HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 12:10 AM
tilted & shifted

Exciting news about LSE! I posted the site plan below for reference. Also, some may recall the original proposal for site O. God let's hope they came up with a different design.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Exciting news about LSE! I posted the site plan below for reference. Also, some may recall the original proposal for site O. God let's hope they came up with a different design.
For Site O, I'd like to see them use the east half of the lot to build something tall and skinny – something that breaks the height of BCBS and the plateau it creates on the north side of the park, like a smaller 111 W. 57th that tapers down into LSE park – while using the western half of the lot to put in a couple lowrise buildings that add a more granular, human scale a bit lacking in the area.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 1:23 AM

This is the new Image provided in the link. It looks like we're not just getting rectangular boxes on the lakefront sites!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 2:45 AM

Site O has to be pretty huge....up to over 1200 units. Shame it is located there instead of one of the other sites...it will be obscured by the other buildings.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 3:15 AM
Small but Mighty

I am not sure where to begin. This is a rather bittersweet moment. Sure, it is likely that these buildings will take at least 5 more years to complete, but I can't believe LSE is almost done. LSE is a truly amazing accomplishment. Easily one of the greatest mega-developments in the history of the city. However, we will have to see if it will soon* be outdone by the 60 acre parcel in the South Loop.

*soon=20 years

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 4:10 AM

Damn, 2040 units and 926 hotel rooms across four buildings. Just when we think this boom was about to slowdown, we get a deluge of development news this past week (300 unit proposal for the North Branch, initial plans for Holy Name site, Wolf Point East receiving permits, LSE news)

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueltorres View Post
This is the new Image provided in the link. It looks like we're not just getting rectangular boxes on the lakefront sites!

Basically we've seen a reduction in the number of buildings and a shifting of units and FAR.

Also, it looks like LendLease is in and McHugh is out? McHugh has built the majority of the towers in LSE. I wonder what LL is bringing to the table $$?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 10:47 AM

In the grand scheme of things, none of this is really game-changing demographically. It is certainly slowly transforming the skyline. But 2,000 units represents what, 5,000 people?

It doesn't necessarily represent a historic counter flow of suburbanites back to the city.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
In the grand scheme of things, none of this is really game-changing demographically. It is certainly slowly transforming the skyline. But 2,000 units represents what, 5,000 people?

It doesn't necessarily represent a historic counter flow of suburbanites back to the city.
Lol. Who said it does? The overall 15,000 units currently under construction and record breaking market absorbtion in what has been the fastest growing urban core in the country on the other hand is mighty positive.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 2:20 PM

Not to take away from something exciting, but just a little bit more news. 172 N Ada St (Lake and Ada). 13 stories, 264 units. Architect is Brininstool & Lynch.

Source: https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/us/172-n-ada

Home of the former Takis Royal Foods, which was purchased by Sterling Back some 3 years ago and demolished a few years back. Will basically be next door to Bottom Lounge.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/17...7!4d-87.661139

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 4:07 PM

wow to LSE

seems no other supertall though

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
wow to LSE

seems no other supertall though
Perhaps Site O could be one with the size of the programing, especially if massing was concentrated on a portion of the long site.

However, it is not surprising if another supertall doesn't sprout here. Reilly implied that the approval of Vista also brought about a lowering of the height caps elsewhere in Lakeshore East. Of course the technical details are always flushed out when the next buildings are proposed, but I can really see him putting his thumb on the heights of the remaining buildings. Site O is already surrounding by big (and mostly office and hotel) buildings, so less of an issue.

I'm really hoping the Wacker-LSD corner could have building massings combined for something truly spectacular. This is one of the key sites in the city where height really does matter most, especially as the eventual building by default will have very little interaction at street level.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 6:56 PM
1st Ward

Wow, its almost like the end of an era with LSE. I remember being blown away by its initial announcement back when I was attending UIC a dozen or so years ago (ugh, I feel old), and have been giddily following its progress ever since.

Hope the final buildings are designed well, because like BuildThemTaller said, they are going to be very prominent and visible for a long time.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 6:58 PM

Very exciting about LSE too. That's a lot of new units and hotel rooms being proposed. Is there any commercial space part of this too? I'd assume with hotels that would be the case

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 6:59 PM
Plenary pleasures.

IIRC, Vista was upzoned for additional height, but the trade-off was a reduction in height for parcel 'O'

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 7:03 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
IIRC, Vista was upzoned for additional height, but the trade-off was a reduction in height for parcel 'O'
Better that way, IMHO. Site O is going to be blocked by the surrounding high rises anyway, so more height there wouldn't really amount to much as far as the skyline is concerned.

Vista however, because of its riverfront location, is going to have a much more dramatic effect.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 7:34 PM

Couldn't developers use the Neighborhood Opportunity Fund to increase the amount of FAR from it's initial amount? I would imagine LSE residents coming out in swarms to prevent any FAR increase, but it's still an option.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:12 PM

Making cities more dense always sparks resistance. Here’s how to overcome it.

"NIMBYs are not necessarily the problem. They are behaving normally for humans. The problem is politicians and other decision-makers who know better, who don’t do the right thing because of NIMBY fear. If you’ve had a long process, heard from thousands of people, investigated and understood the technical issues, know your aspirations as a city, and you let 10 or 15 individuals at the last minute show up at council and turn it down? I don’t blame those 15 individuals, I blame the leaders.

I think we need to train our politicians on how to work with the NIMBY mindset and do the right thing in its context. Doing a “yes,” but a better yes, educated by NIMBY fear."

Great article in Vox with an interview of Brent Toderian... should be must reading for all our pandermen...

https://www.vox.com/2017/6/20/15815490/toderian-nimbys

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 3:23 PM

Very excited about the LSE proposals. As a resident, I'll definitely be at the presentation. I'm slightly concerned about that. My wife, who has NIMBYesque tendencies, is upset by the number of hotel keys, especially on the corner lot. Hopefully she's not representative. It'll also be interesting to see what they have proposed for the non -highrise space in that lot, since the original renderings seemed to show green space.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 4:20 PM

625 West Adams

June 21

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations