HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 2:35 AM

Hamilton, Bermuda

My wife and I took a cruise to Bermuda back in 2011, and we had the opportunity to explore the city of Hamilton.

Hamilton Street Map by jmd41280, on Flickr

Hamilton Waterfront by jmd41280, on Flickr

Front Street scene, Hamilton by jmd41280, on Flickr

The Birdcage by jmd41280, on Flickr

Sessions House by jmd41280, on Flickr

Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity by jmd41280, on Flickr

Flag at the foot of Burnaby Hill by jmd41280, on Flickr

Looking east on Church Street by jmd41280, on Flickr

Reid Street, Hamilton by jmd41280, on Flickr

View from Juice & Beans, Hamilton by jmd41280, on Flickr

Looking north on Burnaby Street by jmd41280, on Flickr

Palm tree along Hamilton's waterfront by jmd41280, on Flickr

Denizen of Par-la-Ville Park (1) by jmd41280, on Flickr

Great Kiskadee by jmd41280, on Flickr

Steps of Par-la-Ville Park by jmd41280, on Flickr

Barr's Bay Park by jmd41280, on Flickr

Bermudiana Road by jmd41280, on Flickr

Par-la-Ville Road by jmd41280, on Flickr

Waiting to Cross by jmd41280, on Flickr

Hamilton Cityscape by jmd41280, on Flickr

Church Street, from Fort Hamilton by jmd41280, on Flickr

View from Fort Hamilton (2) by jmd41280, on Flickr

Catamaran in the Harbour by jmd41280, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 5:28 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Nice!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 5:40 AM

Nice pictures! Bermuda seems like its flora is a cross between the coastal South and coastal New England. Makes sense, given the location.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 1:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great pictures!

I stayed with friends there for a week a few years ago. It was spectacular. And I was shocked at how gay friendly it was. We went out clubbing, my then partner and I, with two straight couples (friends). We just assumed we'd keep a low profile, only dance with the girls, etc. No big deal. We got there, and it was like a gay bar. That said, it is a VERY conservative place.

I loved the ferry ride across to that fancy hotel bar with the pool, and the caves, and how narrow the streets are. The rocky beaches with sandy nooks were awesome too, as were the big, main beaches.

Just a lovely place.

BTW, the friends who live there told me Bermuda is insanely strict about appearance. If your car has a little bit of rust on it, you can expect a knock on the door from the authorities telling you to get it fixed. And almost all the roofs have rain-collection systems to run the showers, toilets, etc. Rent is insane - about $4,500/month without a pool or ocean view - but the pay is insane too. Even paying that much in rent, they are easily earning more than enough to save up for a McMansion in Canada when they get back. One weird cultural quirk: everyone there cheats, apparently. It's just expected for men and women to have relationships outside of their marriages.

Bermuda also tries to keep prices significantly higher than the Caribbean to avoid riff-raff tourists like me. The locals aren't all about tourism and tolerate it better when visitors are upper class.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:27 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

nice photos. looking at google earth i am slightly horrified by the proliferation of low density sprawly mansions over the entire island. doesnt appear that there was any large parcels set aside for national park type areas.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 11:19 PM

Looks like a pleasant place to visit!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 12:06 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Lovely town!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden View Post
Nice!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx
Nice pictures! Bermuda seems like its flora is a cross between the coastal South and coastal New England. Makes sense, given the location.
Thanks! I didn't think of it that way at first, but now that you mention it, the comparison does make total sense. Culturally, Bermuda reminded me of a cross between Great Britain and the Caribbean (which makes sense since it is a British dependency).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker
Great pictures!

I stayed with friends there for a week a few years ago. It was spectacular. And I was shocked at how gay friendly it was. We went out clubbing, my then partner and I, with two straight couples (friends). We just assumed we'd keep a low profile, only dance with the girls, etc. No big deal. We got there, and it was like a gay bar. That said, it is a VERY conservative place.

I loved the ferry ride across to that fancy hotel bar with the pool, and the caves, and how narrow the streets are. The rocky beaches with sandy nooks were awesome too, as were the big, main beaches.

Just a lovely place.

BTW, the friends who live there told me Bermuda is insanely strict about appearance. If your car has a little bit of rust on it, you can expect a knock on the door from the authorities telling you to get it fixed. And almost all the roofs have rain-collection systems to run the showers, toilets, etc. Rent is insane - about $4,500/month without a pool or ocean view - but the pay is insane too. Even paying that much in rent, they are easily earning more than enough to save up for a McMansion in Canada when they get back. One weird cultural quirk: everyone there cheats, apparently. It's just expected for men and women to have relationships outside of their marriages.

Bermuda also tries to keep prices significantly higher than the Caribbean to avoid riff-raff tourists like me. The locals aren't all about tourism and tolerate it better when visitors are upper class.
Thanks! It was a very lovely place from my experience, too. I think one of my favorite things about Bermuda was the lack of a touristy atmosphere. No chain restaurants or tourist traps here. The overall cleanliness of the area was outstanding. It was very nice just to walk around the area amongst the locals and eat/drink at the local establishments. For example, I had my first taste of a Dark and Stormy there (ginger beer and dark rum). It is supposed to be the official drink of Bermuda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis
nice photos. looking at google earth i am slightly horrified by the proliferation of low density sprawly mansions over the entire island. doesnt appear that there was any large parcels set aside for national park type areas.
Thanks! I didn't notice any large areas of land set aside for national parks, which may be due to the very small land area of the island chain. That being said, there are some very nice beaches there. Also, the Crystal Caves on the main island are supposed to be very beautiful (although I didn't get a chance to see them during my visit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy
Looks like a pleasant place to visit!
It is! I hope to go back there someday. What's nice is that cruises there sail from Baltimore, which is only a 4 hour drive from where I live in Pittsburgh. It was nice not to have to fly to get to the cruise terminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan
Lovely town!
Very much so! I was surprised at how dense the town is. I guess because Hamilton is apparently a major offshore banking center. I didn't have enough time to see the other major town, St. George's (settled in 1612).

Hobbes: "Pittsburgh?"

Calvin: "You mean if we're good or if we're bad?"

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 4:07 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Beautiful set of a beautiful place. The wife and I spent our honeymoon there. I'd love to go back sometime. btw, the Crystal Caves are interesting. Thanks for the tour.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 7:25 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Definitely not the Hamilton I'm used to. Looks cute.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 1:46 PM
Illustrator, editor

Beautiful city and photos, it's really rare to see West Indian cities on this forum!

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos