HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
Montreal added the population of Calgary Metro in the last 3 decades!!
What on earth are you talking about?
Montreal grew by half a million in the last 4 decades.
Calgary has grown by 1 million in that time frame.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 10:53 PM

i am a huge Montreal loving fan. with that said. if you were to compare their skylines today, imo Calgary's has its number. it looks far denser as far as big skyscrapers are concerned. and it has bigger nicer and more modern skyscrapers as well. most likely the gap will only grow. that is saying lots considering Montreal is much bigger right now than Calgary will grow to be for decades to come. there is something about big oil that brings in the big skyscrapers. they seem to show off their companies more than most others. they are in fact, big showoffs. this is good for Calgary skyscraper fans and bad for Montreal skyscraper fans. also banks don't seem to start up anew very often and big oil companies and gas companies seem do drop strait out of know were from time to time. this always will be followed by a new big skyscraper. and like i said they are showoffs, so this new skyscraper needs to be bigger and better than any that have been built near and before it. yay for Calgary. its skyline is almost guaranteed to grow up and out. is will be improved upon for decades to come. when oil goes up so will the shinny new towers that house the newly acquired employes. i just loved watching the Calgary skyline grow from the time i was a boy. they say that Calgary was a boom bust town but that is very untrue. Calgary has always done much better than most cities. in fact the proof is in the city itself. you cant pick a year in Calgary that the photo wont have a new tower under development in the skyline. i dare you to try and find one. up and down maybe. bust? never happened. i would know i was there working and the work i do depended on the city's economy doing well. and it did do well. that city grew and grew and grew for 30 yrs without taking a breath. it only got better. never worst.

Last edited by whiteford; Jun 29, 2011 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Big 5 banks
Rogers
Manulife
Magna
Barrick
Sun Life
Tim Hortons in Oakville (GTA)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 12:39 AM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by telyou View Post
What on earth are you talking about?
Montreal grew by half a million in the last 4 decades.
Calgary has grown by 1 million in that time frame.
Its a possibility but according to this:http://www.demographia.com/db-cancma.htm,
Montreal metro was at 2.8M in 81 against 3.8M in 2011 = 1 million while Calgary was at 593K in 81 against 1.1M? today for +/-600K.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
there is something about big oil that brings in the big skyscrapers.
Nothing against Calgary, but it's skyline future might not be all that bright when you consider the emerging presence of electric vehicles. It's not a question of if the demand for oil will take a nose dive, but when. Battery and super capacitor performance is advancing rapidly, so the shift to electric vehicles might happen sooner than people think.

My prediction for Calgary is that some of the office space will be converted to residential due to the expected extreme decline in the oil industry.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 1:07 AM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Nothing against Calgary, but it's skyline future might not be all that bright when you consider the emerging presence of electric vehicles. It's not a question of if the demand for oil will take a nose dive, but when. Battery and super capacitor performance is advancing rapidly, so the shift to electric vehicles might happen sooner than people think.

My prediction for Calgary is that some of the office space will be converted to residential due to the expected extreme decline in the oil industry.
Exactly. The oil boom has come and eventually it will pass. Cities such as Calgary and countries such as Qatar and Saudi Arabia will most likeley collapse after the oil boom passes and more sustainable technologies replace it. Perhaps not as dramatically as Detroit, but a collapse of some sort is inevitable.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 2:08 AM

The Fortune 500 are indeed the 500 largest US corporations. Luckily, there are also the Fortune Global 500, which, as you might imagine, are the 500 largest corporations in the world.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_Global_500

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 2:39 AM
gettin' rich!

Omg Toronto is number 8 in the world ahead of Chicago, Los Angeles and Atlanta. Wow!

Thanks for the link sl64 I'm gonna drool over it for a while.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 3:51 AM

I find it interesting that the list of countries with most fortune 500 companies pretty much matches up exactly to the list of country's GDP.

Also, a lot of Calgary oil companies are trying to switch from being Oil & Gas companies to Energy companies. If enough companies can successfully make the switch then not only will Calgary be saved, but will flourish. In fact, I'm studying chemical engineering right now with the intent of being a part of the transition.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 4:26 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Also, a lot of Calgary oil companies are trying to switch from being Oil & Gas companies to Energy companies. If enough companies can successfully make the switch then not only will Calgary be saved, but will flourish.
But when oil and gas dries up Calgary won't have many lasting advantages over other cities. It has some disadvantages in terms of being remote, cold, etc. Companies doing energy research can locate anywhere, including more attractive places like the West Coast or cheaper cities with a roughly equivalent standard of living. Traditionally people have demanded a premium to live in Alberta and that money has come from oil and gas.

I don't necessarily think that Calgary will tank in the future but I won't be surprised if Alberta becomes more of a "new Midwest".

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
But when oil and gas dries up Calgary won't have many lasting advantages over other cities. It has some disadvantages in terms of being remote, cold, etc. Companies doing energy research can locate anywhere, including more attractive places like the West Coast or cheaper cities with a roughly equivalent standard of living. Traditionally people have demanded a premium to live in Alberta and that money has come from oil and gas.

I don't necessarily think that Calgary will tank in the future but I won't be surprised if Alberta becomes more of a "new Midwest".
The advantage that Calgary holds is that it has almost 40 million sq ft of downtown office inventory, low corporate tax rates, and an extremely educated workforce. I currently work for an accounting firm in the city, and the biggest problem that our company is encountering is the inability to retain staff. Oil and gas companies continue to attract the strongest talent not only in our city but across the country.

The energy sector is constantly evolving and I highly doubt that companies like Suncor, Imperial Oil, EnCana, CNRL, and Cenovus will simply roll over and close down the shop when oil runs dry. Based on the knowledge of the oil and gas industry and the established energy sector already based in Calgary, the city will continue to be the energy centre of Canada, whatever that future form of energy will be.

The demand in oil may decrease with the transition to more renewable resources, but oil prices will continue to increase due to scarcity, which will make it viable to continue oil extraction and production in the future. In addition, oil makes up only one half of the biggest industry in Canada. If you can find a more efficient resource to heat Canadian homes in the winter, then I will gladly invest in your energy source. However, I will be using natural gas until that substitute is found.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 11:59 AM

a rendering of the future winnipeg skyline would be cool with the half dozen or so proposed towers going up. cmhc, alt hotel, canadinns hotel, convention center addition, a couple new condos proposed

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 4:46 PM

Quote:

they will always need lots of oil. as much as can be produced.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 4:47 PM

yes Calgary is a nice place to have a head office.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 5:41 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead35 View Post
a rendering of the future winnipeg skyline would be cool with the half dozen or so proposed towers going up. cmhc, alt hotel, canadinns hotel, convention center addition, a couple new condos proposed
Crack open your MS Paint, you can probably do a pretty good job on your own if you get a really big picture and blow it up, and drop the renderings in it at scale.

I've never seen something like this before for Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 1:35 AM

HOLY GEEZUS!!!! the last 3 pages have been war!!!! i shouldn't have said the A- word (Atlanta, of course).. lets get back OT!

And yes, this comment is not helping...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Crack open your MS Paint, you can probably do a pretty good job on your own if you get a really big picture and blow it up, and drop the renderings in it at scale.

I've never seen something like this before for Winnipeg.
I did a few pages ago, a weak attempt at best. hopefully with others trained in the field and with available soft wear, would they be able to create a rendering. maybe a 3D one at different perspectives...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 4:42 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Are you guys seriously having a Montreal vs Atlanta debate? Atlanta is absolutely kicking ass and taking names right now, they added the population of Montreal proper to their Metro in a decade! hardly the backwater that some are making it out to be.
atlanta is one of the least urban cities for its size in the entire world....its downtown is literally 5 streets wide...nobody lives downtown, there are almost no restaurants or amenities....you can shoot cannon balls down the sidewalks without hitting anyone.....regina is more urban.

and atlanta's skyline would be fine for a city 1/3 its size....yeah it stretches out along a single street but there are very few buildings for a city of 5 million....look at it from the air or any other angle and it looks like the city centre of a much smaller metro area.

dont insult any canadian city by comparing it in any way to atlanta.....it is barely a city.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 5:13 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
The energy sector is constantly evolving and I highly doubt that companies like Suncor, Imperial Oil, EnCana, CNRL, and Cenovus will simply roll over and close down the shop when oil runs dry.
Sure. This is roughly the situation a city like Winnipeg is in. It still has people who like to live there, local companies, a supply of local office space, etc. It's not a boom town though, and in retrospect many predictions made during its golden age were overly optimistic.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Some people prefer quantity over quality. I prefer quality myself, which Montreal definitely has a great deal more than Atlanta.

American cities like Atlanta, Phoenix, Houston etc., are big cities but they are sprawling like crazy. Population density is what gives a city character, and most U.S. don't have the densities required. Even Victoria at 400 000 people has more character than Atlanta or Phoenix which have around 5 million people.
Don't mean to nitpick, but I'm thinking Victoria's CMA will be closer to 350,000 than 400,000 once the next Census numbers roll in (330,000ish from the previous Census). Though I wish the latter. Density wise, Victoria still does well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada