HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 11:34 PM

Sure,

Waffle House has been tried here and never worked out with all the breakfast taco places around here.
I have eaten at Waffle House in other states while traveling to Florida and the Hilton it ain't. It simply isn't that good and grits aren't eaten here in Texas anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
If I were them, I'd toss out Denny's and aim to bring the first Waffle House back to the area. That would drive some traffic for a bit

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 2:38 PM
James

Boerne mayor bracing for impact of approaching SA sprawl

I thought this was a good read regarding the sprawl encroaching on Boerne. Everyone looks to New Braunfels but forgets Boerne is right there and will like get swallowed up pretty quickly.

Quote:
That continued explosive development northwest of San Antonio comes at a cost. And Boerne, a quaint town grappling with its own growing pains, could pay a steep price.

“Candidly, most of the growth that's going on is outside of the city limits of Boerne. There are no rules for what that looks like,” Boerne Mayor Tim Handren said. “I don't know what it's going to look like. That’s the bad thing.

It’s becoming nearly impossible to tell where San Antonio stops and Boerne begins as what’s left of undeveloped land along that stretch of the Interstate 10 corridor is being gobbled up.

Boerne’s quiet space could give way to developers’ torrid pace.
Enlarge
Boerne’s quiet space could give way to developers’ torrid pace.
CARLOS JAVIER SANCHEZ | SABJ

One of the more recent examples of that northward migration is a nearly 120-acre ranch between San Antonio and Boerne now earmarked for a major mixed-use development. The planned Lemon Creek Ranch project will include more than 2,000 feet of frontage along the heavily traversed highway.

Handren expects that the area south of Boerne will become too congested, placing increasing pressure on the community’s resources and infrastructure.

“Traffic and water are my two biggest concerns right now. That's going to be the part that's hard to figure out,” he said. “We're already 20 years too late on both those fronts.”

Boerne officials are taking measures to control what they can. The city recently approved a new unified development code that will create some boundaries. Handren said it’s a well-thought-out approach to address what’s headed Boerne’s way.

Yet, the city is still largely at the mercy of what happens outside of its borders, needing to weigh its own growth needs against the incredible activity that’s headed its way.

Asked what the future holds for his city, Handren paused.

“No one has that 10-year crystal ball,” he said. “I don't think anyone 10 years ago thought the area would be growing the way it is now.”

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Boerne mayor bracing for impact of approaching SA sprawl

I thought this was a good read regarding the sprawl encroaching on Boerne. Everyone looks to New Braunfels but forgets Boerne is right there and will like get swallowed up pretty quickly.
Medina Valley and Hondo will soon be squealing also, if they're not already.

We need a region wide approach to public transportation, and water needs, and we needed it, like Handren says, twenty years ago.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Medina Valley and Hondo will soon be squealing also, if they're not already.

We need a region wide approach to public transportation, and water needs, and we needed it, like Handren says, twenty years ago.
But that’s not the ‘Merica Way.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 12:29 AM

Sure,

Hardberger has been a visionary for San Antonio and continues to be visionary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
He has to be upbeat....what's he supposed to say "this sucks, that sucks, we suck, they suck everything sucks!!"

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 1:53 AM

And Castroville is taking steps to keep it's identity in the face of the coming onslaught that is San Antonio's sprawl:

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sa-inc/...EbhXEH0pHeej3k

Will also post this in the suburban thread.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 11:21 PM

Deal to preserve Honey Creek moves forward with Texas Parks and Wildlife approval

https://sanantonioreport.org/deal-honey-creek-texas-p

Commissioners on Thursday unanimously voted in favor of a land deal involving the department, the Nature Conservancy, and Texas Parks and Wildlife Foundation that would preserve 515 acres at the headwaters of Honey Creek. The private ranch land intended for purchase lies upstream of Guadalupe River State Park and Honey Creek State Natural Area off of State Highway 46 in Comal County.

The land is slated for a more than 1,600-home development and three schools. Ronnie and Terry Urbanczyk, owners of the property known as Honey Creek Ranch, have already secured a permit for a sewage treatment plant and a contract to supply water to the property

Water supply contract could derail dreams of a park at Honey Creek

https://sanantonioreport.org/water-s...=widget_item-1

When Texas Parks and Wildlife commissioners gave their approval to turn a ranch upstream of Honey Creek into a public park rather than a controversial subdivision, opponents of the development rejoiced.

But this week, many were learning more about a looming issue that could kill the park proposal in its early stages. David Holmes, a representative of landowners Ronnie and Terry Urbanczyk, met with neighbors and local officials Monday to detail how an existing contract to supply water for the proposed development threatens to derail the deal.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 11:34 PM

As Walmart and other chains move in, Castroville families band together to preserve downtown’s character

https://sanantonioreport.org/castrov...wn-investment/

Serious conversations about forming a fund to purchase downtown buildings started in May, and in July, the Kempf brothers and a few associates hosted what might be considered a come-to-Jesus meeting in the big ballroom of the restored events center on Fiorella Street, a 1907 building that’s been a lot of things over the years, from hardware store to saloon.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 6:55 PM

Rare opportunity: Century-old former cattle market property up for sale

https://sanantonioreport.org/century...ards-for-sale/

For the first time in 132 years, a parcel of land west of downtown San Antonio, where an iconic brown and white longhorn statue guards the gates, is for sale.

The fifth-generation owners of Union Stock Yards, a former cattle market founded by a group of ranchers in 1889, put the 30-acre property on the market in September.

It is the first sale of the property since Dr. Amos Graves, a surgeon at Santa Rosa Hospital, purchased it in 1894. At the time, San Antonio’s population numbered about 37,000 and the Bexar County Courthouse would soon be built.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 11:58 PM

Express-News owner finds buyer for its historic downtown building

https://sanantonioreport.org/san-ant...building-sale/

The owner of the Express-News Building has entered into a contract to sell the 1929 downtown office building that formerly housed the newspaper to an Austin-based real estate and investment firm.

Sutton Waller Creek, a company affiliated with The Sutton Company, plans to buy the building from Hearst Corp., the New York-based parent company of the San Antonio Express-News, according to a recent report by the newspaper

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 11:42 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Express-News owner finds buyer for its historic downtown building

https://sanantonioreport.org/san-ant...building-sale/

The owner of the Express-News Building has entered into a contract to sell the 1929 downtown office building that formerly housed the newspaper to an Austin-based real estate and investment firm.

Sutton Waller Creek, a company affiliated with The Sutton Company, plans to buy the building from Hearst Corp., the New York-based parent company of the San Antonio Express-News, according to a recent report by the newspaper
I worked the night shift in the mail room one summer in about 1988. One night a co-worker and I gave ourselves a little sneak tour of the building and found our way up to the "tower" balcony. Between the old offices and large spaces like the mail room, the building would make for awesome condos and/or apartments.

They might even keep the historic building and tear down the mail room and other parts in the back and replace them with a lovely parking garage.

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/15/14/77/.../5/920x920.jpg

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 6:04 PM

Renderings show details of forthcoming park near San Antonio's Hays Street Bridge

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio...t?oid=27375971

Civil engineering company Dunaway is giving San Antonians a first glimpse of the long-awaited Berkley V. and Vincent M. Dawson Park being developed adjacent Hays Street Bridge, MySA reports.

The company unveiled renderings of the park earlier this week. The site will include a series of plazas, a 12,000-square-foot skate park, green space, a playground and an event area centered on a relocated gazebo from the Alamo grounds, according to Dunaway’s website.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I worked the night shift in the mail room one summer in about 1988. One night a co-worker and I gave ourselves a little sneak tour of the building and found our way up to the "tower" balcony. Between the old offices and large spaces like the mail room, the building would make for awesome condos and/or apartments.

They might even keep the historic building and tear down the mail room and other parts in the back and replace them with a lovely parking garage.

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/15/14/77/.../5/920x920.jpg
"The Express-News Building is Sutton’s first purchase of a building in downtown San Antonio, according to the Express-News report. The company plans to seek historic tax credits and possibly city incentives to renovate the building, turning it into a possible hotel, multifamily housing, and restaurant space."

Yeah, the printing building will be torn down.

I have a friend who works at the Express-News who says that the rumor around the office is the sale was for $12,000,000.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
"The Express-News Building is Sutton’s first purchase of a building in downtown San Antonio, according to the Express-News report. The company plans to seek historic tax credits and possibly city incentives to renovate the building, turning it into a possible hotel, multifamily housing, and restaurant space."

Yeah, the printing building will be torn down.

I have a friend who works at the Express-News who says that the rumor around the office is the sale was for $12,000,000.
Yeah, I'd be surprised if they kept the rest of the industrial parts of the building. The historic part will be a beautiful front portion of whatever they build there. Would be very nice as multi-family.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 9:00 PM

Splashtown closing after 37 years? City Council approves zoning change for Cavender car dealership

Bobby Cavender told San Antonio City Council that the family wants to put a Ford dealership where the water park currently stands

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021...ar-dealership/

SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio’s Splashtown water park could be closed for good if a deal goes through with Cavender Auto.
San Antonio City Council approved a zoning change Thursday that would allow for a car dealership to be built on the property.
Bobby Cavender told council members that the Cavender family is looking to buy the property because the owner of Splashtown “has decided to retire.”
Cavender said his auto dealer family wants to build a Ford dealership on the property. He said the deal would mean new jobs as they would probably be tripling their current staff and said many of those jobs would go to graduates of St. Philips and other technical schools in San Antonio.
Splashtown opened in San Antonio in 1985 as Waterpark USA. It was purchased from its second owner in 1991 by Chrismari Inc., and in 2006 President/General Manager Keith D. Kinney bought out the other shareholders’ interests in the property and became the sole owner, according to online sources.
Splashtown closed for the season on September 12.
KSAT has reached out to Splashtown management for comment.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:37 AM

"I imagine most people on this forum aren't old enough to remember the Alamodome funding brewhaha. City figures (including Henry Cisneros, Red McCombs and Nelson Wolff) and many other corporate figures alike all pushed for an increase in the Via (bus) tax to finance the Alamodome with the promise that it would help land an NFL team in San Antonio. Citizens voted in favor of the tax increase instead of asking an NFL that might be interested to pay for the construction themselves. Well, the dome got built, no team came to San Antonio and while the stadium has been used in many ways, it certainly didn't hold up to the promise that people made when they pushed for the public to finance what should have been a private venture. Maybe Wolff is thinking back to that in deciding his opinion about the baseball stadium. Who knows?[/QUOTE] JackinBeantown

Your words are prophetic. Yeah, UTSA uses the dome, (almost always mostly empty, we'll see how the rest of this year goes), and some home and garden BS, but nothing of note, (especially given the Covid crisis; who could see that coming?). Yup, we didn't vote on building the dome for concerts, and home and garden BS.

At least the Spurs had some good years there.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 4:48 AM

Now that UTSA is moving up the ranks they will need their own stadium on campus.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
Now that UTSA is moving up the ranks they will need their own stadium on campus.
I think this is what will happen:

1) We'll start seeing businesses move to Texas, more so San Antonio due to it being cheaper than Austin. More businesses means more suites in stadiums

2) I think with UTSA moving downtown and with their new conference, ACC, I do believe that they'll eventually get their own stadium. That stadium you ask???? Alamodome.

3) San Antonio WILL get an NFL team. And, when they do, they'll most likely build it by Six Flags area or in a location between SA and Austin. AND NO, Jerry Jones will no be affected by it. That Cowboys franchise is enormous, and he's also publicly favored a team in SA.

4) Once they get the team, you bet your ass I'll be a diehard fan.

Buffalo Bills will move to Toronto and captivate that Canadian audience and essentially the NYC of Canada.

Jacksonville Jaguars will move to San Antonio (name change) or be moved to London (highly doubt it)

Los Angeles Chargers will eventually want their own city and fan base so that's another team going to San Antonio or possibly St. Louis due to the lawsuit.

Other noticeable teams to possibly move:
- Cincinnati

With that in mind, there are legitimately four teams that could move by 2030.

#ChangeMyMind

Last edited by ajarreguin3; Oct 28, 2021 at 2:33 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajarreguin3 View Post

1) We'll start seeing businesses move to Texas, more so San Antonio due to it being cheaper than Austin. More businesses means more suites in stadiums

2) I think with UTSA moving downtown and with their new conference, ACC, I do believe that they'll eventually get their own stadium. That stadium you ask???? Alamodome.

3) San Antonio WILL get an NFL team. And, when they do, they'll most likely build it by Six Flags area or in a location between SA and Austin. AND NO, Jerry Jones will no be affected by it. That Cowboys franchise is enormous, and he's also publicly favored a team in SA.

Buffalo Bills will move to Toronto and captivate that Canadian audience and essentially the NYC of Canada.

Jacksonville Jaguars will move to San Antonio (name change) or be moved to London (highly doubt it)

Los Angeles Chargers will eventually want their own city and fan base so that's another team going to San Antonio or possibly St. Louis due to the lawsuit.

- Cincinnati

#ChangeMyMind

I LOVE THIS!!!
Only thing, I BELIEVE the Buffalo Bills will remain the Buffalo Bills in Buffalo. To much history there, in my opinion. High five on the rest of your post!! Awesome!!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:13 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajarreguin3 View Post

- Cincinnati

#ChangeMyMind

I applaud your enthusiasm. However, a lot of it is not based on fact or, let alone, reality (and, you know which part of your opinion to which I am speaking).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio