HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37TimPPG View Post
Does the Freedom Tower HAVE to be 1776 feet tall? Couldn't they go several hundred feet higher? Say, maybe 300 or 400 feet higher? It would be nice if NYC could regain the crown of tallest skyscraper in the US. I would hate to see that honor go to CS!
Sorry buddy but since the your spire is the only reason the height is going to be at 1,776 feet NYC would have to go a lot higher to match the roof of the spire which will top out at 2000. No BS height on the CS.

On another note i am excited for this project to get going and hope things start to speed up with everything in general.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 9:51 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown12 View Post
Sorry buddy but since the your spire is the only reason the height is going to be at 1,776 feet NYC would have to go a lot higher to match the roof of the spire which will top out at 2000. No BS height on the CS.

On another note i am excited for this project to get going and hope things start to speed up with everything in general.
I wouldn't call it "BS" height. Lets not forget, many early designs of the CS had a spire to get it to 2000".

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 10:50 PM

Freedom tower is 1776' because "1776" symbolizes America's year of The Declaration of Independece. so its a symbolic thing.

Plus, if they actually started vertical, they might get the Country's tallest title, as this tower is actually only around 1350 feet to the roof and the other 400 or so is the spire. Country's tallest until Chicago, once again, takes it from NY with the Chi-Spire, and that's if the guys at ground Zero starts to move their ass more rapidly. CS's site is moving pretty swifty and smoothly.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 11:10 PM
Onkel Dagobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1 View Post
Freedom tower is 1776' because "1776" symbolizes America's year of The Declaration of Independece. so its a symbolic thing.

Plus, if they actually started vertical, they might get the Country's tallest title, as this tower is actually only around 1350 feet to the roof and the other 400 or so is the spire. Country's tallest until Chicago, once again, takes it from NY with the Chi-Spire, and that's if the guys at ground Zero starts to move their ass more rapidly. CS's site is moving pretty swifty and smoothly.
I think the entire attempt to reach 1776 feet with an ultra long spire is pretty lame if not pathetic. If it was 1776 feet to the tip of the roof then it wouldn't really bother me, because we would have a legitimate attempt at constructing a building of considerable hight to make a statement. Instead we have a half hearted attempt to do so.
In addition 1776 feet is 539.9 meters, does number 539.9 mean anything to anyone? I'm asking because if anyone in the rest of the world does ever hear anything about this tower it will most likely be in meters.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 11:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
This is a new rendering of the Freedom Tower lobby:

This is the old rendering of the lobby:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2007/08...eedom_tow.html

Why did they deviate (get rid of) the old one? I like THAT one much better!
That natural lookng wood panel was the center of attention. The new one above looks much too plain and boring.

Yeah, the lobby DOES look kind of lofty with that high ceiling - almost similar to the ones in the Twins.

Last edited by Daquan13; Aug 3, 2007 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
I think the entire attempt to reach 1776 feet with an ultra long spire is pretty lame if not pathetic. If it was 1776 feet to the tip of the roof then it wouldn't really bother me, because we would have a legitimate attempt at constructing a building of considerable hight to make a statement. Instead we have a half hearted attempt to do so.
In addition 1776 feet is 539.9 meters, does number 539.9 mean anything to anyone? I'm asking because if anyone in the rest of the world does ever hear anything about this tower it will most likely be in meters.
Very likely the rest of the world will know about it in meters, but anyway this is supposed to be a symbol for the US not for the rest of the world so it doesn´t matter.

I'm usually against spires becuase for me it is cheating(unless it is really part of the building as in the Petronas or in the Chrysler), but in this case due to the significance of the height the spire will reach and becuase it isn´t just an invisible spire as the NYTT I don´t have any problem with it.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Why did they deviate (get rid of) the old one? I like THAT one much better!
That natural lookng wood panel was the center of attention. The new one above looks much too plain and boring.

Yeah, the lobby DOES look kind of lofty with that high ceiling - alost similar to the ones in the Twins.
look closely. its the exact same thing from the other side. you just cant see the detail of the wood and desk from this view. and the pictures arent shown on the other wall. but yeah. looks the same to me

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 1:05 AM

Quote:

uhh, SO what if it reads 540m to the rest of the world? This tower is in USA. Probably not a lot of people would care for 1776 either way. But its an Amerian tower, so it wouldn't matter. And, its structural height mirrors the old WTC twins, so I guess thats somewhat symbolic.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 1:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCrapper View Post
look closely. its the exact same thing from the other side. you just cant see the detail of the wood and desk from this view. and the pictures arent shown on the other wall. but yeah. looks the same to me

Ok, I think I see it now. So other than the pics on the walls being removed,
everything else is still the same?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 1:37 PM
seamus21514

The thing behind the attendant at the desk would be so cool if it was like a video wall, with like a live view from up top or something.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 2:37 PM
BANNED

And on the long wall across from the front desk, or on the other side of that wall, I think it would have been nice to put a gently-flowing water fountain on a marble slab there.

Like the one featured at the One Eleven Huntington Ave Tower at the Pru Center in Boston.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 4:54 PM

Is it me or do those lobby shots look like the guy is standing at an upscale stainless urinal? How convenient! :^)

As far as nWTC1's height and all, I think the whole site is a great tribute to the folks that lost their lives. I never realized that the two ex-foundation holes will have water flowing down them. I don't think nWTC1 needs to be of any spectacular height. It should be as elaborate as it can be while still being useful and rentable. Bluntly put, Lower Manhattan needs the space back.

It will not be long before we have numerous other supertalls in "The City" being built with roofs that are higher than nWTC1 will be. While those other dvlps (Hudson Yards, MSG, etc.) will be of huge scale each with their own grand scale, it is fairly unlikely that they will be as well planned and as gorgeous as this complex will be when done. So I really cannot complain about it in any way. If they went for 2,000', the cost would eliminate the design. If 2000' in Manhattan was profitable, then they would have designed it that way in order to make it more marketable. /shrug

I work on the 3rd floor and sometimes go across the street to eat on the 16th floor. And really... wtf wants to work on any floor involving a 10 minute elevator commute? I'm no superstar but even I have better things to do in life than that lol. For a residence that height would simply rock, but for a businessman entering and leaving the workplace a few times a day, screeeew that heh.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 5:03 PM
BANNED

I think he's going through one of the turnstyles,. No?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 9:21 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1 View Post
uhh, SO what if it reads 540m to the rest of the world? This tower is in USA. Probably not a lot of people would care for 1776 either way. But its an Amerian tower, so it wouldn't matter. And, its structural height mirrors the old WTC twins, so I guess thats somewhat symbolic.
Every international news story on the FT that I've ever read - from Xinhua to the BBC - reports the height of the tower as "famously 1,776 feet tall." Give the rest of the world SOME credit, guys.

And besides... this is (yawn) SUCH a trite argument, right up there with the all the heartache over the name of the tower

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:

You're in rough territory here. There are those for whom the 1776' height is like catnip, if not crack. Speak agin' it and it's like you're threatening the stash, they turn into Rosemary's Baby......and you're dead meat in the water instead of just somebody with an opinion.

Seriously, I'm one who was disappointed at the decision since "1776" has been done to death (though not in NYC, except for the Broadway musical of the same name) and that NYC and the catastrophe of 9/11 deserved at least a little more imagination and careful thought instead of what's handy/obvious (having nothing to do with my deep sense of what's actually patriotism). But, what do I know....Oh. I know. I thought a Bush presidencywas a b-a-a-a-a-ad idea as far back as 1999, but what can ya do?

Anyway I really wanted you to know that there is a Dagobert St. in Wilkes-Barre, PA.....the rest is old news from me.......

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 10:30 PM

Whats up with this tower, I haven't seen any steel rise, or anything go up, how long is it going to take to have some steel and flooors, so far I looked over this in a year, and wow, the slowest progress ever.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Whats up with this tower, I haven't seen any steel rise, or anything go up, how long is it going to take to have some steel and flooors, so far I looked over this in a year, and wow, the slowest progress ever.
Patience. Patience. Patience

Seriously, In a year you should see this thing really start to soar to the sky. The building is over a 1000 feet tall so it takes a lot of prep work for the foundation and substructure. From what I understand a lot of concrete has been poured this week.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 10:54 PM

^^ but still. this should even be on the highrise construction cuz there not doing shit. the Chicago spire will be starting up but the time this tower goes up. which is a shame

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 4:38 AM
BANNED

Are you reading what everyone has been saying?

This project, though massive and long-awaited, can't be rushed just like that.
We've all complained when the thing seemed to be at a standstill.

Now we must give it some time to get going. We've got no choice but to wait anyway.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 11:19 AM
:-)

I don't know if this has been posted yet:

The Port Authority has a nice video of the construction between December 2006 and May 2007: Click me

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive