HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 7:58 PM

It's also worth noting that the NHL determines ticket prices for playoffs, using its own market research and data from each home team to set them at what it feels the market can handle. All advertising in playoffs goes through NHL as well.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 8:04 PM

So anyway, my point is that not everyone can or will buy Jets playoff tickets. To some of those who aren't, suddenly three or four hundred dollars for a season of football won't seem like all that much.

Of course, whether that crowd will offset the inevitable lost business from those who spent their entertainment budget on Jets playoff tickets, I can't say.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 9:03 PM

This is obviously just anecdotal, but I feel like lots of people who may have decided to enjoy this Jets run and go out to watch games or get tickets may sooner take one less trip down to the states or out of town this year. Not bad for us – this is typically a popular time for shopping trips to Minni.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 9:09 PM

^Yup. My bathroom renovations are on hold for a couple months ahaha Also no time for that. Hockey.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Winnipeg is getting a pro soccer team of some sort. They will play out of IGF.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4209973/w...h-local-youth/
It's too bad the bleachers at the Waverly Soccer Complex couldn't be torn down and the construction of a 5 - 7,000 seat soccer stadium take place, with room for some expansion. A CPL team playing in IGF will have a terrible atmosphere with around 5,000 or less in the lower bowl of the stadium. The experience is everything when enticing people to sporting events nowadays and a stadium at 20% capacity is not exactly ideal. I guess we will see what they have in-store for entertainment at these games next year.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:25 PM

The concert industry in this town has suffered a bit since the Jet came back. Fewer big concerts in general and some of those that have come in recent years are selling fewer tickets then before. Take a look at Poll Stars numbers for the top 200 arenas for the first six or seven years of the MTS Centre's existence vs. the last 3 or 4 years. While concert tours seem to have become more numerous with each passing decade, the number of tickets sold at MTS Centre have declined from a 10 years ago. No doubt, the Jets have played a role in this decline.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
It's too bad the bleachers at the Waverly Soccer Complex couldn't be torn down and the construction of a 5 - 7,000 seat soccer stadium take place, with room for some expansion. A CPL team playing in IGF will have a terrible atmosphere with around 5,000 or less in the lower bowl of the stadium. The experience is everything when enticing people to sporting events nowadays and a stadium at 20% capacity is not exactly ideal. I guess we will see what they have in-store for entertainment at these games next year.
Almost like they should have built IGF at Polo Park and refurbished University Stadium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The concert industry in this town has suffered a bit since the Jet came back. Fewer big concerts in general and some of those that have come in recent years are selling fewer tickets then before. Take a look at Poll Stars numbers for the top 200 arenas for the first six or seven years of the MTS Centre's existence vs. the last 3 or 4 years. While concert tours seem to have become more numerous with each passing decade, the number of tickets sold at MTS Centre have declined from a 10 years ago. No doubt, the Jets have played a role in this decline.
True North must have paid a pretty penny and had someone owe them a favour to be one of the only 2 Canadian stops on the Beyonce/Jay-Z tour a few years ago. The revenues from that show were by far the lowest of any on the tour (by millions), and it's not Beyonce and Jay-Z giving up money to come here. They didn't stop in Minnesota.
Don't really think that's much of a factor – the numbers and logistics don't look good from the artist's perspective these days. The biggest factor is the dollar, coupled with location – and that artists are actually shifting to more of a festival focus where you don't have any of the burdens of an arena tour. Also with the diversification of the music industry, more people, especially young ones, are listening to smaller independent artists that would never play an arena. Personally I hate arena concerts, no atmosphere.

Winnipeg is in an extremely difficult location for touring artists. Most tours go in a U shape – start in Vancouver/PNW and go down the west coast, across the southern states, and up the east coast – or vice versa. Winnipeg adds a lot of time and logistical issues to stop in for most artists, and the dollar isn't making it easier. Generally a stop here requires a day off on either side, which can be a lot of lost money. Because tickets here can't fetch a price like a major city with millions of people, the business case is often weak. Minnesota tends to get left out of tours sometimes as well when artists are on a tight schedule.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 3:03 PM

I do not think it is really fair to compare the inflated single-game Jets playoff ticket prices v the discounted season ticket price for the Bombers. The discounts Jets playoff price, which is what most people are paying v the discounted season ticket price for the Bombers is a much fairer comparison.

In terms of the soccer team at IGF it would be similar to the Bisons in terms of atmosphere. IGF also of course hosts the Rifles and a range of armature football.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 7:30 PM

One of the other reasons of less concerts at Bell Mts Place is between October and April between the Moose and the Jets they have almost 100 dates spoken for , so if the artist isn't doing a Canadian tour , tough to fit in on an off day of event at BellMTS because they normally need 2 days minimum . I know of 2 concerts and WWE event that couldn't be fit in cause of arena schedule

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 8:23 PM

The Bombers own the team, of course they are going to use IGF and not build somewhere else. Only a portion of the stadium seats will be for sale, maybe max 10000. I'm sure they have done the numbers, it means more days of use.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
One of the other reasons of less concerts at Bell Mts Place is between October and April between the Moose and the Jets they have almost 100 dates spoken for , so if the artist isn't doing a Canadian tour , tough to fit in on an off day of event at BellMTS because they normally need 2 days minimum . I know of 2 concerts and WWE event that couldn't be fit in cause of arena schedule
That's more of an issue only because of the pre-existing routing challenges with Winnipeg's location – there are many other arenas that are as busy or busier than Bell MTS Place that have no problems getting the concerts in. ACC and many other NBA leagues have 2 teams and are the main concert arena in their cities. Staples Centre has 4 major league teams (NHL Kings, NBA Lakers & Clippers, WNBA Sparks) and is the #1 concert arena in California.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 6:03 AM

Bell Mts Centre

Chicago has a problem with that at United Center cause of Blackhawks and Bulls but most of their concert dates are at the All State Arena near Ohare airport not as big as United Center but big enough and also very close to airport

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 4:09 PM

Bighill signing is massive for the Bombers.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 11:53 PM

So the big news from yesterday – Bombers got a new liquor deal.

The Rum Hut is no longer Appleton's (I think it was Cruzan?).... AND THERE'S A BOURBON HUT. They built a Jim Beam stand thing with some cool bourbon cocktail and even built it to look like a grain elevator, pretty nifty.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 8:50 PM

Richie Hall must go.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Richie Hall must go.
Agreed. It's so painfully obvious. D-Line has was great last year and this year again – but secondary is just dreadful, but I think we have good players for the most part.

However, it's inexcusable to me when DBs don't turn around to see the ball. Both deep pass Edmonton TDs were scored on Brandon Alexander, and he didn't turn around once on either.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:11 PM

Ross was injured on Thursday/Friday. Mitchell Gale has been added to the "practice" roster. Reality is CFL teams always dress three QBs and with Nichols and Ross injured Mitchell will dress for the game this week.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 8:26 AM

O'Shea must go! The man is a tactical imbecile. How long do Bomber fans have to suffer bad coaching and management?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
O'Shea must go! The man is a tactical imbecile. How long do Bomber fans have to suffer bad coaching and management?
Until a week ago I would have argued with you over this, but the second half of the Lions game was my breaking point. If this is where we're at in O'Shea's fifth year as HC I just don't see it getting much better. But knowing the Bombers tendency to never hire a proven, experienced HC (Ritchie was the only one in the last 25 years), my fear is that they will replace O'Shea with someone worse.

FWIW Kyle Walters has done a good job, he has stocked the team with good players and a good crop of Canadians. Why they can't consistently win with this lineup is a mystery to me.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 3:21 PM

As you note, he has had more than enough time. We could replace him with a monkey and a dartboard and it wouldn’t be worse, but it would be cheaper.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan