HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 7:59 PM

A cool Site for Futuristic cities...

I found this site with nice made up futuristic cities. The links are on the top left with links to the 3 pages of made up cities. Go to...

http://www.surrealplaces.com/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:04 PM

zeno333, thanks for the link...extremely cool digital renderings! I want to live in New Canal City.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 12:36 AM
Urban Advocate

It's actually designed and run by a guy who frequently posts on the Calgary thread.

EDIT: His screen name is actually "Surrealplaces" as well.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Last edited by rapid_business; Feb 4, 2007 at 7:43 AM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 1:33 AM
of the bay area

This guy could land a sweet job working for Dubai, China, or both.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 3:15 AM
Posh

Yeah, I've known about this one for a while. I've already got a bunch of those cities I use as wallpapers.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 8:58 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Cool - I remember the site/pictures from way before I joined any of the Scraper sites...

It's some awesome pics - just a shame we haven't seen any new ones in quite some time!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 2:40 PM
Bah!

I occasionally use these as wallpaper also. Great site.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 5:09 PM
Information Age

Interesting link, thanks.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 6:18 PM
Editor

This guy's work really sucks, and the guy's a total moron!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 7:16 PM

Although the guy is very skillful in CAD, his architectural imagination is extremely terrible! I completely dislike all the buildings, including the way he positions those buildings. They are just so bland, so dull, and have no originality! An example can be how much those buildings lack complementing textures and feelings to the atmosphere and context of the spaces. Why on earth are some of those images so blury?! Another can be the style of those buildings, which are so boring and ugly that lack depth and meaning to them. It does not capture my imagination and there is no uplifting, awe-inspiring element to any of them that would shock or inspire you in an enlightening, purposeful or rather electrifying way. Neither does it conform to anything that unifies nature and humanity with a sense of unity and harmony to which all of us designers should aim to do. To me it's more like a landfill of waste space and materials; an architectural mess. If he has achieved anything, it's probably his ability to demonstrate his skills on CAD but that's it.

My advice is, the guy needs to investigate the world a bit more, such as into the workings of nature, and the nature of the world, and derive concepts and ideas that come from what has been observed. One direct suggestion to his work: MAKE THOSE DARN IMAGES CLEARER

Last edited by Imperar; Feb 5, 2007 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:01 PM

I love those images I had no idea it's the same guy on the Calgary thread. I've downloaded some of those pictures before.

Are there going to be any more in the future??

Awesome work Surrealplaces

@Imperar

I don't know what your problem is. Constructive ctritcism is one thing (and I do agree about the blurriness of the images) but your crticism makes you come across as a petty, small person, or someone with a ripped off life. Perhaps, you're the one who needs to investigate the world more.

Last edited by Just Build It; Feb 5, 2007 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 9:56 PM
Reach for the heavens

I've seen these pictures before in Digital Blasphemy, Awesome work! I don't think he's doing much of that kind of stuff anymore. I haven't seen any new pictures for quite a while.

Anyhow, if you're reading this Surrealplaces, hopefully you'll be making up some more of those pictures

If your'e reading this Impesar, please take a course in 'how not to be a boorish idiot' before making any more posts.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 10:37 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperar View Post
Although the guy is very skillful in CAD, his architectural imagination is extremely terrible! I completely dislike all the buildings, including the way he positions those buildings. They are just so bland, so dull, and have no originality! An example can be how much those buildings lack complementing textures and feelings to the atmosphere and context of the spaces. Why on earth are some of those images so blury?! Another can be the style of those buildings, which are so boring and ugly that lack depth and meaning to them. It does not capture my imagination and there is no uplifting, awe-inspiring element to any of them that would shock or inspire you in an enlightening, purposeful or rather electrifying way. Neither does it conform to anything that unifies nature and humanity with a sense of unity and harmony to which all of us designers should aim to do. To me it's more like a landfill of waste space and materials; an architectural mess. If he has achieved anything, it's probably his ability to demonstrate his skills on CAD but that's it.

My advice is, the guy needs to investigate the world a bit more, such as into the workings of nature, and the nature of the world, and derive concepts and ideas that come from what has been observed. One direct suggestion to his work: MAKE THOSE DARN IMAGES CLEARER
I don't think he gave a shit about any of this stuff to be honest.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 5:55 AM
Editor

Just wanted to say, thanks for all the great comments. I will be doing some more cityscapes soon. I don't have access to 3D Studio Max, which is the program I use for the cityscapes, but will again soon. I'll have a bigger better workstation, and can hopefully build better cityscapes.

As for the comments by Imparar....normally I wouldn't bother responding to those kinds of posts here on the forum, whether it be skyscraper related stuff or my own artwork. I've received hundreds maybe thousands of e-mails from people commenting on the cityscapes and all of it positive, so I was kind of surprised to see Impesars post, and just wanted to respond to a couple of points.

Although the guy is very skillful in CAD, his architectural imagination is extremely terrible! I completely dislike all the buildings, including the way he positions those buildings. They are just so bland, so dull, and have no originality! An example can be how much those buildings lack complementing textures and feelings to the atmosphere and context of the spaces.

It looks like you missed the whole idea behind the cityscapes. They are supposed to be semi-real, like a city that might really exist, but yet doesn't exist. That's why many of the buildings are square and look like they're from the 70's. As far as positioning the buildings, they are positioned like a typical city, with grid-like city blocks.

Neither does it conform to anything that unifies nature and humanity with a sense of unity and harmony to which all of us designers should aim to do.
Why should it conform to something that unifies nature with humanity?? These are simply surreal pictures...just basic art, that's all it is.
By the way, I'm not a designer. I'm not trying to design a building or some kind of architecture that inspires or uplifts somebody. The images are all about the collection of buildings as a group and the general shape of the skylines.

My advice is, the guy needs to investigate the world a bit more, such as into the workings of nature, and the nature of the world, and derive concepts and ideas that come from what has been observed.

My advice to you. Learn to look at an image and just see it as it is. No need to analyze it to death, and dervice concepts from what has been observed, yadd, yadda. Like I say, many people have enjoyed the pictures, and have let me know so. They get it.

Imperar, it's sounds like you are designer. I haven't seen any of your cityscapes...I wouldn't mind seeing them

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 10:05 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ Yep, I'll bet he's an architect

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 1:08 PM
Honored Member

This site exsists since a long time , perhaps the oilbarons got their inspiration from those stunning drawings

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 1:15 PM
Retarded User

Wow...beaufitul renderings - wish I were that creative...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 5:06 PM

Love those pictures Surrealplaces Can't wait to see what you come up with for Calgary!
Imperar, stop hating!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 7:22 PM

SurrealPlaces:

I do apologise if my comments were rather harsh, usually I wouldn't post in that manner unless I was really bothered about a particular design, in which case, I was. I'm not making a personal attack on you at all, I think you have excellent skills with 3D softwares and a vast potential in designing that can be greatly developed (you would make a fine designer), but I really felt that I needed to be honest about my opinion concerning the architectural style with which you presented in your work (this is to do with your cityscape work, respectively(your other works appear fine by contrast)), yet to me they appeared quite disturbing, why that is, is down to the way I envision the world to be. Again I am sorry that my comment in my previous post came out as an extreme form of criticism, looking back yes, it does give others the impression that I am a small, narrow-minded person, I admit to that. I am trying however, my best at all times to be open, and it does usually require others to give me the kick in the backside. I would not usually give extreme criticisms to anyone's work unless I really felt it needed it. In any case, no hard feelings at all.

Now returning back to some of the points raised, again, I am sorry for misunderstanding that you are not a designer? I had assumed you were; I am myself a student of architecture. At my university we are somehow taught to design, in any design, to incorporate at least, the natural orders of the world. It has almost become my personal ideology; a doctrine if you will. Something that MUST be done. Anything that is not, is simply not design. It has led me to the belief that radical designs beyond imagining can be conceived; one must be ambitious and fanatical...and so on and so on. To change the world

And so when I began to observe your work, I literally felt I could not breathe! I just felt your designs could do with more contrasts, more green, more freedom! This is me in my utmost honesty here. However, if this was your intention, then I do respect that. The intention of creating artistic work that conforms to surrealist landscape.

Nevertheless, I feel it is important to clarify what exactly that means; I've defined art as 'a manifestation of expression', and surrealism as 'expressions into the workings of the subconscious', and when i looked at your work, i just felt it simply lacked that feeling of 'surreal-ness' to them because they compare too closely with reality itself and nothing into the mind, for example, you have mentioned the 'square buildings' and 'city grid', therefore I couldn't see it as art either for they were neither expressions but mere reproductions, which led me to the conclusion that, it was simply created for the hell of it, like photocopying, which I indeed felt, lacked depth and meaning, to which point I thought the designer didn't understand his work either. That's when I was really moved to post the way I did. I did post because I care.

It is true to say that I do over-analyze everything, which can have its advantages and disadvantages depending on the circumstances and or context of the work, but this is how I have been taught in my school; an important part of the design process requires one to be analytical, and alongside my idealogy for an ideal way to design, I think that perhaps caused a little tension which I did not intend as such, in otherwords, I ment good, probably not brought in the best way, but then again, I do commend you in your efforts. I am confident your skills will progress in good time provided sufficient practice, and I do look forward to seeing more work from you in the future, just to compare how they evolve through time.

I am curious to ask whether you have taken courses in art, graphics design, engineering, or architecture by any chance?

Last edited by Imperar; Feb 6, 2007 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 8:17 PM
Editor

@ Imperar

Thanks for responding. I too can apologize for maybe taking it a bit too personal. I was a bit taken back when i read the post.

When I first started doing the cityscapes they were more industrial and dark looking, and were merely a type of art. The later pictures have changed to more bright looking city scenes. I've been wanting to do cityscapes that are more utopian style, but part of the problem is it is more difficult to do the cityscapes with the greenery.
To be honest I haven't found a good way to incorpoarte trees, etc.. into the cityscapes.

As far as future designs. I've have been wanting to do cityscapes with more imaginative architecture. The current scapes are basically boxes and basic looking buildings. The thought was more into the numbers of buildings and the size of the cityscape.
I'm open to ideas of buildings to make. If someone wants to send me a conceptual picture of a building or city, I can take a stab at it.

You had mentioned the blurriness of the pictures. This has been brought up by others, and all I can say is that future pictures will be less blurry. Some of the earlier images were made with a different program, and in trying to create depth I added in some haze, and in the end it made the pictures blurry.
Newer ones will have a bit of haze, but I'll be going more for clarity and color.

I actually haven't taken any architecture or graphic design, and that's probably why the images lack for certain things.

We'll see what the future images are like. I'll be getting a new workstation with 3D Studio max soon. I'll have alot more horsepower so hopefully I can do some better stuff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art