HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 1:55 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I watched them do it last year. They ground out the area where the lines were in the existing asphalt and then a crew with an airless sprayer came in and painted the opening.

I thought this was incorrect so I went and had a closer look.

In the pavement recesses there is an insert that is made of hard plastic or rubber. The surface is a raised diamond texture much like the decks of an expensive yacht. This is likely to increase reflectivity and/or traction over these surfaces.

What you most likely saw was the application of the adhesive to bond the inserts in place.

This morning I did see that one of the inserts appeared broken, so there will surely be some maintenance involved.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:56 PM

You are probably correct, I thought that the texture was the grinding texture showing through the paint.

It is a way better than the water based paint that the city uses for the rest of the pavement marking on the streets.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:13 PM
BANNED

When we were discussing the Disraeli a few years back someone mentioned that the pedestrian walkway on one side of the bridge would be eliminated and become part of the roadway, since the lanes on the new bridge seem fairly narrow where is this at? Three pedestrian walkways at the same location seems redundant!

Wonder if even the separate pedestrian (active transportation) bridge was even needed, any time I cross the Disraeli there is never anyone using the ped. bridge. Probably money that could have been better spent elsewhere!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:25 PM

Wonder if even the separate pedestrian (active transportation) bridge was even needed, any time I cross the Disraeli there is never anyone using the ped. bridge. Probably money that could have been better spent elsewhere![/QUOTE]

I used that bridge once when biking home to EK from the downtown and really had to go out of my way to use it. Its a beautiful bridge to nowhere I guess..

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:38 PM

It's really nice, but there is no connectivity to any pathway system. It's basically just another sidewalk. If the City could connect it to the pathway along gateway/raleigh on the north side, that would be good.

But on the south side, it just kind of dumps you into Pointe Douglas. You can use the Annabella street path thing. It'll get you down across Higgins to the pathway along the river. So that's okay I guess. But it's not the nicest of travels through that area. All depends on where you're going too.

Judy wants to quadruple AT spending.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:42 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
When we were discussing the Disraeli a few years back someone mentioned that the pedestrian walkway on one side of the bridge would be eliminated and become part of the roadway, since the lanes on the new bridge seem fairly narrow where is this at? Three pedestrian walkways at the same location seems redundant!

Wonder if even the separate pedestrian (active transportation) bridge was even needed, any time I cross the Disraeli there is never anyone using the ped. bridge. Probably money that could have been better spent elsewhere!
There is only a sidewalk on the east side of the bridge, none on the west side.

The AT bridge sits completely unused. Cyclists ride on the main bridge, pedestrians walk on the nice sidewalk.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's really nice, but there is no connectivity to any pathway system. It's basically just another sidewalk. If the City could connect it to the pathway along gateway/raleigh on the north side, that would be good.
That's exactly it. It probably won't see a critical mass of users until it becomes part of a larger AT network.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 7:32 PM

I do see people in the middle promenade looking out on the river from time to time.

It does irk me though after all the fuss that bike to the future made about the AT bridge being required to see bikes on the vehicle one especially in rush hour traffic.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 12:52 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the ped bridge is needed its part of a bike network and is nice to have

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 12:53 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

now if we could get one in south point douglas to whiter park

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 5:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the ped bridge is needed its part of a bike network and is nice to have
A bike network to where? What would have been wrong with a wider ped./bike lane on the new bridge, seems to me that's where most who cross the river on foot or bike would rather be anyway.

A dedicated active transportation bridge that starts off a side walk to the north and to a side walk to the south really made little sense, I mean really what the hell was the point?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:16 PM

I used the new bridge last month when biking home to EK from the downtown and I really had to go out of my way to use it. They did a nice job on it but it really is out on its own and not connected to any network. It seems like you would need a lot of work to connect it to anything. Maybe continue the bike path along Waterfront to Higgins then straight up Annabella?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 4:07 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
Maybe continue the bike path along Waterfront to Higgins then straight up Annabella?
This presently exists. It is a nice trail but it is barely used.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan