HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 6:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Spring Garden Road is quite the hot spot.
Once the library is completed it will give this street a big jolt of walking traffic.
I love making the downtown busier!
What I like is how some long-standing issues are finally being fixed. The empty Queen Street corner and Clyde Street dead zone have been around for decades, holding the street back. They were a major problem and the fact that they're finally being dealt with gives me a lot of hope for further improvements.

There's a very important relationship between density and amenities when it comes to determining the "critical mass" of a neighbourhood. When you hit the point where you can have stuff like Pete's, which requires a certain level of residential market, the neighbourhood becomes way more appealing. Government-owned empty lots stack the deck against urban neighbourhoods because they cut down on density without adding anything beyond what would be available in an actual development.

I think similar residential infill would do wonders for the downtown area and Barrington, and would even increase demand for residential. Right now the old downtown is on the wrong side of the feedback loop, where it just doesn't have enough stuff to make it a good place to locate, so nobody moves in. It does seem to be improving a bit but if a dozen or so condo towers moved in the difference would be like night and day.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 9:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
What I like is how some long-standing issues are finally being fixed. The empty Queen Street corner and Clyde Street dead zone have been around for decades, holding the street back. They were a major problem and the fact that they're finally being dealt with gives me a lot of hope for further improvements.

There's a very important relationship between density and amenities when it comes to determining the "critical mass" of a neighbourhood. When you hit the point where you can have stuff like Pete's, which requires a certain level of residential market, the neighbourhood becomes way more appealing. Government-owned empty lots stack the deck against urban neighbourhoods because they cut down on density without adding anything beyond what would be available in an actual development.

I think similar residential infill would do wonders for the downtown area and Barrington, and would even increase demand for residential. Right now the old downtown is on the wrong side of the feedback loop, where it just doesn't have enough stuff to make it a good place to locate, so nobody moves in. It does seem to be improving a bit but if a dozen or so condo towers moved in the difference would be like night and day.
To add to what you've been saying, the site of the former Halifax Infirmary is next to be placed on the market for purchase. I am hopeful for more residential.

I haven't read anything relating to the outcome of Gerard Hall, however.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:21 PM

Quote:

I agree - it's good to know that even with the removal of the parking lots, the parking issue (which businesses believe is an issue, but isn't really) will still be okay after development comes along.

The downtown is slowly moving up in critical mass I think - it will be telling in 10 years time when the Roy and Discovery Buildings get built how much busier downtown will be. Also once you add in the Brewery Tower, the waterfront developments - when they all get built there will be way more people downtown.

The one thing I've always had a concern with is the issue of governments holding onto key downtown parcels and never doing anything with them. This process for the 'sister lots' (although a bit corny in terms of their advertising) shows that there is interest and the Governments who own the land will make good $ selling the land off. Without having seen the RFP, the only concern I'd have is the start date of the projects. I just hope it's not one of these cases where an approval is issued and then nothing happens (like Twisted).

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 8:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I don't know the exact terms but my impression is that there are more "strings" attached to Clyde Street, including time limits for development, whereas the TexPark site was just a land sale. The city also did a better job of specifying what would be appropriate for the site beforehand. It is crazy that council sold the TexPark lot and then some of them turned around and voted against the purchaser's development. Those should not have been separate steps.

My worry about projects like the Discovery Centre tower or Roy Building or, even worse, Skye, is that they all seem elaborate and far-off. Plus they're all basically in ground zero as far as the Heritage Trust et al. are concerned. The end result is that the chance of success of the average project downtown is very low.

The Brewery tower is a great project in a great location but it took years and years of fighting to get approval. I hope it isn't dead..

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 9:20 PM

Quote:
I don't know the exact terms but my impression is that there are more "strings" attached to Clyde Street, including time limits for development, whereas the TexPark site was just a land sale. The city also did a better job of specifying what would be appropriate for the site beforehand. It is crazy that council sold the TexPark lot and then some of them turned around and voted against the purchaser's development. Those should not have been separate steps.

My worry about projects like the Discovery Centre tower or Roy Building or, even worse, Skye, is that they all seem elaborate and far-off. Plus they're all basically in ground zero as far as the Heritage Trust et al. are concerned. The end result is that the chance of success of the average project downtown is very low.

The Brewery tower is a great project in a great location but it took years and years of fighting to get approval. I hope it isn't dead..
Well I think Skye is a joke frankly (see my rant in that thread) and is nothing more than a blatent attempt to force the value of the site up to sell for more down the road. If they had sold that with more detail on an expected outcome for the development and timeline I suspect Skye would never have shown up and twisted would've been well underway by now. Yes, it's sad that some of council went ahead and voted against it too - although I suspect that if it had been done the same way as this, you might still have some people vote against the sale, simply because they wouldn't have liked the planned outcome.

Discovery and Roy are unique situations because they are timed. They will expire - so if the people who have the approvals don't get off their rears and build them within the time that was approved - it reverts back to what is under HbD. I suspect you'll see those two start moving forward pretty soon, or it will be a mad rush to avoid the deadline. Since there were no appeals to them, they can proceed, they may even be in the permitting process stage now. Would be something to bring up at Jono's event this week - if the developers are there.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 9:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Both Roy and Discovery have dependencies. Roy is only going to happen after Espace and after its leases run out. The Coast recently had an article about Reflections moving to Gottingen as well, so there seems to be progress but construction still can't happen for a while.

Hopefully they will go with apartments to speed things up. My big worry is that we'll get Waterside II and III if they go with office or condo, immediately eviscerate the heritage buildings, and then wait around for tenants or buyers. The vacancies in the Roy Building have already been a pretty big blow to Barrington, sadly. Hopefully it will pay off in the end.

Some councillors would have voted against the TexPark sale but at least with one vote there wouldn't have been the potential for the ridiculous outcome of the city selling a lot then telling the buyer they can't build on it. The city as a seller is unique and the only fair process is for them to deal with their requirements ahead of time and make it clear to buyers what can be done with the land. No doubt a huge impediment to development in Halifax in the past has simply been that it's such a moving target -- a proposal that takes time and money to develop can be well-received at one point and then torpedoed when fashions in council change a little.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Both Roy and Discovery have dependencies. Roy is only going to happen after Espace and after its leases run out. The Coast recently had an article about Reflections moving to Gottingen as well, so there seems to be progress but construction still can't happen for a while.

Hopefully they will go with apartments to speed things up. My big worry is that we'll get Waterside II and III if they go with office or condo, immediately eviscerate the heritage buildings, and then wait around for tenants or buyers. The vacancies in the Roy Building have already been a pretty big blow to Barrington, sadly. Hopefully it will pay off in the end.

Some councillors would have voted against the TexPark sale but at least with one vote there wouldn't have been the potential for the ridiculous outcome of the city selling a lot then telling the buyer they can't build on it. The city as a seller is unique and the only fair process is for them to deal with their requirements ahead of time and make it clear to buyers what can be done with the land. No doubt a huge impediment to development in Halifax in the past has simply been that it's such a moving target -- a proposal that takes time and money to develop can be well-received at one point and then torpedoed when fashions in council change a little.
Reflections moving to Gottingen Street? Well that doesn't surprise me...over the past few years there has been a good cluster of gay bars showing up on Gottingen Street. While I was home I went to a drag show at Men's bar, it was good to see some old friends.

I can't see how the people at Discovery won't push to have the project go ahead within the timeline. I know some friends who work for Reflections - I'll see what they are hearing about timelines.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 4:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Reflections moving to Gottingen Street? Well that doesn't surprise me...over the past few years there has been a good cluster of gay bars showing up on Gottingen Street.
It surprises me. Reflections' current location puts it in the heart of downtown. A move to Gottingen means a move away from the majority of the nightlife. Reflections benefits greatly from its no labels status, simply because it broadens its market. This proposed move would mean Reflections would only hold on to its gay following. All the rest will remain in the heart of downtown, where most of the clubs and bars are.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 4:48 AM

Quote:
It surprises me. Reflections' current location puts it in the heart of downtown. A move to Gottingen means a move away from the majority of the nightlife. Reflections benefits greatly from its no labels status, simply because it broadens its market. This proposed move would mean Reflections would only hold on to its gay following. All the rest will remain in the heart of downtown, where most of the clubs and bars are.
Actually you would be surprised. I thought that was going to the be the case when one of the new (back then) bars opened up on Gottingen Street. It was in one of the buildings recently torn down. But the people came, lots of people and the club was popular for a good few years. But because the owner was greedy and lost some good staff and DJ's it went down hill.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 5:08 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Apparently they're looking at moving into the site of the old Marquee, which at one point was quite busy despite not being a gay bar.

If we see more growth downtown I predict that Gottingen will become like a new Barrington (boutique and more offbeat stuff that tends to go for lower rent) and Barrington itself will go a bit more upscale. If lots of residential goes in there will also be a new market for stuff like urban format grocery stores.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 5:03 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There was an article tonight about people having troubles with the new parking meters on these two sites. Fairly boring, but it makes me wonder when they'll be starting construction. I guess they still need to go through the HbD approval process.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 1:04 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
There was an article tonight about people having troubles with the new parking meters on these two sites. Fairly boring, but it makes me wonder when they'll be starting construction. I guess they still need to go through the HbD approval process.
Yeah I had the same thought... given Fares' comment about needing to recoup the $200k in automated meters, it makes you wonder how long they expect to operate that.

The other interesting and likely true, but frustrating, comment was at the end of that article, where they said about how the issue isn't parking persay since there are always spots available in those lots, but rather that people still have the mindset that they want to be able to park immediately in front of their destination so that they don't have to walk.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 6:01 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I prefer on-street parking, but it's not practical for busy areas. For the busiest areas driving is not practical either. I would not want to drive in Manhattan for example and I even avoid it in downtown Vancouver.

I can see this being an issue where there's a lot of selection bias and a "squeaky wheel" effect. First you start by hearing a couple of complaints, then you ask the minority who drive and park around Spring Garden Road, then you declare that it is a top issue. People who do not drive and the people who will eventually live on these lots do not factor into the equation.

On balance I find it hard to believe that whatever harm caused by moving those spots underground will be greater than the increased spending and tax dollars that will come from 500-1000 new residents on Clyde Street.

Some particular businesses might not do as well but it's really up to them that finds a location that works. It's not realistic for them to expect the city to contort a 3-block radius into an ersatz strip mall. Sadly this is a very small town attitude that Halifax has not yet grown out of -- which is why the city is frequently paralyzed by indecision. "OMG! Bob's not happy! ABORT! Switch to Plan B! OMG, now Frank is not happy! OK! Meeting adjourned until 2013!"

At least these sites are finally being developed. The streetscape improvements also need to be pushed through.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
... The Coast recently had an article about Reflections moving to Gottingen as well, so there seems to be progress but construction still can't happen for a while...
The cabaret license was denied for the former Marquee/Paramount space, so Reflections is no longer considering the move to that building.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 1:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
The cabaret license was denied for the former Marquee/Paramount space, so Reflections is no longer considering the move to that building.
If the city was educated on the tourist aspect of Halifax's nightlife then it would have immediately said yes.

No more late-night gay club means fewer gays from every municipality in the Maritimes spending weekends in Halifax. It is far less appealing to drive all the way to Halifax to party, when the bars stay open no later than in New Brunswick (2am).

Less business for hotels, and the restaurants, and the retail stores, the cinemas and theatres, etc, etc, etc...

Stupid Halifax.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 7:54 PM

Quote:
If the city was educated on the tourist aspect of Halifax's nightlife then it would have immediately said yes.

No more late-night gay club means fewer gays from every municipality in the Maritimes spending weekends in Halifax. It is far less appealing to drive all the way to Halifax to party, when the bars stay open no later than in New Brunswick (2am).

Less business for hotels, and the restaurants, and the retail stores, the cinemas and theatres, etc, etc, etc...

Stupid Halifax.
I don't think Halifax gets THAT much gay tourism for it too really make a difference in the overall tourist numbers.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
I don't think Halifax gets THAT much gay tourism for it too really make a difference in the overall tourist numbers.
You'd be surprised how many out-of-towners are at Reflections any given Friday or Saturday.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding? The numbers for pride each year keep going up and up and up. We're the biggest attended pride festival east of Montreal.

I'm hearing numbers in the 75 to 100,000 range. Granted that may have been because of other events downtown (and people were already there), but the tourism aspect is being better and better marketed. The Halifax pride website barely had any information for tourism before - now it has every hotel, deals with AC/WJ for air fare and I think even via rail provides deals for pride.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Are you kidding? The numbers for pride each year keep going up and up and up. We're the biggest attended pride festival east of Montreal.

I'm hearing numbers in the 75 to 100,000 range. Granted that may have been because of other events downtown (and people were already there), but the tourism aspect is being better and better marketed. The Halifax pride website barely had any information for tourism before - now it has every hotel, deals with AC/WJ for air fare and I think even via rail provides deals for pride.
One major event doesn't really prove your point, and I don't think one bar would really make any difference.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
One major event doesn't really prove your point, and I don't think one bar would really make any difference.
I've heard that Halifax has the fourth largest gay community in Canada. I don't know what kind of statistics would back that up (whether it's pure demographics or if it's based on things like Pride Week and gay-oriented businesses), but I've been to 8/10 provinces and "gay culture" seems to be a lot more mainstream in Halifax than in most of Canada. Also there are cruise ships that come here every year that are geared specifically to gay and lesbian tourists.

In my experience, young people from around the Maritimes, Newfoundland, and New England have been attracted by the "live and let live" attitude that is prevalent here and exemplified by the popularity of Reflections and Pride Week within the general public. Halifax is more of a social melting pot than cities like Toronto and Montreal which have very obvious gay villages and ethnic neighbourhoods, and more diverse than cities like Moncton and Saint John which is where a lot of these kids are moving from.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth