HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Yes, maybe. I rented a second place on the Riverfront when I used to work in Wilmington full-time and did not feel unsafe walking there. But maybe I'm foolish...Riverfront is probably also a little more insulated that Market Street. I'm not sure there's been any murders there.
Yeah, the Riverfront is waaaaaaay more insulated. No serious crime issues really.

http://php.delawareonline.com/news/evergreen/crime/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 8:31 PM

Super curious right now, that wiki link jones posted says that 1001-1011 Jefferson St has been approved and expected to complete 2018, currently undergoing site prep (I drive by here every day, haven't seen anything going on).

Additionally, something about a 1200 Market St, coming in at 162 ft with residential and retail. Anyone know anything about this/more on Jefferson?

And of course 2 Christina Center is still proposed.

EDIT: Turns out I've seen 1200 Market St before it's rendered on colonial parking: http://colonialparking.com/properties/.

Both sites have been approved according to that wiki link but I wish there was an official link. The NCCO website details all other projects in the county outside of the city districts, but the city doesn't publish anything as far as I know.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Yeah, the Riverfront is waaaaaaay more insulated. No serious crime issues really.

http://php.delawareonline.com/news/evergreen/crime/
Yep. Are there any decent condos or townhomes outside the Riverfront? Like more the Market Street area?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
Super curious right now, that wiki link jones posted says that 1001-1011 Jefferson St has been approved and expected to complete 2018, currently undergoing site prep (I drive by here every day, haven't seen anything going on).

Additionally, something about a 1200 Market St, coming in at 162 ft with residential and retail. Anyone know anything about this/more on Jefferson?

And of course 2 Christina Center is still proposed.

EDIT: Turns out I've seen 1200 Market St before it's rendered on colonial parking: http://colonialparking.com/properties/.

Both sites have been approved according to that wiki link but I wish there was an official link. The NCCO website details all other projects in the county outside of the city districts, but the city doesn't publish anything as far as I know.
Okay, so about the 1001-1011 Jefferson street project, I think that either the wiki link is a little bit wrong or that this project is on hold. I've been driving by the site a lot lately and besides the sign there, It's just a parking lot. I hope this doesn't end up like 2 Christina Centre did. Especially considering that this tower would probably be the next tallest building in Wilmington. If I were to guess, this project isn't going to happen until later because the city right now is focused on the Residents @ Midtown Park and the Harlan Flats Phase 2. Maybe towards the completion of these projects, then the city will consider the project in this lot.

About the 1200 Market Street Project, pretty much almost the same story as the one above. This one although seems to be more of a mixed use building where as the other one is probably just an office building. I hope both of these projects happen sometime soon.

And 2 Christina Centre is basically just a dead project. The sign was there for years, the project never happened, and Brandywine Trust sold the lot to Chase (I won't be surprised if Chase does something here).

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Yep. Are there any decent condos or townhomes outside the Riverfront? Like more the Market Street area?
Not sure if you mean brand new, or planned?
There are fine neighborhoods in the City of Wilmington proper, outside of the Riverfront redevelopment -- Trolley Square/Forty Acres, the Highlands, Bancroft Parkway, Midtown Brandywine/Happy Valley ...that range from everything from high rise to mid-rise condos/apts, big Victorian's, Philly-style red brick rowhouses, stately mansions... not sure how familiar you are with Wilmington..., or exactly looking for.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Not sure if you mean brand new, or planned?
There are fine neighborhoods in the City of Wilmington proper, outside of the Riverfront redevelopment -- Trolley Square/Forty Acres, the Highlands, Bancroft Parkway, Midtown Brandywine/Happy Valley ...that range from everything from high rise to mid-rise condos/apts, big Victorian's, Philly-style red brick rowhouses, stately mansions... not sure how familiar you are with Wilmington..., or exactly looking for.
Either, I guess. I guess I'm trying to figure out if owning property as an investment property in Wilmington would make any sense. I have basic familiarity but not close to the level for Philly. I worked there for a year, rented on the Riverfront (a second place) but otherwise didn't get to many places outside Market Street and don't have good familiarity with its real estate market or growth prospects.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 6:11 PM

The defunct Granite Run Mall gets new life as hub for entertainment, residential and retail

Quote:
Defunct Granite Run Mall in Media, Delaware County, which closed in summer 2015, has gotten a new lease on life as The Promenade at Granite Run.

Developer BET Investments of Horsham, run by Michael Markman and Bruce Toll (co-founder of Toll Bros.) are taking the mall in a new direction - think entertainment and apartments - under a $120 million mixed use redevelopment plan.

In its resurrected form, the mall will have retail on the first level, a Frank’s Theatres Cinebowl and Grille – a combination movie theater, dine-in restaurant and bowling alley on the second level - as well as 400 residential apartments, and a 7,000-square-foot Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia pediatric office, among its new features.

The mall sits on 88 acres of an all-developed tract. Markman said the square footage of the new mall will be smaller, going from about 1 million square feet to about 820,000 square feet.

“But we are adding 400 apartments,” he said.

The one- and two-bedroom units will average around $1,750 per month.

The first floor will comprise traditional retailers – junior anchor tenants that Markman said he will be announcing in a few months. The site is nearly 85 percent leased, he said.

In total, the mall will offer 350,000 square feet of retail.

Markman said walking paths between the retail and residential are being added.

“We are putting a trail around the perimeter and the Township is calling it a "spoke" to connect different parts of the township,” including with the township building and library. “We are even putting in an overpass between Acme and the apartments so food shoppers can get their groceries without getting rained on.”

An Acme and Kohl’s, described as strong performers on the site, also stayed.

The 68,000 square foot Cinebowl will sit where the old JCPenney used to be, new apartments will be above the Acme market, while the new CHOP pediatric office will front the Kohl’s on a free standing building facing Baltimore Pike.
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...e.html?photo_2

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 8:03 PM
BANNED

^should be interesting- much more like what you see in places like Maryland. I'm sure many of the people out there wont be happy about the new residents and traffic, but this is huge improvement over status quo.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
^should be interesting- much more like what you see in places like Maryland. I'm sure many of the people out there wont be happy about the new residents and traffic, but this is huge improvement over status quo.
I'm so glad to see the mall coming back to life as a "town center"-type of development. I grew up walking through this mall, was employed at Kohl's-Granite Run from 2012-2013 when I was in high school, and watched its gradual decline. The Philadelphia area is over-saturated with malls, especially large malls. Why go to Granite Run when one can go to King of Prussia, Cherry Hill, Christiana (with no sales tax), or even the Springfield Mall up Baltimore Pike? Having to compete with the retail districts of Center City Philadelphia and even New York City, as well as the advent of online shopping, also affected its bottom line.

One aspect of this project that I REALLY like is the shuttling of residents to Media. For those of you that have never visited, Media is a beautiful little town with great shopping, restaurants, and transit connections to Philly (the Media/Elwyn Line and 101 trolley). It will be great to see retail along State Street get a boost, especially during events like Dining Under the Stars in the summer!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 9:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I'm so glad to see the mall coming back to life as a "town center"-type of development. I grew up walking through this mall, was employed at Kohl's-Granite Run from 2012-2013 when I was in high school, and watched its gradual decline. The Philadelphia area is over-saturated with malls, especially large malls. Why go to Granite Run when one can go to King of Prussia, Cherry Hill, Christiana (with no sales tax), or even the Springfield Mall up Baltimore Pike? Having to compete with the retail districts of Center City Philadelphia and even New York City, as well as the advent of online shopping, also affected its bottom line.

One aspect of this project that I REALLY like is the shuttling of residents to Media. For those of you that have never visited, Media is a beautiful little town with great shopping, restaurants, and transit connections to Philly (the Media/Elwyn Line and 101 trolley). It will be great to see retail along State Street get a boost, especially during events like Dining Under the Stars in the summer!
Did you go to Penncrest?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Did you go to Penncrest?
No, I actually attended Cardinal O'Hara in Springfield from 2009-2013! Nevertheless, I knew some people from Penncrest since I lived right down 352 in Brookhaven. Excellent school district composed of excellent towns (Media, Rose Valley, etc)!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 9:42 PM

I drove past he Marriot project in Wilmington today. Forgot to get a picture, but there's now plastic and window installation going on there!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 9:36 PM

Some updates from Phoenixville. If you're not familiar, Phoenixville has a lot of great urban development going on right now. Recently proposed was was a project called Steelworks, a mixed-use development on the main thoroughfare of 336 apartment units, 36,700 sqft of retail and a 500 car parking garage.

The same developer recently completed Phoenix Village (275 units) which is now 90% leased according to the Mayor on Facebook, so the developer has shown he can deliver and the market for this appears to be there.

We'll see if the market is still there however because now wrapping up is a Toll Brothers project called Riverworks (350 units).

Riverworks background, Phoenix Village foreground

About ready to open down the street from where Steelworks is proposed is The Foodery, a Philly-based craft beer store.

Also up the road from Steelworks is an affordable housing development called Steeltown Village (48 units) by Petra Community Housing. This has approval and got $10 million in LIHTC awards so this is expected to get built.

A little outside of the borough on Rt. 23 near 724 is a project called 400 Westside (171 units) with retail commitments from Dunkin Donuts, PetValu, Wayback Burger, Tre Nail Bar, and a dry cleaner.

Overall I'm just excited about what's going on in my hometown. Pville is a nice, centrally located urban center for people working in suburban office areas like KOP, Great Valley, and Collegeville. Cheers!

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Dec 19, 2016 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 11:20 PM

Also being from phoenixville I can't be more excited. So much development, such a shift in demographics with new young people moving in also young families and seemingly everyone buying into the town it's great to see.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 12:22 AM

Update on downtown Wilmington's 200-unit Residence at Midtown Park:

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
I drove past he Marriot project in Wilmington today. Forgot to get a picture, but there's now plastic and window installation going on there!
This pic is from Dec 10. Looks the same today & haven't seen any visible progress on the exterior since beginning of December. Most of the work still seems to be happening inside.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 12:41 AM

Update: Wilmington 7 x Market renovation, adding 15 one-bedroom units http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...gton/90754038/

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
After the restoration:

Progress seen today on Market Street:

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 12:44 AM
SkyscraperSunset.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Some updates from Phoenixville.
Interesting update, and very comprehensive! Thanks

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 1:04 AM

Renovation underway at 415 Market Street Wilmington. Don't have any details:

Renovation underway at 603 Market Street Wilmington. Bar going in on the ground floor with apartments above (not sure how many):

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 1:29 AM

Just a question of interest. What do you think will happen to the DuPont Building if Chemours moves out of it? I was just reading a more recent article about how there was talk for them to possibly move into one of the Bank Of America towers, and it's beginning to make it seem more possible for them to want to move. Also, whats so bad about them in the Dupont Building anyway?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations