HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Very interesting addendum that only begs more questions...

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2018link.html

1. Is New York really more "connected" to London than it is to DC? Chicago? LA? I have a hard time seeing that.
Exactly why it's BS. The study de-emphasizes "cultural" connections because American cities would cluster at the top.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 9:42 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Why not? I wonder
Not sure if serious.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
If they called it the global business connectivity list they'd be ok. But they use grand terms and seem to favor incorrect assumptions. So again, it's used as clickbait, and it's partially their fault.

It's completely their fault. Alpha vs beta. Plus plus vs. plus vs. minus. You gotta hand it to them, it's a great marketing ploy.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
you need the assistance of foreign service firms for basic bookkeeping and payroll, you get to call yourself a "global city"
Ignoring for a second your frankly offensive comment about the capabilities of domestic service firms in other economies, the ranking is based on the agglomeration of international connections; a city ranks higher only if it has more connections. A simple concept really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
If they called it the global business connectivity list they'd be ok. But they use grand terms and seem to favor incorrect assumptions. So again, it's used as clickbait, and it's partially their fault.
Ignoring the ridiculousness of your first sentence for such a neutral title of academic research that sets out no bias, or having an issue with ‘grand’ terms which are hierarchical to reflect the bands of connectivity, what are these incorrect assumptions that you refer to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Exactly why it's BS. The study de-emphasizes "cultural" connections because American cities would cluster at the top
There is no de-emphasis on cultural connections because the study clearly sets out that it is based on service sector connections. I’m not sure why people are struggling, but I guess this is what happens when people don’t read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
it's a great marketing ploy.
Marketing for who?

SSP used to be better than this, but clearly the mental faculties of certain forum members has gone amiss.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 11:57 AM

To me, this whole study is bs and doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
lol whoever made this list must be on acid.
The 2016 list was about spot on. But I agree. Several high profile snafus it seems on the 2018 list. Dallas too low, Miami too high. it's just all over the place.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions