HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
PSU's Evolution: Updating Campus To Attract New Generation Of Students

For years, Portland State University has been that row of low, brick-and-concrete bunkers along Southwest Broadway.

PSU business school student Elliott Dow saw the old business building as dark and cramped.

“You went there for classes,” he said, “and then you got out.”

On one hand, business school dean Cliff Allen defends the building as having served its general purpose. But Allen also acknowledges that the facility didn’t support specific teaching methods. It lacked spaces, for example, where students could collaborate on business case studies.
...continues at OPB.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 12:59 AM

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 5:25 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The design makes it feel like it has a lean to it....though if the angling done on the facade is equal to the slope of the road, it will just make you feel like you are leaning.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 7:40 AM

Fourth & Montgomery drawings, Part I [96 MB] and Part II [186 MB], and Staff Report, which recommends approval.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Fourth & Montgomery drawings, Part I [96 MB] and Part II [186 MB], and Staff Report, which recommends approval.
interesting. I think I like it, but will let it sit in my brain for a bit to be sure.

like to see GBD (edit = SRG) pushing themselves, for sure.

Last edited by eric cantona; Sep 1, 2018 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 9:30 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I'm not sure the twisted vertical stripes improve this thing at all... but... whatever. Hopefully it won't look cheap when built.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Approved tonight by a 6-1 vote.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Super-Sustainable Addition to Business School Quickly Becomes Center of Portland State Campus

Even more than its newly renovated home and an expansion next door, the Karl Miller Center’s five-story atrium gives Portland State University a sense of place.

Since its founding in 1946, Portland State University (PSU) has grown from a small commuter school to a population of more than 27,000 students. During that time, PSU has come to enjoy a greater presence in the community thanks to a campus-wide investment in what had been a series of dark, outdated facilities, as well as a curriculum that increasingly reflects Portland’s penchant for sustainable policy and progressive urban planning.

PSU also enjoys an enviable downtown location that is, along with the 12-block public park known as South Park Blocks forming the school’s spine, a leafy oasis. Yet particularly in this perennially rainy climate, students need communal indoor gathering spaces, which the university had always lacked.

Perhaps that’s why the new Karl Miller Center, with its luminescent five-story atrium, has quickly become a kind of living room not just for the School of Business housed there but for all of PSU.

“We actually used to have MBA students practicing presentations in their cars,” recalls Cliff Allen, the business school’s dean. “We also estimate the university may have as many as 1,500 houseless students. Having this welcoming safe place on campus where students can get the support and the camaraderie they need is very important to us. That atrium is packed throughout the school year with students.”
...continues at Metropolis.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:02 PM
A before E

I really love how far this campus has come. In my time there, it felt like a great urban college, but today it makes me jealous because I wish it looked like what it does now when I went there.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 3:57 AM

Quote:
It was long enough ago I can't get in trouble for it anymore, but some friends and I set off a lot of fireworks in that parking lot one new year morning.

I can't believe I'm nostalgic for a parking lot. I never thought it would happen.

Still, this is a much better use.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Final Findings and Decision by the Design Commission

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Portland State University: projects aplenty

PSU prepares to start Fourth & Montgomery, even as another project reaches a construction mid-point.

Portland State University's Fourth & Montgomery project created a local buzz last month when the project earned approval in its first formal appearance before the city of Portland Design Commission.

But the quick journey through design review (a process that usually takes several attempts for most projects) hasn't been the only unique aspect of Fourth & Montgomery. PSU is just one of four owners of the project, a mix that also includes Oregon Health & Science University, Portland Community College and the city of Portland.

When completed, the Fourth & Montgomery building will be home to PSU's Graduate School of Education, OHSU and PSU's joint School of Health, PCC's dental program and the city's Bureau of Planning and Sustainability.

With four different owner viewpoints and opinions, trying to get everyone on the same page for design aspects could have been a recipe for disaster — especially given that PSU already had been busy with an in-progress renovation of Neuberger Hall and is preparing to issue a call for bids later this year for a third project. But tapping a unique approach called integrated project delivery helped keep the process from spiraling out of control, according to Dan Zalkow, PSU's associate vice president for planning, construction and real estate.

"It has been challenging at times, but it's worked out really well," he said.
...continues at the Business Tribune.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 3:18 AM

https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/spor...s-new-vik.html

Quote:
Inside Portland State's new Viking Pavilion
By JD Humburg | The Oregonian/OregonLive | Posted December 06, 2018 at 07:00 PM

A look inside Portland State University's new 3,400-seat, $52.1 million Viking Pavilion, through the photography of Taylor Balkom

...continues (many, MANY more pics.)

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:53 AM
A before E

Tight space for a basketball arena, but it looks like a great space to watch some college basketball. I so wish this existed when I was going to college there and lived a couple blocks from this building. I probably would have gone to a number of games.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 5:37 PM

Went to a game there a week ago and it's a very nice facility. My friend and I were commenting about how great it would have been had the interior east wall of the gym been open to a view of the Park blocks... bit of a nod to the Memorial Coliseum. Too much to ask in this case I suppose.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 8:51 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
Went to a game there a week ago and it's a very nice facility. My friend and I were commenting about how great it would have been had the interior east wall of the gym been open to a view of the Park blocks... bit of a nod to the Memorial Coliseum. Too much to ask in this case I suppose.
I want to say that was in the original plans, but I am guessing a glass curtain wall may have been a bit out of their budget.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:46 PM

Work has started on 4th and Montgomery. Excited for this one.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:16 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/news...d-on-down.html

Quote:
Officials break ground on downtown Portland classroom, clinic and office building
By Elliot Njus | The Oregonian/OregonLive | Posted on January 11, 2019 10:05 AM | Updated January 11, 2019 10:07 AM

Officials from three higher education institutions and Portland's city government broke ground on a $104 million, seven-story building where they'll all share space.

The building at the corner of Southwest Fourth Avenue and Montgomery Street is a joint effort between the city, Portland State University, Oregon Health & Science University and Portland Community College.

It will house classrooms for the Portland State College of Education; a School of Public Health shared by Portland State and OHSU; and Portland Community College's dental hygiene and dental assisting programs.
...(continues)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 7:54 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/education...-building.html

Quote:
Local tech entrepreneurs give Portland State $4.5 million to kickstart upgrades to aging science building
Updated 11:29 AM; Today 11:12 AM

This conceptual drawing by Seattle-based SHKS Architects shows how Portland State University's fortress-like Science Building One might look after a planned $83 million modernization and expansion.Courtesy of Portland State University

By Betsy Hammond | The Oregonian/OregonLive
By BETSY HAMMOND

Tech entrepreneurs Christine and David Vernier have given Portland State $4.5 million to help remake its 50-year-old science building into a modernized and lively hive for hands-on science and technology education, the university announced Wednesday.

The Verniers’ gift, one of many they have made to the downtown Portland university, represents nearly half the money the university would likely need to raise to qualify for $73 million from state borrowing for the science building update.

The Legislature is expected to give serious consideration to awarding more than $300 million in bond proceeds to Oregon’s seven public universities to remodel and expand aging campus buildings. Under a proposal vetted and endorsed by Oregon’s Higher Education Coordinating Commission, PSU’s science building would be the largest beneficiary.
...(continues)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 7:55 PM

PSU 4th and Montgomery - Updates 1.31.20

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland