HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Durst has at least one other property before the recent pier purchase. But, have they done anything with the previously purchased lot and anything in the works for the current purchased lot? I just don't get the feeling that they are in a rush. Maybe hold the land for increase value and flip it if the selling price is right to another buyer. That is what I see at the moment rather than putting projects into motion. I could be wrong but...I don't see any concrete proposals at the moment.
I think the recent purchase suggests that they are working on ideas, and the press release outlined there ideas for a mixed-use development. I'm not sure if they are in a rush, but having several properties makes it more likely they'll develop them. They'll be able to leverage some of their management and operating expenses across the several properties to make them each cheaper to run together than they would be individually, thus generating better returns.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Durst has at least one other property before the recent pier purchase. But, have they done anything with the previously purchased lot and anything in the works for the current purchased lot? I just don't get the feeling that they are in a rush. Maybe hold the land for increase value and flip it if the selling price is right to another buyer. That is what I see at the moment rather than putting projects into motion. I could be wrong but...I don't see any concrete proposals at the moment.
They don't seem in a rush at all. Either way, if they see it as a buy and hold, they must see a significant potential to make cash on a flip in that area. I just hope they keep the Marina - I keep a little boat in there.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Trader Joe's interested in the ground floor retail space of the yellow Convention Center garage on Arch.

http://www.philly.com/real-estate/co...eid=54a15f360c
probably not a bad location (sans flower and car show) That said who owns the lot at 13th and Arch

Also re: the convention center, in hind sight why could they not have any foresight in development

If the edges could have had some hotels or apartments and even a few street level store fronts the whole area could be so much more active and pleasing

they could have still allowed for second floor natural light into the center itself and not impeded on the open floor space in the middle

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 6:40 PM

TJs would be great to supplement fresh meats/produce from RTM. And yes, that would also be great for the area in general. Curious location - not where I would have guessed for an East-of-Broad location - but aside from RTM and the Asian markets - there's not a proper grocery store in the NE quadrant of CC. Market East has tons of momentum but not enough I suppose for TJs to co-exist with Mom's. Crazy (good) how CC's grocery store "scene" has exploded in recent years with Sprouts, the new WF, and Moms (am I missing any?).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
TJs would be great to supplement fresh meats/produce from RTM. And yes, that would also be great for the area in general. Curious location - not where I would have guessed for an East-of-Broad location - but aside from RTM and the Asian markets - there's not a proper grocery store in the NE quadrant of CC. Market East has tons of momentum but not enough I suppose for TJs to co-exist with Mom's. Crazy (good) how CC's grocery store "scene" has exploded in recent years with Sprouts, the new WF, and Moms (am I missing any?).
Moms and TJs would be what three blocks from each other

TJs may have found a cheap location with parking attached

just think the car show and flower show weekends will be a time to avoid

also isn't MOMs really more competitive with say a Sprouts or WFs anyway

haven't been in the new sprouts yet need to check it out

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Tomorrow in GHo/Fitler Square, Giant is opening an urban footprint grocery store called Heirloom Market.
https://www.phillyvoice.com/giant-he...uate-hospital/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 7:59 PM

^ Yes, I just read about that and already forgot about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
TJs may have found a cheap location with parking attached
This might be it. If you think about their other CC location (esp when it first opened), you can make the argument that a prime location is not something TJs values highly. TJs certainly has its devotees and a "B" location should not hinder them one bit.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
^ Yes, I just read about that and already forgot about it.

This might be it. If you think about their other CC location (esp when it first opened), you can make the argument that a prime location is not something TJs values highly. TJs certainly has its devotees and a "B" location should not hinder them one bit.
I was talking to Alterra about hopefully putting a Trader Joe's at their building at 15th and Chestnut. Leo said it was a no go for space reasons, but more fundamentally because Trader Joe's will not go to a plot that does not have significant amounts of built-in parking. I have no reason to disbelieve that.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
probably not a bad location (sans flower and car show) That said who owns the lot at 13th and Arch
13th and Arch was/is owned by the City. When the City decided to build a new courthouse north of this lot the plan was to build a separate but connected jail on this lot. The jail was suppose to be used for prisoners who were involved in active 'in-court' cases, with the idea the prisoners wouldn't have to be transported daily to and from the regular City jail in the NE. But as costs went skyward for the courthouse the jail idea got canned. Maybe the City is holding onto the lot hoping to build the jail in the future.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 5:45 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
13th and Arch was/is owned by the City. When the City decided to build a new courthouse north of this lot the plan was to build a separate but connected jail on this lot. The jail was suppose to be used for prisoners who were involved in active 'in-court' cases, with the idea the prisoners wouldn't have to be transported daily to and from the regular City jail in the NE. But as costs went skyward for the courthouse the jail idea got canned. Maybe the City is holding onto the lot hoping to build the jail in the future.
Yeah, this is basically all my understanding as well. I also think it was supposed to house offices for the DA and public defenders (I don't think to replace their existing facilities, though?).

The biggest loss tbh was the lack of additional elevators... (if you've ever been to the CJC you know what I mean). I doubt anything will ever get built there but the city will eventually sell the lot to a developer. I think everyone likes having the parking there, though.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 8:22 PM

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
Are they building over the existing structure?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 12:47 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
No, this looks like a major renovation into a hotel from what is known as the old family court. However, the lawn in front is fairly new as that was capped last year. This needs to get done. The parkway will be nice when all the projects are done.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Don't think so. Nor do they need to. This building is almost a block long and it is wide. It's modeled after Hotel de Crillon, one of the most luxe hotels in Paris. Not being tall certainly never hurt that hotel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B...illon-Pari.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B4tel_de_Crillon

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
No, this looks like a major renovation into a hotel from what is known as the old family court. However, the lawn in front is fairly new as that was capped last year. This needs to get done. The parkway will be nice when all the projects are done.
I SO wish we could get a damn cap on the expressway from 19th to 16th. Just 3 little blocks. And as you say, part of this block is done already.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 12:56 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I SO wish we could get a damn cap on the expressway from 19th to 16th. Just 3 little blocks. And as you say, part of this block is done already.
I couldn't agree more. If that land the Catholic Church put up for development next to Cathedral Basilica would get developed, I think it would be a better sale and more pressure on the State to get it done. Otherwise, they will cry "no money."

Last edited by iheartphilly; Jan 26, 2019 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 2:09 PM

I've said this before regarding capping 676, but couldn't they build a cap of a highway like 676 that is not intended to support people, parks or cars that would cost way, way less than a full cap, drastically reduce auto noise and pollution and make surrounding plots much more desirable and valuable. Whenever a cap has been proposed, it is always envisioned to support a park with dirt, grass, trees, concrete, stone and the potential for hundreds of people over head. We don't need any more of that in that part of 676 near the parkway.

What I am imagining is a steel frame with some sort of impervious surface as a roof to the highway with vent pipes, drainage and maybe skylights all surrounded by a nice looking fence that would keep people out. Something strong enough to allow maintenance workers access but not all that other park stuff.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 3:51 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
I've said this before regarding capping 676, but couldn't they build a cap of a highway like 676 that is not intended to support people, parks or cars that would cost way, way less than a full cap, drastically reduce auto noise and pollution and make surrounding plots much more desirable and valuable. Whenever a cap has been proposed, it is always envisioned to support a park with dirt, grass, trees, concrete, stone and the potential for hundreds of people over head. We don't need any more of that in that part of 676 near the parkway.

What I am imagining is a steel frame with some sort of impervious surface as a roof to the highway with vent pipes, drainage and maybe skylights all surrounded by a nice looking fence that would keep people out. Something strong enough to allow maintenance workers access but not all that other park stuff.
Maybe...but you know there will be complaints that the industrial "cover" will be an eyesore and a fence will be odd and out of place. I think that's why they go with putting dirt down and grass over it. Grass only needs a min. of 3 inches of soil to grow. Maybe planters all around in front of your fence but then why stop there and not grow grass over the capping.

BTW, I think they did a very nice job with the capping in front of the Family Court. Between the hardscape and softscape elements, it turned out great. That's the best outcome.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. If that land the Catholic Church put up for development next to Cathedral Basilica would get developed, I think it would be a better sale and more pressure on the State to get it done. Otherwise, they will cry "no money."
Yep.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post

Need it? No. But would it knit that part of the City together, connecting it to Center City and be vastly more attractive public space and increase real estate value on those blocks? Ding ding ding. Yes. We don't 'need' a Penn's Landing Cap either. But we're getting one, and that's as it should be. In the longterm, both would/will be very good for the City.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development