HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 11:57 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

LOS ANGELES | Park Fifth | 255 FT | 24 FLOORS

Function: Mixed-use | 615 units | 17,000 SF retail
Architect: Harvey Ellis Devereaux
Developer: MacFarlane Partners
Timeline: N/A

I present to you Park Fifth's stunning new replacement...

Quote:

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...downsized.html

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 11:59 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Add this to the all-too-familiar "what could've been" shelf:

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 12:06 AM
them bones

Ugh...
I fully realize that the economics aren't there for Park Fifth, but that design is brutally uninteresting for such a visible site.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 12:40 AM
BANNED

let's just face it. LA is just not that great of a city. collectively we're large, but size alone doesn't guarantee greatness. we don't have big thinkiers, or influential people. at least not in proportion to our population. we have a huge population of do-nothings scrounging by on a low income, and a relatively small population of (mostly unelightened) movers and shakers to actually make things happen. Our big safety-crutch is our size, and the media.

we talk bigger than we are. It's the essence of hollywood. hence, the countless too big for reality proposals which never come to fruition.

Last edited by edluva; Feb 17, 2014 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 12:43 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Ugh...
I fully realize that the economics aren't there for Park Fifth, but that design is brutally uninteresting for such a visible site.
Park Fifth was my favorite project (along with the original 8th/Grand proposal) not so much because of the height but rather the way the configuration was influenced by the historic context of the surrounding buildings. The 150-foot cornice line of both the Title Guarantee and Subway Terminal Buildings were cleverly used as datums.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
let's just face it. LA is just not that great of a city. collectively we're large, but size alone doesn't guarantee greatness. we don't have big thinkiers, or influential people. at least not in proportion to our population. we have a huge population of do-nothings scrounging by on a low income, and a relatively small population of (mostly unelightened) movers and shakers to actually make things happen. Our big safety-crutch is our size, and the media.

we talk bigger than we are. It's the essence of hollywood. hence, the countless too big for reality proposals which never come to fruition.

That's just your opinion. I'll take LA's creative class over DC's political scene. I've already met many people from the DC area who relocated to LA who think the same thing.
What's so great about people doing federal government work the rest of their lives? These are the big thinkers? I know people who were in the Justice department. They had very low opinions of their educated workers, calling them lazy bums. Yes, in the Justice Department.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 3:21 PM

Yeah, this is a disappointment. And no mention of any money towards the redevelopment of Pershing Square?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 6:23 AM

edluva's right....

Los Angeles has been cursed with a way of doing things in a "self destructive" fashion since the end of World War 2. It started with destroying Pershing Square, and the modernization (stucco-ization) of so many great old buildings. ....The others just became parking lots. The latest thing is Grand Ave Park. It's lacking the most basic component of parks everywhere : trees. After seeing Golden Gate Park, or even the basic urban green space in any other city, one looks at Grand Ave Park and asks "WTH ?" Why is it so hard to do in this city what comes naturally in any other city ? Can anyone think of any other city that lines it's river in cement ? ...So yes the Park Fifth stand-in exactly what we were expecting. Still it's one less parking lot.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 7:03 AM

what a disappointment

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 8:19 AM

IF this building gets built as proposed. To forget about height for a second, the building design itself will look jaded as soon as its completed. meaning. When/if its built like this, it will look as if its been there forever, the tower and the 7 story box that is being pushed behind the building, they both look dated already. I'm not one to care about having a gold standard design for every building proposed downtown, but at this specific location that is zoned for something much much more, I think im a little more picky because of that. Comparing this proposal to the old original proposal, minus the height factor, the original proposal did more to combine the old building with the new building... in my opinion. The height for the original proposal was just an added bonus but in my opinion wasn't a must have with the original plans... this current proposal should be pushed somewhere in south park... would fit in better. If you look at the tower long enough... it looks like Apex but with defined windows....

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I present to you Park Fifth's stunning new replacement...
Wow. Not quite my definition of "stunning." I'd say incredibly dissappointing for such a primetime space. You only have so many prime locations....it's unfortunate that this one was lost.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 8:18 PM

it can still be saved, we should all message huizar, and the city about this mistake, and that this land is entitled for so much more, not just let it go to waste.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
it can still be saved, we should all message huizar, and the city about this mistake, and that this land is entitled for so much more, not just let it go to waste.
Exactly. I did my part. Emailed both Macfarlane and Huizars office. This should not be allowed.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 1:53 AM

http://www.globest.com/news/12_891/l...ds-347683.html

Park Fifth Development Site Trades Hands

LOS ANGELES—Africa-Israel USA has sold Park Fifth, a 2.27-acre development site in Downtown Los Angeles at the corner of Fifth and Olive Streets, to the MacFarlane Partners. The buyer plans to develop a mid-rise and high-rise mixed-use complex on the site. The sale transaction began late last year, GlobeSt.com reported earlier. The transaction had taken nine months of negotiations before entering escrow, and has now closed eight months later.

The sales price of the transaction was undisclosed, however, according to Chagit Sofiev-Leviev, CEO of Africa-Israel USA, the firm sold the site for 50% more than it was valued two years ago. That illustrates not only the recovering real estate market but also the rising prices of land in the downtown submarket.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 1:17 PM

5-OH is re-rebranded as Park Fifth and re-redesigned by Ankram Moisan (Luma, Elleven). Planned number of units is up to 660 from the previous 615, though building heights are staying the same.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...023-story.html

Park Fifth development to fill in missing piece in downtown L.A.

by Roger Vincent

Quote:
One of the most prominent lots in Los Angeles, vacant for nearly three decades, is getting a new occupant.

A San Francisco development firm has filed plans to build a high-rise apartment building facing historic Pershing Square in the heart of downtown Los Angeles....

Plans call for a long podium structure of two stories holding a mid-rise tower of seven stories and a high-rise tower of 24 stories. Shops and restaurants would line the sidewalks of 5th and Hill streets.

The ample rooftop of the podium would be fitted out as recreation and lounging space for the tenants, with a swimming pool, Jacuzzi-type spa, an outdoor movie theater, barbecues and a dining area. An indoor-outdoor gym would open onto a courtyard.

The roof of the mid-rise would have a lounge with more barbecues and a fireplace. On top of the high-rise would be another swimming pool, spa, dining area and indoor-outdoor gym....

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 3:36 PM

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...ark-fifth.html

Tower has been redesigned by Ankrom Moisan Architects, now will stand 255 feet tall

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 4:01 PM
Show me the blueprints

It just keeps getting worse. This latest design looks like something from the early 2000s. Horrible.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 5:56 PM

The original redesign was significantly better than this.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:05 PM

Some additional elevation plans from the Park Fifth DLANC presentation:

Source: http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...ark-fifth.html

Source: http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...ark-fifth.html

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 10:12 PM

boo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive