HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Most connected to Asia?
San Francisco and the Bay area 17 17.17%
Los Angeles 23 23.23%
NYC 2 2.02%
Seattle 3 3.03%
Vancouver (BC) 26 26.26%
Toronto 5 5.05%
Sydney 5 5.05%
Melbourne 0 0%
Honolulu, Hawaii 12 12.12%
Other 6 6.06%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 11:55 PM

BTW, any idea what percentage of LA Iranians are Jewish? Maybe 20%?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 11:57 PM
Babylon falling

How come LAX or SFO dont have direct flights to Ho Chi Minh City? California has a massive Vietnamese pop and thr economy of that country is exploding I would assume they would have a flight.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
I think it is for the best if we stick to the data published by national statistical organisations, otherwise the picture becomes muddied.

I recently pulled together the following graphic which shows the leading city destination for London, New York and Toronto. Quite interesting how there are more Canadians in London than New York, and more Americans in London than Toronto.

Source: StatsCan, USCB + ONS
Is this the number of people of that national origin, immigrants or descendants?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
How come LAX or SFO dont have direct flights to Ho Chi Minh City? California has a massive Vietnamese pop and thr economy of that country is exploding I would assume they would have a flight.
Maybe because a lot of Vietnamese Americans are refugees from when the Vietnam war was lost and the communists took over, and didn't plan on returning?

War refugees who fled and left everything behind tend not to return as much, especially if their old life was destroyed and they've built a new life in the US.

By contrast, economic migrants and expats, or people who left voluntarily not for political/war reasons are more likely to go back and forth between the home/ancestral country.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Does Canada classify Persians as Asian? In the U.S. they would fall into caucasian - white category.
In Canada the category "West Asian" would probably be meant to include them, though to what extent they follow this self-identification I'm not sure.

Canada doesn't really have a blanket "Asian" category anyways -- individual Asian groups are listed separately like South Asian, West Asian, Chinese, etc., unlike the US which defines a large "Asian" category, and to get the number of Asian Canadians, you'd just have to sum it up yourself based on adding the categories that represent Asia, based on which one you want to include/exclude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The Canadian and U.S. % white will not be directly comparable because Middle Eastern and North African populations are white in U.S. context.

In some metros, like say Toronto, or LA, this makes a big difference. Toronto would be "more white" under US rules, and LA "less white" under Canadian rules.

Or, in my neck of the woods, Bay Ridge, Brooklyn probably has the biggest Arab North African population in the Americas (lots of Egyptians, esp., and decent numbers of Algerians and Moroccans, who are rare in the Americas). But the neighborhood per Census is overwhelmingly white.
More than Montreal? Well, if we're talking NYC's metro compared to Montreal's metro I wouldn't be surprised based on sheer size, but I think Montreal's one of the few areas with sizable North African demographics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
In general, different countries census' will always conveive these sorts of subjective concepts a little differently - much like metro populations or anything else. And in Canada's case, statistics on race are a measure of personal identity rather than actual genealogical heritage.
Aren't they all based on personal identity? I mean, no one really is going to check up on whether you're correctly filling in the box. The government's not going to pay for someone's DNA test either. Genealogical heritage itself for people of mixed origins is also often selectively paid attention to -- often people of mixed origins put the most salient group -- eg. someone half-white, half-non-white might put the visible minority group rather than identify as white due to perceived appearance or racialization by others.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Is this the number of people of that national origin, immigrants or descendants?
It details the leading destination of people born in the countries listed. As an example, Toronto is the leading destination for people born in Iran, New York for Russians, London for Nigerians, etc…

Another interesting fact; over half of the foreign-born population of New York (55%) and Toronto (52%) originates from ten countries. The top 10 for London accounts for 39%.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 8:54 PM

How did this go from being a thread about Asian populations to a debate over whether London is "really" more diverse than NYC and Toronto.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
How did this go from being a thread about Asian populations to a debate over whether London is "really" more diverse than NYC and Toronto.
isaidso moved the topic (back in post no.93) away from the discussion around Asia, to one of Toronto’s overall percentage of foreign-born and that it was more diverse than London and New York. Toronto is certainly diverse, but it is dwarfed by the scale of London and New York.

Coming back to the discussion around Asia, I’ve produced another chart which focuses on the FBC’s from Asia.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
isaidso moved the topic (back in post no.93) away from the discussion around Asia, to one of Toronto’s overall percentage of foreign-born and that it was more diverse than London and New York. Toronto is certainly diverse, but it is dwarfed by the scale of London and New York.

Coming back to the discussion around Asia, I’ve produced another chart which focuses on the FBC’s from Asia.

Well, your chart illustrates quite well that Toronto isn't "dwarfed" in Asian population groups by both London and New York by a substantial margin.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Well, your chart illustrates quite well that Toronto isn't "dwarfed" in Asian population groups by both London and New York by a substantial margin.
And the numbers aren't remotely apples-to-apples and useless in the context of the larger discussion. You're comparing basically the entire immigrant population in London to a (substantial) portion of that of NYC and Toronto.

Toronto would look much better compared to London metro-to-metro.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Every thread about city discussions inevitably becomes centred on London, NYC, or Toronto (or pairs of the cities, or all three).

I suppose it beats reading peoples justifications for the latest ignoble Trumpism.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
I think you have got confused. If you reread my post, you will see that the quote you refer to is in terms of foreign-born people from across the globe, whilst the chart is just for FBC’s from Asia.

The Asian foreign-born count for all three cities is 675,000 (Toronto), 900,000 (New York) and 1,135,000 (London).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
And the numbers aren't remotely apples-to-apples and useless in the context of the larger discussion. You're comparing basically the entire immigrant population in London to a (substantial) portion of that of NYC and Toronto.

Toronto would look much better compared to London metro-to-metro.
It’s a comparison of New York, Toronto and London which are probably the three leading candidates in this debate discussing cities, although I haven’t had a chance to review data for Sydney and Melbourne. All data comes from the official statistical agencies of Canada, the US and the UK, and categorically no part or group of either city has been omitted from the city data as you erroneously allude to.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:49 PM

Lots of good info here.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 11:24 PM

With over 90 votes in, Vancouver BC is leading.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 11:44 PM

Well 68% of Vancouver's immigrants were born in Asia, 50% in East and Southeast Asia, 30% in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 12:17 AM

Also, whether accurate or not, a lot of times Asian Vancouverites are portrayed in Canada as often wealthy jet setters who live parts of their lives in Asia and only partly in Canada. Despite Vancouver also having a long-standing Asian population that is more "rooted".

My feel is that this portrayal is less common to Asian residents of other Canadian or US cities -- my impression is there's no image of say Asian Angelinos, or New Yorkers or Torontonians being so transnational (framed in a more positive light, well-connected to their old country, versus framed in a negative less, "less loyal/rooted to their new country/city") or at least relative to Vancouver. Even though actually, Asian Americans statistically are wealthier than Asian Canadians and wealth enables the jet setting lifestyle.

On the other hand, it's also estimated that there's nearly 300 000 Canadians in Hong Kong who might heavily be drawn from the "returnee" population, while I'm not sure if many Asian cities have high "American returnee" populations.

Since my thread is about connections, the perceived returnee and "jet setting" image of Asian Vancouverites might make people think they're more connected relative to some other city where Asian immigrants arrive and stay but don't jet back and forth between the old and new homes as much.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 9:37 PM
dazzle me

Anyone who answers anything other than Honolulu here just doesn't know what he's talking about.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 10:44 PM
Big City Enthusiast

Vancouver all the way! You know this to be true if you've ever been. ...

Took my M-I-L (who is from China) to Vancouver and immediately she felt like she was back home and wished China could take queues from Vancouver as far a quality of life is concerned. ....

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 11:29 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
BTW, any idea what percentage of LA Iranians are Jewish? Maybe 20%?
I'd say over half, if not more. The reason most of the Iranians left Iran for Los Angeles is because they were jewish.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I'd say over half, if not more. The reason most of the Iranians left Iran for Los Angeles is because they were jewish.
But then why LA in particular (other cities' Persian immigrants' demographics aren't as heavily Jewish, like say Toronto, despite Persian Torontonians living in places not too far from Jewish Torontonians, like North York)?

And why didn't they say, move to the East coast in the US where there were historically more (and still are more) Jewish immigrants of many backgrounds?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions