HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 12:50 AM

true religion jeans is opening a store in metrotown

calvin klein underwear in metrotown is closed down now - apparently part of the corporate plan to shut down the licensed stores so they can open a corporate store in the area

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Urban barn on Howe is closing. Big sales on now
They're closing on the 31st due to the location being too small. They will re-open a larger store but not for a while. Timing is off due to lease expiration. Currently looking at 4 different locations, I couldn't find out which ones unfortunately.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:48 AM

The new IKEA Richmond will open at 7 am Wed., April 25th.
As reported in Business In Vancouver

http://www.bivinteractive.com/index....news&Itemid=46

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:37 AM

walmasrt supercentre is having a grand opening on friday march 9 at lougheed town centre - well its finally opening after many months of a small expansion and conversion to a super centre

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a Fields store..
There's been one up on Fraser St for aeons but they're usually found in smaller communities as mentioned.

I forgot heavy wool sox when fishing the Squamish River one cold winter morning so drove into town and checked out the Fields there.

I'd never seen a dirtier more disorganised excuse for a store-goods were literally piled on the floor everywhere and Staff didn't give a shit/liked to let customers know they didn't give a shit.

Naturally I've never been back and I'm sure Squamish residents are glad to see the back of them.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 11:39 AM

Plans for Walmart in Richmond to be unveiled

http://www.richmondreview.com/news/141613613.html

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
There's been one up on Fraser St for aeons but they're usually found in smaller communities as mentioned.
They were from a different time. I remember when I was a kid, Kingsgate Mall had a Fields and a block or two away on Main street was the Woolworth. There were several more Fields around the lower mainline together with Woolworth they were the local neighborhood mini-department store. Now Walmart and Zellers has taken over that market.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 4:58 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

There was also a Fields on the NE corner of Hastings and Abbott (now an empty lot which just last week became a parkade) and one also on the NE corner of Kingsway and Knight (now a dollar store).
There was also one in Metrotown by the old food court next to Circuit Circus.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know what is going on at the old KFC at Hastings and Alpha in Burnaby? It's been closed for a few months, and has been undergoing work for the last few weeks. They seem to have pulled down the old KFC signs sometime this week. Given that there are plumbing contractor signs posted on the rent-a-fence, I don't think that they're ripping the building down.
Signs went up last week - it's becoming an A&W.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:01 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Signs went up last week - it's becoming an A&W.
I predict in the future that every restaurant is an A&W.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:25 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Video Link

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Aw, it's not that bad. The closest one near there is in the food court of Brentwood Mall.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 6:38 PM

According to the DVBIA twitter account. An international retailer is close to signing/announcing the take over of the old HMV spot on Robson/Burrard.

I guess that rules out Simons. Perhaps UNIQLO? I don't know who else it can be. Abercombie? I know it isn't Victoria's secret that's for sure.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 7:58 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post

According to the DVBIA twitter account. An international retailer is close to signing/announcing the take over of the old HMV spot on Robson/Burrard.

I guess that rules out Simons. Perhaps UNIQLO? I don't know who else it can be. Abercombie? I know it isn't Victoria's secret that's for sure.
Using purely my powers of guesswork (because I have absolutely no inside information on such matters), I am predicting that Victoria's Secret will be taking the space which is supposedly going to be built in place of the Pacific Centre "igloo" entrance on the Northeast corner of Howe and Georgia.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 8:42 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the space was leased by Abercrombie since they have been trying to find space for years.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 9:52 PM

Seems rather large for Abercrombie unless it's split up.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 10:01 PM
ON3P Skis

I think it was mentioned (or rumoured) a couple months back, but Crate & Barrel and Pottery Barn have both done deals in the expansion of Park Royal Village at 26,000 sf and 12,000 sf respectively. Who knows when Larco will actually start going on construction though, they said Fall 2011, but absolutely nothing has happened (except moving some tenants out).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 1:32 AM

global news reported about the upcoming outlet for the airport area lands and they said the airport will make an announcement in june if its a go or not

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 9:49 PM

another book store chain bites the dust

Book Warehouse to shut doors after 32 years

Book Warehouse, one of Metro Vancouver's largest independent discount book retailers, is closing its four stores.

The decision is being called another blow to B.C.'s independent book store industry, which is facing sharp competition from larger book retailers, Amazon, and e-book sales.

“This is not very good,” said Margaret Reynolds, executive-director of the Association of Book Publishers of B.C. “We keep losing more and more independents.

“Book Warehouse was a general trade bookstore, so it purchased in a wide range of genres [and] had a considerable presence in the city. It was an avenue for literary, general trade and scholarly publishers and offered a wide range of titles.”

Book Warehouse was founded in 1980 and focused on providing bargain books such as overstocks, reprints, slightly damaged books, samples, bankruptcy stock and special imports.

Founder and part-owner Sharman King said their decision to close was not because of economics.

“All our leases are up about the same time and I'm 65 years old,” he said Thursday of his company, which has stores in Vancouver and North Vancouver. “Everything has its time. It's been fun for 32 years. [We said] let's stop it while it's still fun.”

King said partners Tommy Banks and wife Diana King are also getting older and that it was a joint decision to close the stores, which employ 40 people.

If the right buyer came along, he added, they'd consider selling. “We have relationships with people who are in the business of selling businesses. Beyond that, I can't comment.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Book+War...#ixzz1pDzn9pyE

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 2:30 AM
David

Quote:
As someone who loves A&W I'm pretty excited about this! North Burnaby's only A&W is the one in the Brentwood food court, so only open mall hours!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy