HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic City View Post
--To atlantaguy, put your demographics and spread sheet back into your back pocket and sit on it! We don't have the wealth or the numbers down here on the American Gulf Coast compared to Atlanta, but we got water and LOTS of it! LOL.

PENSACOLA, MOBILE, BILOXI/GULFPORT is the American Gulf Coast,
Excuse me? I never once mentioned Atlanta, why the insults?

Speaking of water, what the hell is in yours down there to cause such rude remarks?

I can play though - sit on this!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 4:41 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Geez calm down, both of you. But, I have to agree with Mystic City, just not in such a forward manner.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 4:59 PM
All things are possible

Cool bye, bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Wow - are you ever conversant. Seems you have quite a chip on your shoulder.

Look, a city as large as Mobile given it's location between two other sizable and growing metros should be ashamed at the level of service it offers. Again, I smell something wrong down there. If you don't think it's important, or means anything to the future of your city.........well, just keep thinking that.

Sorry I ducked into this thread.
Sorry enough to go away. We live here and know what is going on. Go argue with your own people. Mobile water is plentiful and good. Put this guy on ignore.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 5:05 PM

Look, I am in the transportation industry. I also have friends here that are from Mobile, and they complain constantly about the air service there.

Sorry I ducked into your inhospitable little bubble of a town. No wonder my friends say they would never move back there - now I understand why.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 5:55 PM
surely you're not serious

Woah... why is everyone over-reacting?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 6:57 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I think people that actually live in Mobile at the moment know the town better than people that only visit occasionally... that's just my opinion. I've only been to Mobile about three times and I have to say that Mobile is a very nice town. I drove down a few days ago to visit with two friends from New York that were doing a service project down there. They commented on how nice the city looked and how beautiful it was.

Every city has something that isn't right with its city, that fact that people know that Mobile's air service isn't the best just means we know what we need to fix. Instead of rapping on how terrible it is down there, why not tell us how it can improve? Maybe, if you're so passionate about making Mobile sound as bad as possible you could try sending an email to some official down there to help them make it a better place.

What is it with people in this world and always shouting out the terrible things about a place instead of trying to suggest ways to improve it?

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 9:25 PM
---

Mobile's air-serivce blows, the water is beautiful, david whetstone is probably drunk right now and airport blvd is terrible.

we all know the basics in life. lets move on.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Porpoise View Post
Mobile's air-serivce blows, the water is beautiful, david whetstone is probably drunk right now and airport blvd is terrible.

we all know the basics in life. lets move on.
Very well said and probably a perfect "nail in the coffin" if you will for this thread.

Can a moderator lock this so everyone can move on to the next drama filled issue?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 9:53 PM
Administrator

Instead of locking it, let's just try and be decent to each other.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 10:35 PM
All things are possible

Enough of the Airport

Kill this thread. We all know the airport is a problem and both Mobile and Pensacola are nice places to live.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 11:17 PM

Unfortunately, this thread has centered on Mobile's worst problem.

Mobile and Pensacola are both cities with very comparable histories but very different relationships with their respective states. Pensacola, unfortunately, seems to be an afterthought in their state and is dismissed as just "a panhandle city", but Mobile seems to be more "accepted" in its state. I think it stems from Mobile being the state's only port and a lifeline for many industries in Alabama. Pensacola has the misfortune of having to compete within its own state for some kind of notoriety and for some reason it has transcended its own city government. The city politicians keep their state's perceived personality of being against large job centers like "dirty" manufacturing plants as an economic boost. A great example of this is the neglect its port feels.

I think these two traits set apart people's outlooks and perspective on the respective cities and form a misinterpreted opinion of each.

Basically, Mobile seems to receive much better treatment from the state of Alabama than Florida gives to Pensacola.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Instead of locking it, let's just try and be decent to each other.
WEAK moderation to have such a STRONG (and cool) avatar!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 1:04 AM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSky View Post
Because everyone is over reacting.

People getting butt hurt on the Internet over their city, hah!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 6:28 AM

How did this thread get to be so long? I thought we had established this already:

Pensacola's raw metro numbers are bigger than you would think because the city proper's population is so small, but Mobile is the more prominent and bigger city overall.

EOD.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 7:23 AM

I like your post SouthSky. I know Mobile has to deal with a few state leaders who think B'Ham-Huntsville is the only game in town too. I've read a few quotes from those guys regarding South Alabama that make me wanna puke over their ignorance and arrogance. So it goes both ways now and then. For me, I have a pretty big love/hate relationship with 'Cola as a life-long resident. I've always wanted and hoped for the best, and I always stay pretty disappointed. The obvious reply to that would be "get realistic about your city". But the funny thing about that is, when you consider everything that the area really always had to offer naturally, my thoughts about what P'cola could/should be are anything but unrealistic. The reality it has become was a more unlikely series of events than my visions for it, IMO. It's hard to accept what might have been had this area been a part of Bama for the last 100 years, I should add.

I hope what I've written earlier in this thread didn't come off as negative in any way towards Mobile. If anything, I admire what they have done and continue to do and beg Pensa to buy most of the blueprint. My only reason for getting roused in the first place was the almost dismissal of the pop. figures as erroneous or whatever. Yes, there really is a place where 450,000 people work in Circle K convenience stores!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 3:31 PM
Roll Tide!

Can't we all just get along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSky View Post
All of us from the great cities on the French Gulf Coast, i.e. Pensacola, Pascagoula, Mobile, Biloxi, New Orleans, etc, share a common history and tradition. I am proud of Mobile, and all of our "cousin" cities! Yes, we in Mobile know our air service is dismal, but hopefully that will change with time. Remember to keep the animosity directed to where it belongs, at those d*mned Yankees!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!!!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 8:26 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherNFTL View Post
All of us from the great cities on the French Gulf Coast, i.e. Pensacola, Pascagoula, Mobile, Biloxi, New Orleans, etc, share a common history and tradition. I am proud of Mobile, and all of our "cousin" cities! Yes, we in Mobile know our air service is dismal, but hopefully that will change with time. Remember to keep the animosity directed to where it belongs, at those d*mned Yankees!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!!!

ol and I agree with you man when I was living in Huntsville I often ran into people from P-cola, Miss Gulf Coast and the NoLa area and foung more commen ground with them than I did with cities from the rst of the state. P-cola is like our little cousin man we are all the same the French Gulf Coast P-cola is a 40 -45 min drive away come on cultural we are all the same !!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 2:15 AM
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_of_Bama View Post
ol and I agree with you man when I was living in Huntsville I often ran into people from P-cola, Miss Gulf Coast and the NoLa area and foung more commen ground with them than I did with cities from the rst of the state. P-cola is like our little cousin man we are all the same the French Gulf Coast P-cola is a 40 -45 min drive away come on cultural we are all the same !!
Very true. It is easy to pick out someone from the gulf coast in central Alabama. I have to stick up for Pensacola...even if they were Mobile's biggest rival on the ice.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 7:29 AM

It's all 1 big blur from Bay St. Louis to Pensacola. Just Consolidate the Mississippi, Alabama, and NW Florida Metros into 1 single metro.

Eventually the majority of the countryside that acts as a gap between the cities will fade, so it's just preparing for what's most likely to happen.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
It's all 1 big blur from Bay St. Louis to Pensacola. Just Consolidate the Mississippi, Alabama, and NW Florida Metros into 1 single metro.

Eventually the majority of the countryside that acts as a gap between the cities will fade, so it's just preparing for what's most likely to happen.
I agree completely, even though it'll be 15 years before it will happen. I think the Mobile-Pensacola gap will be filled prior to the Mississippi-Mobile gap, though. But, that could be sped up when the west Mobile bypass/loop gets finished up in just over a decade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast