HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 4:27 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There was an article in ANS tonight about Clyde Street. Apparently it still does not have HRM by Design approval, but the plan is to begin construction this spring or summer. As before, they'd like to put in an NSLC on the ground floor of the Queen Street building, which would be started first. Potentially both buildings could be under construction at the same time.

It will be great when these ugly parking lots are finally gone. Queen Street is also a much better spot for the NSLC.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 7:53 AM
BANNED

Crane for City Centre Atlantic...crane for the library...crane for Clyde Street...crane for Fenwick...

That'd be an interesting picture to take.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 5:58 PM
we built this city

This area will definitely be much more coherent. Its sort of a nightmare at the moment, but the Trillium was a significant step... now we have another modern project in the library on the way and the wheels in motion for the clyde lots. I'd also speculate that Dal will do something with the lot south of the library in the next 5 years or so.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I'd also speculate that Dal will do something with the lot south of the library in the next 5 years or so.
They show something on that lot in their master plan. It dosen't look like a huge project, but if you look closely, they do call it "Gerard Hall," so maybe its more of a plan than just a conceptual addition.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 10:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I vaguely recall reading about how development of that corner is a few years off (maybe 5-10). I think the IDEA building is supposed to be started relatively soon.

As the map shows, the Dal site is only a roughly square-shaped lot at the corner of Morris and Queen. There will also be a park site and one of the Sister sites behind the library. Not sure when they plan to complete the park landscaping.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 11:14 PM
BANNED

So the "HRM Development Site" on that map is one of the three sister sites? And the city is actually moving to develop it?

When I first saw that section on the map I thought "allright, surface parking for 20 years." If all these projects do get developed, Halifax could have a new highly attractive area in Queen street by the end of the decade.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 11:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yep. The plan is to sell it off next year. I doubt they will have trouble finding a developer -- the second site was actually snapped up earlier than expected, when they were only officially selling the first site.

I expect that Queen Street will be pretty nice in a few years, and a more important street than it is now. Clyde will also be semi-commercial, with the Trillium and two new developments. There will probably be a new NSLC at Queen and Clyde and then potentially more retail space mid-block on the third site.

Over the next 10 years or so I could see Queen evolving into a major pedestrian street connecting Spring Garden Road to the Fenwick area. The Fenwick development will bring in lots of new residents and the Sobeys may be redeveloped as well. It will be an interesting process to watch!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 1:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yep. The plan is to sell it off next year. I doubt they will have trouble finding a developer -- the second site was actually snapped up earlier than expected, when they were only officially selling the first site.

I expect that Queen Street will be pretty nice in a few years, and a more important street than it is now. Clyde will also be semi-commercial, with the Trillium and two new developments. There will probably be a new NSLC at Queen and Clyde and then potentially more retail space mid-block on the third site.

Over the next 10 years or so I could see Queen evolving into a major pedestrian street connecting Spring Garden Road to the Fenwick area. The Fenwick development will bring in lots of new residents and the Sobeys may be redeveloped as well. It will be an interesting process to watch!
In adding to this optimism, I would like to see the older low-density residential buildings on Queen Street redeveloped, particularly the adjacent buildings south of Gerard Hall.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 8:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The developers plan to file an HbD application this week, so hopefully we'll get some new renderings in a few days.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 7:41 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There were a few details about this tonight in an ANS article about the NSLC.

The article made it sound as though the HRM by Design application has been filed and as though construction could still start in the summer. I wonder when we will see new renderings?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 7:59 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:

Something should definitely be done about that big, ugly Sobeys parking lot. It really detracts from an otherwise beautiful area.

Even if they had just hidden it behind the store like they did with the Quinpool Superstore/Cantire it wouldn't have been too bad.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 12:54 PM

It's weird, they cleared out the parking lot that was the Rosina site when they were clearing for the library. Will it remain barren or has something happened that we didn't notice?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 1:53 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
It's weird, they cleared out the parking lot that was the Rosina site when they were clearing for the library. Will it remain barren or has something happened that we didn't notice?
I wonder if they are just using that as a staging ground.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 6:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
There were a few details about this tonight in an ANS article about the NSLC.

The article made it sound as though the HRM by Design application has been filed and as though construction could still start in the summer. I wonder when we will see new renderings?
For the average development in Halifax, how early are renderings usually produced before construction? I get the sense that this window of time between the two has shrunk, in part due to shipbuilding and in part due to HRMbyDesign, possibly. As long as the developments are short enough, I'm under the impression many wouldn't care about renderings at all.

I also need to admit there is a small part of me that is hoping some of these proposals, certainly The Sister Sites, fight for more height considering the city's political environment at present. The Sister Sites may be a poor example since these potential buildings are far enough along in their stages of planning; that aside, it'd be nice if these future buildings could be treated the same as those along South Park Street. They will be shorter because of view planes, not out of concern for Spring Garden Road from which they are setback.

It would do wonders for the optics of Spring Garden, as wonders would be done for feeding retail with more consumers, if the coming height of residential would be consistent with what we see with Spring Garden Place/Universal Properties in between Brenton Street and Dresden Row...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=halifa...6.99,,0,-10.74

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 6:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

My understanding for the Sister Sites is that they did conditional sales and building within the HRM by Design building envelope within a certain time frame was one of the conditions. That means there will be no fighting for more height. I think that arrangement is much better than the United Gulf situation. Because the city owned the land and private developers bid knowing what the conditions were the whole thing is fair.

The renderings and plans have to be submitted to the city but sometimes they appear on the HRM website and sometimes they do not. Many of the links given for site plan approvals are not even HRM pages and do not have the plans.

Another difference I've noticed is that it tends to be easier to get condo and office building information ahead of time, and apartment plans are more difficult. I guess the condos and offices have to be marketed whereas the apartments just fill up regardless of whether or not they share renderings...?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 7:32 PM

The only files you will find on the HRM website are typically those requiring a development agreement. Other times you may find variance appeals (in community council agendas) or in the case of things covered by HbD - reports to the design review committee, which is when you get to see some renderings.

But considering that they have 90 days to make a decision once the application is complete; there is really no time to be able to put up a website nor do I see a need.

There won't be any debate on height partially as as someone123 mentioned and considering this site (and the others sisters sites) are painted in viewplanes. You won't get more height unless the viewplanes are drastically altered.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:29 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a new rendering:

Source

According to ANS the buildings are being considered under HbD and the developers are still aiming for a summer construction start. Hopefully we will soon see more details up on the HRM website.

By the way, this one also appears to have coloured balconies.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:55 AM
Honored Member

Looks great. According to the allnovascotia.com story by Andrew MacDonald (First Clyde Street Development Unveiled, April 12, 2012 edition) the first 9 storey tower would have 135 residential units (plus commercial space) and the second 9 storey tower could possibly have 170 residential units. The second tower might start six months after excavation of the first lot. There would also be a total of 520 underground parking spaces for the two lots.

This is a significant development that will increase the vibrancy of Spring Garden Road and hopefully spread over into the downtown core.

PS: The first tower would be at Clyde and Queen Street (right across Queen Street from the new Central Library)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 3:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
By the way, this one also appears to have coloured balconies.
Love it!!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 3:52 AM
we built this city

Looks great for the height and its modernity doesn't seem too much of a contrast to the area. It will look nice with the library there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth