HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 11:28 PM

What are the chances Seattle is selected as a host? They are probably the best soccer fans in the USA, just looking at the support they provide to their MLS team. Having said that, will that impact the chances of BC being a host, as they are so close. Their stadium too I would suspect would be grass as well, with 70k in attendance.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 12:19 AM

Almost guaranteed Seattle gets some games, I think. It's the hotbed of American soccer and the only American city for quite a large area that can host.

The proximity makes me think they might try to hold one group in Seattle/Vancouver, but that would be a logistical nightmare. Either way, i can't see it affecting Vancouver's ​chances. I think it would actually be a huge bonus for the Cup: there would be tons of people who would spend time in both cities.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 12:50 AM

@blueandgoldguy has already gone into great detail on this but I'll just repeat his point that there's no way FIFA would allow WC matches to take place Olympic Stadium unless it undergoes massive renovations (which would be a colossal waste of money). At this point, it's fit for monster truck competitions and that's about it.

The other question would be whether BMO Stadium could be made large enough to host games. I'm sure that FIFA has very strict minimum seating capacities (depending on the round) that must be met.

FIFA, UEFA etc. are all about stadiums.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 12:53 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
@blueandgoldguy has already gone into great detail on this but I'll just repeat his point that there's no way FIFA would allow WC matches to take place Olympic Stadium unless it undergoes massive renovations (which would be a colossal waste of money). At this point, it's fit for monster truck competitions and that's about it.

The other question would be whether BMO Stadium could be made large enough to host games. I'm sure that FIFA has very strict minimum seating capacities (depending on the round) that must be met.

The north end of BMO is an obvious choice for a reno, other than that, I could see the southstand getting a permanent upperdeck, with proper corners to create a bowl. The westend deck would be the biggest challenge to renovate. (would need to be demolished? - don't see that happening, even for world cup)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 1:00 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Again... people aren't paying attention.

The Big O is already slated for massive renovations. World Cup or not.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 1:17 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Again... people aren't paying attention.

The Big O is already slated for massive renovations. World Cup or not.
What sort of renovations have been confirmed by government? The last I heard they wanted to convert the tower to an office building and some sprucing up of the area around the stadium, havent heard anything about a new retractable or removed roof.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 1:31 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
What sort of renovations have been confirmed by government? The last I heard they wanted to convert the tower to an office building and some sprucing up of the area around the stadium, havent heard anything about a new retractable or removed roof.
Here is an example. They are talking about a brand-new looking complex for 2031. I suppose they could bump that up by five years for a World Cup if they had to.

http://affaires.lapresse.ca/economie...-en-20-ans.php

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 1:48 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Here is an example. They are talking about a brand-new looking complex for 2031. I suppose they could bump that up by five years for a World Cup if they had to.

http://affaires.lapresse.ca/economie...-en-20-ans.php
So $350mil left to complete renovations (including $150mil to fix the roof). Not bad at all. So a sub-1 billion world cup in all probability, probably lowest cost hosting gig in living memory.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 3:17 AM

Quote:

Yes, too bad in a way as Montreal would not be able to host unless massive renovations were to take place, yet good considering the amounts of money that would have to be pumped into the structure all for the sake of a few soccer matches.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 5:01 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Montreal will only be able to host matches if they install grass at Olympic Stadium (this will be non-negotiable with FIFA) and they install new seating at a minimum as the seats in there are 40 years old. It will probably require a more extensive renovation than that but what kind of ROI is there in spending $300 - $500 million for a reno for 4 World Cup matches? If the Expos return, Olympic Stadium will be nothing more than a temporary home. I also noticed the major concerts that require greater seating in Montreal than the Bell Centre are now being held at Parc Drapeau so that is one less use for the big o.
This is the easiest thing to do. They already did that once when AC Milan came to play the Impact in 2010.

Quote:
"Playing host to a prestigious club like AC Milan meant we had to go ahead and install a natural grass field," explained Impact executive vice president Richard Legendre. "The installation work is going well and could be finished by this evening. Following completion, we will treat the grass so that it’s uniform and compact. »

The grass surface, measuring 95,000 square feet (8,826 square metres), comes from Bastien Sod Farms in Terrebonne, Quebec. The strips of sod are 8 cm thick and are applied on a 10 cm layer of sand. A total of 65 truckloads of sand were necessary for the job.

Following the game, the grass surface will be relocated to the Impact’s training field on the grounds of Saputo Stadium.
https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/po...lympic-stadium

http://www.pressreader.com/canada/mo...95274707602733

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 11:52 AM

If they do get a few WC games - let's hope they know how to mark the field out correctly this time

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 2:50 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:

FIFA also has had a 'strict' policy against co-hosted World Cups, instituted immediately after the 2002 Japan/South Korea event. Apparently that is no longer the case.

Quote:
FIFA, UEFA etc. are all about stadiums money .
FTFY

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 8:01 PM
The New Republic

5 Canadians on Team World at the 2017 Nike Hoops Classic in Portland, an all time high.

2019 #1 prospect RJ Barrett (right) was the youngest participant at 16

Courtesy of NikeNews

World Team Roster

Canada: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (6’5”, Hamilton Heights Christian Academy) G
Canada: Lindell Wigginton (6’1”, Oak Hill Academy) G
Canada: Nickeil Alexander-Walker (6’5”, Hamilton Heights Christian Academy) G
Canada: RJ Barrett (6’6”, Montverde Academy) G/F
Canada: Luguentz Dort (6'4", Conrad Academy) G

Australia: Angus Glover (6’4”, Illawara Hawks) G
Lithuania: Tadas Sedekerskis (6’7”, Baskonia Vitoria Gasteiz) F
Germany: Kostja Mushidi (6’5”, BC Mega Leks) F
Serbia: Borisa Simanic (6’11”, Crvena Zvezda) F
Germany: Isaiah Hartenstein (6’11”, Zalgiris Kaunas) F
Brazil: Felipe Dos Anjos (7’2”, Oviedo) C
Jamaica: Nick Richards (6’11”, The Patrick School) C
Nigeria: Ikechukwu Obiagu (7’0”, Greenforest Christian Academy) C

Last edited by isaidso; Apr 11, 2017 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 8:14 PM
The New Republic

24 front office NBA scouts showed up at the 2017 Biosteel All-Canadian Basketball Game yesterday at the University of Toronto's Goldring Centre for High Performance Sports. It's become a must for scouts with the level of talent continuing to surge. The event sold out weeks ago.

Dort was a lot of fun to watch, Iggy solid as usual, and Maker might be fantastic if he keeps improving. Was looking forward to seeing Wigginton and Barrett play but there was a great display of talent regardless. Final score: Team Red 153, Team White 133. Wigginton has a good shot at becoming the first Nova Scotian drafted in the NBA.

2017 All-Canadian Roster

Manitoba: Emmanuel Akot (Wasatch Academy)
Ontario: Nickeil Alexander-Walker (Hamilton Heights Christian Academy)
Ontario: Jahvon Blair (Athlete Institute Prep)
Ontario: Ignas Brazdeikis (Orangeville Prep)
Ontario: O’Shae Brissett (Athlete Institute Prep)
Ontario: Marcus Carr (Montverde Academy)
Quebec: Christian David (Vermont Academy)
Quebec: Jerome Desrosiers (Northfield Mount Hermon)
Ontario: Danilo Djuricic (St. Michael’s College School)
Quebec: Luguentz Dort (Arlington Country Day)
Quebec: Quincy Guerrier (Thetford Academy)
Ontario: Abu Kigab (Prolific Prep)
Ontario: Noah Kirkwood (Ashbury College)
Ontario: Jaelin Llewellyn (Virginia Episcopal)
Quebec: Anthony Longpre (Glenelg Country School)
Australia: Matur Maker (The Tech Academy)
Ontario: Andrew Nembhard (Montverde Academy)
Ontario: Keshaun Saunders (Orangeville Prep)
Manitoba: Daniel Sackey (22 Feet Academy)
British Columbia: Grant Shephard (Montverde Academy)
Ontario: Simisola Shittu (Vermont Academy)
Ontario: Stefan Smith (Bill Crothers)
Ontario: Josip Vrankic (Wasatch Academy)
New York: Howard Washington (Athlete Institute Prep)

Quebec: Junior Farquhar (selected but is unable to participate due to injury)
Ontario: Shai Alexander (selected but unable to participate due to schedule conflicts or academic obligations)
Nova Scotia: Lindell Wigginton (selected but unable to participate due to schedule conflicts or academic obligations)
Ontario: RJ Barrett (selected but unable to participate due to schedule conflicts or academic obligations)

Last edited by isaidso; Apr 11, 2017 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 12:51 AM

@Acajack - Gotcha on the reno of Olympic Stadium. Investing anything in the Big O must be a serious political hot potato, however. But then Saputo's not much of a stadium, really, so you're kinda stuck pumping millions into Olympic.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:27 PM

www.SaskRush.com

..Now that I have your attention

SaskRush Lacrosse regular season comes to an end this month, impressive attendance numbers.. higher than 1/5 of the NHL hockey teams attendance/game this season.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:23 PM

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/ne...D=0&page=99755

Quote:
The wait is finally over. Canada are cup champions on the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series.

Canada claimed its first ever cup title Sunday as they defeated the USA 26-19 in the Singapore Sevens cup title. Nathan Hirayama was named Player of the Final.

Earlier in the day, Canada had beaten New Zealand in the cup quarters and England in the cup semis.

It was the second ever cup final for Canada whose first cup final appearance came in the 2014 Glasgow Sevens, a loss to New Zealand.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Good job lads!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 6:51 PM
Rational urbanist

Now if only the 15s program could at least halt its rapid spiral into irrelevance...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:47 AM

^I wish we took rugby a little more seriously in this country. To me, it's a vastly superior sport to Canadian/ American football. Starting a pro league that draws 20,000/ game is not likely to ever happen, however, so there you go - we're kinda stuck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada