HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 2:55 PM

Printed media and books?

I am basing this on my personal observation and changing routine. I used to enjoy sitting down and reading the or any newspaper. I was fond of the Spec on a regular basis and the Saturday Star and Sunday Sun. Linger over a coffee and share it with my wife. I still will stop into a pub and read the FREE padre there.
But, I stopped my subscription a couple years ago and don't miss it especially
Now with a laptop or iPad.
My point is were is the printed media going?
I got a phone call yesterday and was offered the Spec for $2.15 a week introductory offer. That is 36 cents an issue. What 70 % off. I still said No, because my recycle bin is less full and the damn things are nothing but a lb of ads. Namely the week-ends. With all the inserts.
So my point is, are we seeing the demise of printed material. I got a kobo reader that takes the place of a whole library with all the free classics great for the road or the cottage, no more book case.
With the newspapers iPad, iPod, iPhone, it is so much more convenient with less refuse.
Are newspapers obsolete?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 3:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

I read my news from my iPad.

I can see all major newspaper having an iPad app. New York Times does and there's a fee.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 1:31 AM
It's Hammer Time

http://www.urbanicity.ca/urbanicity.html

Excited to read the re-launch of Urbanicity. Excellent list of contributors like Paul Wilson! He's coming back. Eisenberger, Cooke, Skelly, etc.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 3:58 AM

The View, the local weekly paper, owes me a considerable sum of money for photos that appeared in the paper in 2009 and 2010. They have not paid me and refuse to return my calls or emails. They used to pay me, but stopped, and it appears they are just ignoring me in the hopes that I will give up.

Anyways, if any of you happen to know the editor, Ron Kilpatrick, or Sean or Marcus Rosen, maybe put in a word for me. It's really frustrating to be treated in such an unprofessional manner.

It's normally not my style to air my business publicly, but I'm hoping maybe some social pressure can avoid the hassle of going to court, because the amount of money involved is enough that I will eventually have to.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 12:05 AM

Anyone?

Perhaps a few of you who have enjoyed my photo tours of Hamilton might write a letter to the editor at View or maybe call the rant line or something.

http://www.viewmag.com/

editor@viewmag.com
ron@viewmag.com
seanr@viewmag.com

These deadbeats have stiffed me for the Civic Shot feature I did for nearly three years and it's hard for me to do anything about it because I'm up here in Ottawa.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Anyone?

Perhaps a few of you who have enjoyed my photo tours of Hamilton might write a letter to the editor at View or maybe call the rant line or something.

http://www.viewmag.com/

editor@viewmag.com
ron@viewmag.com
seanr@viewmag.com

These deadbeats have stiffed me for the Civic Shot feature I did for nearly three years and it's hard for me to do anything about it because I'm up here in Ottawa.
Unacceptable! I'll be emailing them for you. I used to pick up View for no other reason than to see your Civic Shots!

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
Unacceptable! I'll be emailing them for you. I used to pick up View for no other reason than to see your Civic Shots!
Thanks a lot DC

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 11:19 AM

March 1, 2010

May 24, 2011

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 2:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

/A\ Network to be renamed CTV2

Posted by Hugh Thompson on May 30, 2011

Bell Media announced today that it will rename the /A\ network to CTV Two this fall.

Bell says the rebranded network will broadcast in high definition to English Canadian viewers in Vancouver/Victoria, Toronto/Barrie, Ottawa, London, Windsor and Atlantic Canada.

Bell also announced that in order to expand its reach to almost 90% of English Canadians, the telecommunications giant will apply to the CRTC to extend the reach of its Barrie transmitter to Toronto and Hamilton and will move forward with plans to add a re-broadcast transmitter in southern Ontario in 2012.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2011/05/a-...-renamed-ctv2/

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 3:29 PM

^ Doesn't Vaughan (or York Region) also have it's own /A\ Channel as well?
Poor Kitchener.. I feel they deserve their own CTV over Barrie (or Vaughan)!

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 3:52 PM

Doesn't Kitchener have the CTV station CKCO?

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:53 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
^ Doesn't Vaughan (or York Region) also have it's own /A\ Channel as well?
Poor Kitchener.. I feel they deserve their own CTV over Barrie (or Vaughan)!
No Vaughan doesn't have a channel. The A channel affiliate that is located in Barrie is the one changing over to CTV2.

Kitcheners channel 13 has been a CTV affiliate for as long as I can remember.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
No Vaughan doesn't have a channel. The A channel affiliate that is located in Barrie is the one changing over to CTV2.

Kitcheners channel 13 has been a CTV affiliate for as long as I can remember.
Thanks. I thought they lost their CTV during the whole restructuring a couple years ago. Honestly w/ Digi/PVR I don't really want TV TV anymore anyway :s

Only time I watch CHCH is for a good laugh.. ie, from yesterday:
"There was a shooting late last night near a Toronto after-hours club. Gunfire rang out at 5am, just steps from a Childrens' Playgorund!"

WTF does a playground have anything to do w/ a shooting in the middle of a night?
Was this statement made simply to spark rage amongst CHCH's audience?
Because our Prime Minister is a Neo-Con, does that mean we all have to live in false fear now?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 7:44 PM

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...tion-clampdown

bizarre news from City Hall. Peggy Chapman wants to 'control' media access, with the justification of protecting the public.

It's not like our media is flourishing to the point where Bratina needs to wade through a media scrum to get to work in the morning. What's he worried about, Don McLean? All I can think of is that it stems from that article on RTH where they called out the mayor's office for double booking the mayor during the stadium negotiations. If that's what's behind it then this is one petty administration. It was Bob Bratina that stood in Hess Village with an Our City Our future T-shirt on I seem to remember.

It's weird because you'd think they already controlled access in plenty of ways, so why bring it to the surface like this? Maybe it was just a slip of the tongue, when in Rome type of thing, Chapman going right-wing while chatting with Bill Kelly.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 1:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

Fall Lineups at CHCH, Metro 14 Unveiled by Channel Zero

Channel Zero has announced Fall 2011 programming line-ups for CHCH Ontario and Métro14 Montréal.

This Fall, primetime line-ups on CHCH and Métro14 are stronger than ever! "Backed by a strong simulcast schedule and dozens of exclusive Hollywood blockbuster broadcast premieres, viewers are sure to come home to a pleasing viewing experience night after night," said Romen Podzyhun, Chairman and CEO of Channel Zero Inc. "We're also thrilled to be making a significant world broadcast film premiere announcement on June 8th at our Upfront Presentation."

"With solid year over year growth and 4.2 million viewers each week in Ontario1, CHCH has quickly re-established itself on the television landscape. In fact CHCH is one of the top five most watched over-the-air stations in Ontario2," said Geoff Thrasher, General Sales Manager, Channel Zero. "Rolling out this exciting high definition primetime simulcast schedule on Métro14 in Montréal provides advertisers with one of the most exciting television media opportunities Québec has seen in years."

Great Movies Every Night (HD) CHCH is home to great movies every night, with an exclusive first-run Sunday Blockbuster each week. Debut titles for Fall 2011 include Crazy Heart, Taken and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Nightly at 8pm or 9pm

20/20 (HD, Simulcast with ABC) A primetime news magazine program featuring co-anchors Elizabeth Vargas and Chris Cuomo. 20/20 combines hard-hitting investigative reports, newsmaker interviews and compelling human interest and feature stories. Fridays at 10pm

48 Hours Mystery (HD, Simulcast with CBS) Television's most popular true-crime series, 48 Hours Mystery investigates shocking cases and compelling real-life dramas with journalistic integrity and cutting-edge style. Saturdays at 10pm

60 Minutes (HD, Simulcast with CBS) The most successful television newsmagazine in history offers hard-hitting investigative reports, interviews, feature segments and profiles of people in the news. Sundays at 7pm

Chuck (HD, Simulcast with NBC) Cast: Zachary Levi, Adam Baldwin and Yvonne Strahovski Our favorite secret agent is back in the one-hour action-comedy series in its fifth and final season. Chuck Bartowski returns as a regular guy who also happens to be the government's most vital secret agent. Fridays at 8pm

Hart of Dixie **NEW** (HD, Pre-Release to CW) Cast: Rachel Bilson, Scott Porter, Jaime King Bilson plays Zoe, a doctor from the Big Apple adjusting to life and romance in a small Southern town after she inherits a local medical practice. Mondays at 8pm

The Insider **NEW** (HD, Simulcast with CBS on CHCH) Looking for your gossip fix? Hosts Brooke Anderson and Kevin Frazier will take you inside the entertainment world and deliver a daily double dose of celebrity, pop culture and gossip, from an insider perspective. Weeknights at 5pm & 7:30pm

Jimmy Kimmel Live! (HD, Simulcast with ABC) Jimmy Kimmel hosts a late night talk show with a variety of celebrity, news-making guests and live musical acts. Weeknights at Midnight

NBA Game of the Week (HD, Simulcast with ABC) Features the NBA's marquee match-up of the week. Premieres Christmas Day. Sunday afternoons.

Nightline (HD, Simulcast with ABC) A nightly discussion of current newsworthy events. Nightline provides a mix of investigative journalism and extended interviews. Weeknights at 11:35pm

Secret Circle **NEW** (HD, Pre-Release to CW) Cast: Brittany Robertson, Thomas Dekker, Gale Harold A young woman moves to a new town and discovers that not only is she a witch and part of a secret coven, but also the key that will unlock a centuries-old battle of good versus evil. Based on the highly successful series of novels written by L.J. Smith. Thursdays at 8pm

Sportsline Mark Hebscher and Clint 'Bubba' O'Neil team up to give fans an unfiltered take on sports. Sportsline is provocative, no-holds barred, irreverent, tell-it-like-it-is, and in your face! Weeknights at 7pm

Square-Off Mark Hebscher and special guest co-stars square-off to discuss the hot-button issues. Weekdays at 5:30pm, CHCH only

Supernatural (HD, Simulcast with CW) Cast: Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles Returning for its seventh season, this haunting series follows Sam and Dean Winchester, two brothers bound by tragedy and blood to the one thing that runs through both their veins - hunting monsters. Fridays at 9pm

http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/i...aid=1000459542

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 2:24 PM

Just wanted to say I found Channel Zero's H.O. accidently in Toronto's Junction neighbourhood. Awesome Hood.. too bad I can't say the same for said broadcaster.

I understand 'rights' and whatnot, but I really wish CHCH would at least TRY for Bulldogs Games. I mean, not everyone gets SportsNet and CBC only broadcasts maybe a half dozen (at most) BDs games through the year.
If CHCH picked up some more, say at least 2 dozen games or so, maybe the exposure would translate to more butts in seats?

I just really wish our local media outlet was indeed LOCAL! Scream About it @ 5:30 and CHCH News are a far cry from TRUE local programming! ESP since their idea of 'local' news usually starts off in Toronto, or Germany LMAO!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 2:29 PM

Local Media Access at City Hall: A Joint Statement

We are asking that Council and Staff develop a formal policy on media relations which is fair, clear, and does not allow political staff to unduly influence the free flow of information at City Hall.
By RTH Staff
Published May 31, 2011

Editorial

We, the undersigned, call on the City of Hamilton and the Mayor's Office to adopt a policy of openness and transparency that recognizes the right of ordinary Hamiltonians to access information and speak to local officials, in the spirit of democracy and civic engagement that is one of the hallmarks of this city.

We represent a number of local independent media entities, whether as media professionals, citizen journalists, independent bloggers or as engaged citizens.

Recently, statements were made in local press regarding the relationship between City Hall and media, and how the current policies may change in terms of how people in media access City Hall. These statements were made largely by Peggy Chapman (a member of the Mayor's political staff), who states she is working closely with the City Manager's office to revise and develop these policies.

While we recognize the city's interest in developing a comprehensive media policy, we have concerns about its purpose and objectives. A media policy should be geared toward ensuring citizens and the media have access to information that ought to be public and transparent.

It should be seen as a concern that political staff would have influence on the development of that framework- it is not hard to imagine how policies could be developed that would result in influencing how information is gathered by media, and how that information is accessed.

Quote:
What I'm trying to bring in is a press gallery. What that means, and it's going to bother a few people... is I will recognize you and give you as much access to the mayor, as need be, or information that I have - and especially at council, if you have a boss. If you're a journalist that has a boss that I can complain to, if I think that information is incorrect. If you don't have that, it's, you know- how do we control, um, the information? I don't mean control like I want to control what's being said, but my first priority is the public. I would hope in media your first priority is the information to the public too. But that's not my responsibility. My responsibility is information coming from City Hall, to the public. And how do we get that?

-- Peggy Chapman on The Bill Kelly Show, CHML, Wednesday, May 25, 2011
The statements above by Ms. Chapman seem to suggest that at Hamilton's City Hall, private media companies will be given preference over citizens who are engaged as independent media, perhaps simply because there is a perception that one group is more responsible than the other.

In making these statements, Ms. Chapman is making an implied accusation that independent media are less accountable than media owned by private companies. In fact, many citizen journalists are far less legally protected than media professionals who can access legal services at no cost to themselves, but rather the private companies they work for.

We believe firmly that any attempt to restrict access of the media to City Hall, whether professional or independent, would result in restricting the flow of open and transparent information to the general public, and inappropriately give political staff the unilateral ability to pick and choose who has access to information.

In the absence of a formal procedural framework, access to media seats in City Council chambers has been a confusing issue. Some media outlets have gained access to the resource of a media desk when others have not, or have been dissuaded by the City clerks department to access those seats.

We are asking that Council and Staff develop a formal policy on media relations which is fair, clear, and does not allow political staff to unduly influence the free flow of information at City Hall. We would also ask council to make this dialogue public, by council and by civil servants who can be held accountable by the public. We believe that this issue should not be handled by political staff, who may be motivated to develop these policies in a way that is favourable to their employer rather than in the interest of informing the public.

We would like to request that the City Manager's office, and/or the Mayor's office publicly respond to these concerns promptly, offer clarity on what our rights are as engaged citizens and independent media and how those rights will be protected going forward, should any new policy be enacted at City Hall.

Sincerely,

http://raisethehammer.org/article/13...oint_statement

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 2:32 PM

^^ This is very important, everyone! Make sure everyone you know understands what the Mayor's office is trying to do; SILENCE INDY MEDIA!
Spread the word, EMAIL your councilors!

We cannot allow CHCH and/or TheSpec and/or Peggy Chapman's Bay Observer to be the only media outlets with access to the Mayor, Council and City Staff.

Why does Bratina try to run the City back to 1951? It's 2011, sir! Wake up and smell the freedom!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 1:16 PM

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 10:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

CHCH FIRST ON THE AIRWAVES WITH CANADA'S EARLIEST MORNING SHOW
EARLY TO RISE OR LATE TO BED... STAY INFORMED WITH CHCH!

http://www.istockanalyst.com/busines...t-morning-show

TORONTO, June 7, 2011 /CNW/ - Today Channel Zero announced plans for the launch of CHCH's Morning Live First Edition — the first morning show to hit the airwaves at 4am in Canadian history!

Geared to the earliest of the early risers and perfect for commuter nation, Morning Live First Edition will get viewers up, prepped for the day and out the door on time. It caters not just to suburban commuters and predawn shift workers, but also to grateful insomniacs, first responders, parents of infants and, yes, even the occasional late-night club-hopper. Morning Live First Edition will air weekdays from 4-5:30am ET and is slated to launch early this Fall on CHCH. While new to Canada, "early early" morning shows are now the norm throughout the U.S., airing in markets of all sizes.

"On the heels of its 10th anniversary, CHCH Morning Live will soon enjoy an opening act," said Mike Katrycz, CHCH News Director. "For the past decade, viewers across the province have woken up with Morning Live and relied on us for the information they need to get their day started. Morning Live First Edition will boast a new morning team (to be announced later this summer), and will serve up breaking news, weather, traffic, sports and entertainment information — earlier than any other station in the country."

"An earlier start time spurs rating gains later in the morning, like a snowball rolling down a steep hill. It creates more opportunity to reach viewers in the morning and that's what our customers have asked us for," said Chris Fuoco, Vice President Sales and Marketing, Channel Zero Inc. "Audiences on Morning Live are up 88% year over year1, and we don't see this slowing any time soon. While the Internet is changing television viewing habits across the board, early morning newscasts buck the trend. In the morning, you're less likely to be getting online — you're getting up, putting on your pants, grabbing some breakfast, watching the news, and heading out the door."

This Fall, CHCH continues its tradition in news excellence. Currently airing 76.5 hours of local news every week — the addition of Morning Live First Edition takes the total weekly hours count up to 84 — more than any other local television station in North America. Just another example of how Channel Zero continues to push the envelope in Canadian broadcasting.

About CHCH
CHCH started broadcasting in 1954 and is proud to be the news leader for Hamilton and the surrounding Halton and Niagara regions. CHCH produces more original news programming than any other local television station in North America. With a primetime line-up anchored by movies, news magazine shows, and hit dramas, CHCH is available to over 92% of Ontario households and is viewed by millions nationally each week.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy