HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Congratulations Saskatoon on the proposed smallest 'World Trade Centre' on the planet! Continue reaching for the stars S'toon!!
Have you ever checked out our "CN Tower"?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 10:12 PM

On one hand another Class A office building in Saskatoon is good news (regardless of height) on the other hand this 2 phase project has gone from a 110 meter condo and an 80ish meter office building to a 9 story office building and yet another surface parking lot and that (to me) is disappointing.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Congratulations Saskatoon on the proposed smallest 'World Trade Centre' on the planet! Continue reaching for the stars S'toon!!
If you ever want advice on how to start building high rises someday, Regina can give you a hand with that
Regina has a brand new International Trade Centre and it is all of one storey.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Regina has a brand new International Trade Centre and it is all of one storey.

Evraz Place International Trade Centre addition to its already large facilities is more than Saskatoon's Praireland Exhibition Park could hope for..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis
ya, its overwhelming

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
On one hand another Class A office building in Saskatoon is good news (regardless of height) on the other hand this 2 phase project has gone from a 110 meter condo and an 80ish meter office building to a 9 story office building and yet another surface parking lot and that (to me) is disappointing.
Not to make fun of our province...but dont forget this is saskatchewan. I know tons of people who think a 10 storey building is really tall...which imo it isnt. Most of these 30+ storey towers are in cities that have a metro population of 600k- high millions. So im not really schocked that its downscaled so much. Id love the old rendering..but at least were getting some action downtown.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Not to make fun of our province...but dont forget this is saskatchewan. I know tons of people who think a 10 storey building is really tall...which imo it isnt. Most of these 30+ storey towers are in cities that have a metro population of 600k- high millions. So im not really schocked that its downscaled so much. Id love the old rendering..but at least were getting some action downtown.
I'm personally happy for a 9 story tower because a city Saskatoon's size can only handle a few 10+ story commercial towers. I'm also very excited to hear that a restaurant is going into the main floor because 3rd Ave is very spaced out on main level businesses compared to 2nd.
I think if River Landing's 20 story tower was immediately going ahead, this one probably wouldn't be. nonetheless the downtown is going to be so different in 3 years with all of this new office space - hopefully it's too much and developers incentivize suburban businesses to move downtown with lower rates on new class A office space, potentially 400 new people working downtown as part of the health region in the river landing office tower, 150-200 more people in the No1River Landing condo, Nutrien has had a downtown Saskatoon hiring freeze on for almost two years which means they should do some more hiring after this merger.... the bank's sold 10 more condos this past week alone and it's pretty much close to sold out by the sounds of it (all that's left are north end condos that don't have the prettiest views or layouts).

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 2:58 PM

Here's some news on some up and coming office space in Saskatoon

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...wers-1.4204410

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:40 PM

^ Hoping that the rooftop restaurant on top of the East Tower will actually happen.

A good rundown on the projects.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Here's some news on some up and coming office space in Saskatoon

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...wers-1.4204410
"The $55-million (minus tenant improvements) World Trade Center is slated to open its doors to office-holders in early 2020. It will boast a four-level underground parking garage, a 126-seat lecture theatre, a penthouse floor with workout room and showers for cyclists who work up a sweat on the trek to work."

This is good news, should be a pretty deep hole.

Having showers for cyclists is also a nice touch.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskE30 View Post
"The $55-million (minus tenant improvements) World Trade Center is slated to open its doors to office-holders in early 2020. It will boast a four-level underground parking garage, a 126-seat lecture theatre, a penthouse floor with workout room and showers for cyclists who work up a sweat on the trek to work."

This is good news, should be a pretty deep hole.

Having showers for cyclists is also a nice touch.
....required for LEED certification.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 3:18 AM

Meewasin starts work on trail through the Northeast Swale

By Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
July 15, 2017

The Meewasin Valley Authority took the first tangible steps toward implementing its master plan to protect the ecologically sensitive Northeast Swale this week.

Work began Thursday on building a 2.2-kilometre trail network through the swale that is intended to both accommodate those who want to enjoy the area just north of the Silverspring and Evergreen neighbourhoods and discourage those who misuse the area.

The trail system will include six nodes that will feature benches, garbage cans and interpretive panels. The trail is being built along a three-metre-wide swath that has already been disturbed by human activity.

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ortheast-swale

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The residents quoted in the article at least sound reasonable enough, not the foaming at the mouth NIMBY type. I wonder if the City and developer will negotiate a haircut for the building of 1 or 2 stories as a compromise -- I really hope not.

Image from the article:

I had heard that one of the higher ups of the company building this has the intention of living in the penthouse suite so I would imagine it might be up to him if this gets downsized. The view from the top should be pretty fantastic not unlike the one at the building at 5 corners I'd assume.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 3:47 PM

Article on difficulty getting people to live downtown in Star Phoenix:

http://thestarphoenix.com/opinion/co...still-a-puzzle

I actually think the article should be titled, "no place" for people to live downtown. To me, the lack of quality product downtown is the real deterrent. I can only assume that there are a fairly large number of 'boomers' such as my wife and I that would consider downsizing and moving downtown to walkable amenities. We have actively looked for several years and have just not found a product that we want. The "newest" option would be the conversion of the KG, which we did consider.

We also had our name in for the bit of a 'fiasco" that was the pre-sales for Riverlanding No1. As it was, we were not prepared to pay $700,000 for 1,000 sq ft. We need a developer to build a condo project/tower that has units 1,000 to 1,300 sq ft in size with 2 bedrooms that are priced in the $400,000 to $600,000 range and then watch that sell out quickly too!

So....I don't think it is a matter of people not wanting to live downtown but rather where is the appropriate product? Come on developers.....step up and build what the market is looking for please!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Article on difficulty getting people to live downtown in Star Phoenix:

http://thestarphoenix.com/opinion/co...still-a-puzzle

I actually think the article should be titled, "no place" for people to live downtown. To me, the lack of quality product downtown is the real deterrent. I can only assume that there are a fairly large number of 'boomers' such as my wife and I that would consider downsizing and moving downtown to walkable amenities. We have actively looked for several years and have just not found a product that we want. The "newest" option would be the conversion of the KG, which we did consider.

We also had our name in for the bit of a 'fiasco" that was the pre-sales for Riverlanding No1. As it was, we were not prepared to pay $700,000 for 1,000 sq ft. We need a developer to build a condo project/tower that has units 1,000 to 1,300 sq ft in size with 2 bedrooms that are priced in the $400,000 to $600,000 range and then watch that sell out quickly too!

So....I don't think it is a matter of people not wanting to live downtown but rather where is the appropriate product? Come on developers.....step up and build what the market is looking for please!
Developers take big risks and need a decent return. It is unrealistic to expect a brand new build, quality downtown condo with more than 1000 SF and parking for $400,000.

Riverlanding 1 is not overpriced, as evidenced by it being oversold in a weak economy. Edit: I see there are 20 units now available although many of these are the result of the 4 extra floors added, plus people changing their minds. According to CBC they have not been actively trying to sell, but will start soon

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 5:19 PM
Registered Geek

Hometown Diner 306

I had the opportunity on the weekend to check out the new Hometown Diner 306 at 210 20th Street West. It was nothing short of AMAZING!! The service, the food, the ambiance... it was well worth every minute and dollar I spent at that establishment!! Arriving early is the key. By 11:30 a.m. on Sunday morning there was a lineup. They've done nothing for advertising except Facebook and Instagram and already it's a hit with everyone that's taken it in. Check it out... you won't be disappointed.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:18 AM

Heritage hearing Tuesday on downtown Saskatoon church

PHIL TANK, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX
Published on: July 17, 2017 | Last Updated: July 17, 2017 4:36 PM CST

Quote:
Saskatoon residents can speak up about whether they think the historic Third Avenue United Church warrants heritage protection.

The Saskatchewan Heritage Property Review Board is scheduled to hold a public hearing Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Federation des Francophones de Saskatoon at 103 – 308 Fourth Ave. N.

People who want to speak at the hearing must indicate their intention before it begins.

“This is one of the most important buildings downtown,” said Peggy Sarjeant, president of the Saskatoon Heritage Society. “It will be great if people come out to show their support for the building.”

City council was prevented from granting heritage protection to the church when the building’s former owner filed an objection with the provincial heritage review board in January.

A city council committee had endorsed considering heritage designation that would protect the exterior of the church and two aspects of the interior: The hammerbeam rafters and the Casavant organ.

Former owner John Orr lost the church in court-supervised restructuring of his companies, but noted in his objection that he is trying to reacquire the church. He said he spent $3.5 million to buy and repair the property.

The building’s current owner, Dale Anderson, has put it up for sale. It is listed with ICR Commercial Real Estate for $3.44 million. Anderson has said he supports the heritage protection, as do the two parties that have expressed interest in buying the building.

In June, the City of Saskatoon took the unusual step of issuing a news release assuring residents the structure has several layers of protection from demolition. Construction on the church began in 1911.

Sarjeant said the heritage society has submitted a letter of support to the review board and she also plans to speak at the hearing.

The building, which is noteworthy for its acoustics, can be repurposed to continue to serve a vital role in keeping downtown Saskatoon animated, she said.

“It’s a beautiful building and we are convinced it can be reused.”

ptank@postmedia.com

twitter.com/thinktankSK
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...skatoon-church

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:34 PM
Registered Geek

Market Mall Liquor Store

The old liquor store in Market Mall is finally no more. The sign came down on the weekend and the windows papered up. There is a sign on the outside of the building stating "Coachman Offsale" so I'm not sure if that's a sign of what is to come for the space, or if they're just trying to re-direct old liquor store customers inside to the Coachman. Either way, the long-standing LBS is gone!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
I had the opportunity on the weekend to check out the new Hometown Diner 306 at 210 20th Street West. It was nothing short of AMAZING!! The service, the food, the ambiance... it was well worth every minute and dollar I spent at that establishment!! Arriving early is the key. By 11:30 a.m. on Sunday morning there was a lineup. They've done nothing for advertising except Facebook and Instagram and already it's a hit with everyone that's taken it in. Check it out... you won't be disappointed.
All day GOOD breakfast is what i've been missing in my life!!!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 3:00 PM

Former home of the Patricia Hotel for sale for $6.2 million

Morgan Modjeski, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: July 20, 2017 | Last Updated: July 20, 2017 6:00 AM CST

Quote:
More than four years after its owners said they would wait until “the dust settles a bit” to announce development plans for the former home of the Patricia Hotel, the downtown lots that housed the popular hotel and bar are up for sale for more than $6.2 million.

The hotel, which was for years favoured by thirsty university students, was torn down in 2013. The vacant lot at the corner of Second Avenue North and 25th Street East has been used for parking ever since — one of dozens of empty lots adorning the city’s downtown core.

A request for comment from David Bakonyi, who represents the Vancouver-based investors who purchased the land in 2013, was not accommodated.

Keith Webb, the Colliers International agent managing the sale, said he wasn’t able to comment on the reason for the sale, but described it as a “perfectly situated development site” with “great exposure and good traffic counts.”

“So the fellows … put it to the market and if they can get what they’re asking for, then they would sell it,” Webb said. “If not, then they’ll hold it, and continue to enjoy the income that’s generated from the parking lot.”

A good location alone may not be enough.

ICR Commercial Real Estate partner Josh Walchuk said developers consider numerous factors if they’re preparing to build, including downtown commercial vacancy rates — which were hovering around 16 per cent in April — and demand for residential condos.

He noted developments like Canwest Commercial and Land Corp’s World Trade Center Saskatoon and a three-tower hotel-condominium-office development at River Landing are proof Saskatoon can attract large projects.

While developers can opt for a mixed-use building with residential and commercial spaces, it’s likely demand for downtown office space will have to increase and vacancy will need to drop before any more projects emerge in the city’s downtown core, he said.

“I don’t think you’ll see any other projects come out of the ground besides the two that have been announced until a developer sees the success of those projects.”

On Wednesday afternoon, the listing’s status remained active on Century 21 Fusion’s website.

mmodjeski@postmedia.com

Twitter.com/MorganM_SP
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...t-lot-for-sale

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan