKS locker room and TD Place Stadium (start at 2:35)

#CFLGAMEDAY Kickin It in Ottawa
cfl.ca November 5, 2017

Brian Jackson of Team Jackson Kicking and his son Korbin check out the home of the 105th Grey Cup, TD Place, and take in a REDBLACKS game and all that Ottawa has to offer!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Smartest move they could make is to name it the (Insert company name here) Skydome. Like Rogers should have named it the Rogers Skydome.

That Would make Toronto happy
I'll answer my own question. As much as I dislike the name Rogers Centre, had Rogers originally gone with Rogers Skydome everyone would have continued to call it Skydome or 'the Dome' thus making the branding irrelevant.

Should have called it Rogers Field or something but they viewed it as an entertainment facility as opposed to a baseball or football stadium.

But, yes, fans would certainly like to see the name Skydome come back into use.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I'll answer my own question. As much as I dislike the name Rogers Centre, had Rogers originally gone with Rogers Skydome everyone would have continued to call it Skydome or 'the Dome' thus making the branding irrelevant.

Should have called it Rogers Field or something but they viewed it as an entertainment facility as opposed to a baseball or football stadium.

But, yes, fans would certainly like to see the name Skydome come back into use.
Every company that has had naming rights for the Saddledome has kept the name Saddledome following their name. Yes we still call it the dome or just Saddledome but who cares.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 5:30 AM

For the type of cash Rogers is looking for in naming rights for Skydome, my fear it will be a bank (I'll be honest in saying that "RBC Field" does not sound terrible).

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 3:13 PM
I am the law!

It doesn't make sense for Rogers to totally give up their name on the building. I doubt this will pass unless we get something crazy like RBC Rogers Centre.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 4:38 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It doesn't make sense for Rogers to totally give up their name on the building. I doubt this will pass unless we get something crazy like RBC Rogers Centre.
It makes less sense for Rogers to insist that their name stays on the building to be co-branded with another (paying) company. I can't see a lot of companies lining up to do that.

Although, it could end up being something like RBC Field at Rogers Centre. There is precedent for that kind of naming arrangement.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 7:49 PM

Rogers paid nothing to put their name on the building, plus they also get unlimited (free) opportunities to inject their brand into the 100+ Blue Jays games that are televised nationwide.

After Scotiabank blew the house down with windfall money, Rogers realized they were stupid to not jump on the wagon and attempt to get similar dollars for naming rights. One could make the argument that Skydome naming rights are worth more as the Jays have truly national exposure versus the Leafs. Even if Rogers does not get $800 mio., then there is no reason why Rogers can't get ~$500 mio. for a naming rights deal; which is much-needed cash they will need for renovations towards Rogers Centre which are upcoming.

Rogers has their name spammed all over sports buildings in Canada currently, they won't miss the opportunity to get a boatload of cash for a naming rights deal.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 4:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here are a few pictures showing the current construction status for the new downtown events centre in Moncton:

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 2:53 PM

^ Looks good. With the big single bowl, all the glass, the boxes on the one side and the red/black/grey colour scheme, the interior reminds me a bit of the Ottawa Civic Centre

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 3:16 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Rogers paid nothing to put their name on the building, plus they also get unlimited (free) opportunities to inject their brand into the 100+ Blue Jays games that are televised nationwide.

After Scotiabank blew the house down with windfall money, Rogers realized they were stupid to not jump on the wagon and attempt to get similar dollars for naming rights. One could make the argument that Skydome naming rights are worth more as the Jays have truly national exposure versus the Leafs. Even if Rogers does not get $800 mio., then there is no reason why Rogers can't get ~$500 mio. for a naming rights deal; which is much-needed cash they will need for renovations towards Rogers Centre which are upcoming.

Rogers has their name spammed all over sports buildings in Canada currently, they won't miss the opportunity to get a boatload of cash for a naming rights deal.
In other words, they are currently saving a fortune in their advertisement budget by paying nothing to have their name on a stadium in Toronto. No reason those savings couldn't be redirected towards the Blue Jays' budget. Rogers is a company that does need to market itself to annoying levels. It still doesn't make any sense to give up this amazing asset which they even own.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 3:21 PM

^ What boggles the mind is that Rogers bought Skydome for $25 million in 2004.

Contrast with Scotiabank buying naming rights to the ACC for, what, $40 million a year?

I find it astounding that no one bid up the price of the Skydome when it was on the market. It went practically for salvage value.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 3:29 PM
I am the law!

It was 13 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 3:39 PM

^ For comparison sake, MTS Centre was built that year to house a AHL team for $133.5 million. This was a then 15 year old stadium several times the size, with two teams as tenants. $25 million was still a crazy price for Skydome even at the time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada