HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 8:32 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

With Mississippi Counties that border Mobile County: Jackson,Greene,and George then + Mobile,Baldwin and and Washington County ,Alabama and add Escambia county, Santa Rosa county ,Florida in the mix that is about 1.3 or even 1.4 million right there - 8 counties. I know the Mobile local newstation viewing area covers the counties that are mentioned. Once the loop is complete , I-10 is 3 laned from The Mississippi state line all the way to Pensacola , and I -65 3 laned from Mobile county through the Baldwin County area that it runs through then gap will be filled.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 12:33 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

I'd like to see a skyline comparison. Not sure what they are, to tell the truth.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 12:40 AM
All things are possible

misleading thread name

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
I'd like to see a skyline comparison. Not sure what they are, to tell the truth.
There is no comparison. It is a case of a false post. The MSA containing Pensacola is larger than the MSA of Mobile...take it for whatever it is worth.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 12:52 AM
surely you're not serious

Mobile's skyline (from wikipedia):

Pensacola's skyline:

(Sorry, I can't find a higher resolution and newer one?)

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 1:52 AM

Southsky, lol. It actually hasn't improved much in Pensacola (and probably never will (darn the timing of this housing bust....with all those dt condos going down)). But that pic of P'cola is before there was an I-110 spur, there was still a Municipal Auditorium in that pic, still a San Carlos Hotel, no Grand Hotel (15 floors) or that big white slab bank building (12 floors I think)...several government buildings in the 5-6 floor range, several 6-8 story type office buildings, no Civic Center (which also should bug yall like the airport stuff bugs yall, since it also kicks the Mobile one to death) and no Port Royal. Might as well post a pic of when the Spanish first tried to build a fort here in the 1400's. Maybe that'd be a painting.

Of course, no one has bothered to take a newer pic of that area since (what? 1950?) as everything I just mentioned doesn't really do a lot to make it look any more significant vs. the likes of Mobile.

There simply is no comparison in economic terms between the two cities. None. I only post here every now and then to combat the overreaction that P'cola = Monroeville or Mayberry. It isn't the one redlight town it gets portrayed as in an attempt to show how much more economically vibrant Mobile is. I don't find the population numbers to be meaningless or in error regardles of all other inequalities.

It's hard to imagine what was once the capitol and largest population of Florida has come to this. I think the San Carlos was once the largest hotel in the South (circa 1920). LOL. Look where we've come. Just a bunch of people doing not much important. It is truly sad. Nevertheless, it isn't quite the joke it gets made out to be here by any stretch.

Last edited by Muskavon; Feb 16, 2009 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 2:26 AM

Lets update that Mobile Picture. That one of our "skyline" doesnt even show off our best assets.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 2:33 AM

Fine Nim...if you want to play the game of One-upmanship in the updated photo category, I submit to you Pensacola in a later update than that sad 1956 photo Sky produced:

So there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 2:55 AM
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskavon View Post

There simply is no comparison in economic terms between the two cities. None. I only post here every now and then to combat the overreaction that P'cola = Monroeville or Mayberry. It isn't the one redlight town it gets portrayed as in an attempt to show how much more economically vibrant Mobile is. I don't find the population numbers to be meaningless or in error regardles of all other inequalities.
Everybody knows what Pensacola is like. It is a great town but it hasnt added many things that larger cities have in order to gain regional recognition. Plus it is somewhat of a forgotten city in the state since it is pretty much part of Alabama. Whether it is right or wrong people just see it as more of a beach town. Little things specific to a city add to it's image like Mardi Gras, food, sports teams, etc. Pensacola doesnt have much of a regional identity and that is sad because of its rich culture.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 3:25 AM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

No No don`t put your town down like that man. P-cola and Mobile is alike in many ways both were the largest cities in our state and both were neglected and forgotten by our state at one time. The founder of Detroit use to live in Mobile Mr.Cadillack him self. Mobile was founded by the same French brothers who found New Orleans but I believe Mobile is like 80 years older. Mobile has been passed up by B-ham,NO,and Detroit. Mobile and P-cola should be the premiere cities of the south right now but the potential and growth died somewhere.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 3:32 AM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimsjus View Post
Lets update that Mobile Picture. That one of our "skyline" doesnt even show off our best assets.
Oh yeah that isn`t an up todate pic of Mobile either Nim. lol

I like the sky line from I-165 and I-10 better

Last edited by Port_of_Bama; Feb 16, 2009 at 3:50 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 3:47 AM
Oak City

Pensacola skyline:

Mobile skyline:

Last edited by initiald; Mar 9, 2017 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 3:49 AM

Good responses Porpoise and Port. I get a bit defensive while also being upset at where this town is. Porpoise, I know most people in the greater area who read this and respond know what Pensacola is and isn't, I basically write these posts for the sake of the likes of StevenW from Baltimore, now in South Carolina. If he goes by the overdone contrast in posts and pics...Pensacola would certainly leave him with an impression of the equivelant to Prosperity, SC (down the road from him). Many more like him that have no clue of either one of our towns certainly visit this thread at least once (1,500+ views). I just can't accept letting that perception go that bad no matter how much I am mad at this city. We do have a tiny Mardi Gras (but not the same Catholic base to make it as big originally as in NO or Mobile). We do have a great history of failed sports teams, lol.

It is all sad, but you know what....the funny thing is Mobile gives me hope actually. For many of the reasons "Port of Bama" said. You guys were once right there with us in decay (like only 20 years ago). What a turn around. Who knows what could happen here with the right leadership, less resistance from NIMBY fuddy duddy's and luck. The place has the natural resources in place to make something happen. As upset as people are here watching what Mobile is doing....one day we are gonna vote out enough jerk-offs to make strides.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 3:32 PM
All things are possible

Mobile loves Pensacola

Pensacola is like a sister city to us...and I mean a real sister. Pensacola has great people, beautiful beaches, good food and boundless potential. My wife and I regularly come over for the downtown art festivals and have a great time. A skyline is nice but it is the people who make the city and Pensacola has my kind of people....friendly.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_of_Bama View Post
Oh yeah that isn`t an up todate pic of Mobile either Nim. lol

I like the sky line from I-165 and I-10 better
Youre right. No Hampton or spire on the Riverview. It was the newest I had. I guess that means I need to do another photo tour of downtown.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 5:34 AM
native Mobilian

I know that this thread has been dead for a year, but I gotta chime in! I got a kick outta reading all of your posts and relished everything you said because the French Gulf Coast is my heart and soul, no matter where I am. Some of you commented on how you could recognize people from the Gulf Coast in areas farther north and I wholeheartedly agree! I lived in Birmingham for a while and I had the same experience. I related better with people from anywhere on the French Gulf Coast than I did in my own home state up there in north Alabama. It's amazing the difference that I sensed between the regions.

In the same spirit, the people of Mobile and the people of Pensacola consider each other family. I live in Florida and when I tell others where I am from and they are not familiar with Mobile, I always say it's close to Pensacola and I get a warm feeling inside knowing how the two cities have a unique relationship.

Pensacola has great assets to be proud of. It isn't a tourist magnet for nothing. That's something Mobile is pretty envious of. And, yes, Pensacola's airport definitely makes Mobile's look pathetic. So, cheer up, Pensacolans. You have a beautiful city.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 6:55 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

I agree !! When I was living in Huntsville I was able to connect with people from the Gulf Coast immediately.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 1:36 PM

mobile al

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvol85 View Post
There are a ton of CDP's in Escambia county, though, so Pensacola's 53,000 or so people is a little deceiving. Pensacola city limits only take up about 23 sq miles, which is tiny.

Population of CDP's bordering Pensacola (or close in):

Bellview - 21,201 (11.8 sq mi)
Brent - 22,257 (10.4)
Ensley - 18,752 (12.3)
Ferry Pass - 27,176 (14.1)
Gonzalez - 11,365 (15.3)
Goulding - 4,484 (1.2)
Myrtle Grove - 17,211 (6.6)
Warrington - 15,207 (6.6)
West Pensacola - 21,939 (7.4)

Pensacola - 56,255 (22.7)

If Pensacola were to suddenly annex it's unincorporated neighbors, it would have a population of about 216,000 in an area of about 108 square miles (density of about 2,000/sq mi)....which seems more appropriate for a city supporting a 440-450,000 metro.

Mobile's figures for the 2000 census give it a population of 198,915 in an area of 118 square miles....so the two places are strikingly similar if you put them in that context.

However, having been to both places, Mobile feels bigger than Pensacola anyways.
mobile is alot bigger than penscola fl mobile area is not 118 square miles it's 159.9 square milles mobile is growing larger2016

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 2:56 PM

Silly thread. That said, I've been impressed by Pensacola's infill efforts and vibe. Great little city with a unique history and some fine architecture.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast