HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 1:30 PM
More transit please

Future render of the Bell Centre area made by Cadillac Fairview, with the new design for TDC 2 and 3. The only projects missing are the Holiday Inn, between E-Commerce Place and YUL, and Deloitte because it was in the way I guess.

http://ocpm.qc.ca/sites/ocpm.qc.ca/f...f/P76/7a11.pdf

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 6:33 PM
Community Guy

Mad skillz bro!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 8:18 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Edmonton really needs it. Was such a weird city to explore the downtown of.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 8:45 PM
Community Guy

Indeed, but how so?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 1:18 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Indeed, but how so?
Some areas seemed like the best urban environment outside of the big three and then you go two blocks and you've got a sea of parking lots with a big box futureshop.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Some areas seemed like the best urban environment outside of the big three and then you go two blocks and you've got a sea of parking lots with a big box futureshop.

So you were saw 104 St but then went west? Sounds about right.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 1:27 AM
Community Guy

Haha indeed.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 1:39 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post

So you were saw 104 St but then went west? Sounds about right.
I went a few directions. East of 97 St I saw a sign for a China town in the middle of a bunch of parking lots. A lot between 104 and Jasper was patchy too.

I kind of wish I'd had more than a day in most of the cities out west. (I think I saw everything for Regina and Saskatoon, but all the others...)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 2:33 AM

I also find Edmonton's downtown very peculiar.

You have parking garages beside restaurants beside office buildings beside residential towers beside a parking lot beside a chain store etc. There is absolutely no continuity to the place. There is no where to actually go to "people watch" because it is so disjointed.

Tons of buildings but no urbanity. If been to every major city in the country save PEI/NB and I can't think of any city that has the same built form as Edmonton.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

You have parking garages beside restaurants beside office buildings beside residential towers beside a parking lot beside a chain store etc. There is absolutely no continuity to the place. There is no where to actually go to "people watch" because it is so disjointed.

Tons of buildings but no urbanity. If been to every major city in the country save PEI/NB and I can't think of any city that has the same built form as Edmonton.
Assuming that's true, DT Edmonton will become one hell of an amazing place if it fills up due to the mixed use.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 3:10 PM
Community Guy

^^
^Exactly. Edmonton has the opportunity to become one of the most mixed-use cores/areas in the country. We already have a very mixed use core and it is simply getting better.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 5:04 PM
Community Guy

More mad skillz.

Large box on the right is Norquest College's $160,000,000.00 expansion

original image from lostcook on c2e (thanks!)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 9:17 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I'm not gonna lie - Edmonton really is kind of a weird city compared to other cities in Canada.

Thankfully, there's a lot less in the way of parking lots due to the arena and the new towers u/c, and even less within a few years, assuming the local economy doesn't tank a la 1990s. Before all that, it was like that pic of 1970s Houston with its ginormous sea of parking lots (it was so bad I've heard that some forumers tried to have that pic banned). But there's still a lot of parking lots out there for sure.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 10:03 PM

Good news is that its all changing dramatically. And 3 to 5 years out. You will see an absolutely vibrant downtown Edmonton. And it will continue in its awesomeness there after

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 10:32 PM
BANNED

Their inner-city's great if you're into gravel lots, scrap yard architecture, and crumbling infrastructure though lol.

Was just there a month ago, wasn't really surprised in how little has changed. Couldn't wait to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 10:47 PM
I am the law!

There's few solid blocks of ten to 15 storey towers but, it just pales in comparison to the number of parking lot and disposable one/two storey filler.

It looks like it has finally reached that much talked about boom with a couple 1000 units or more under construction. I just don't know how long it can be sustained. It's not like the city hasn't been booming the last decade but, it has only average a few hundred units with one to three mid to high rise developments in the downtown area per year. I suspect we'll be back to that or less once everything currently being built is completed. A fair amount is on spec afterall. The arena district alone should satisfy high rise demand for a few years.

At this rate, none of us will see if the downtown area will reach that potential.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Their inner-city's great if you're into gravel lots, scrap yard architecture, and crumbling infrastructure though lol.

Was just there a month ago, wasn't really surprised in how little has changed. Couldn't wait to leave.
Pal..there must be a mental health facility where you live...use it!

I kinda feel sorry for you.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 2:24 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Edmonton does win by having a subway. Gives it more of a big city feel than the competition on that front.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 4:28 AM

I think DT Edmonton's going to be fantastic in a few years! Lot's of high-rise, mix-use stuff!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 6:52 AM

Meh.

It's not for everyone.

Tbh, one of the greatest changes in Edmonton over the last ten years has been a tendency to not care what the rest of the country thinks anymore. And this is coming from a place that was steeped in insecurity and "please like us" for a long time.

There's lots to improve, but seems most of the people here thrive on that. If you need a city that feels finished, Edmonton is not for you. If you need a city that feels mostly done, and is just adding things in here and there, then there are other places to be. Like a good game of sim city? Edmonton is a frustrating, yet sometimes incredibly rewarding set up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada