HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 6:42 AM
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Disgraceful. That spire was gorgeous.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 7:12 AM

The "spire" or telecommunications mast without the radome would look almost exactly like the antenna contraption on top of Conde Nast: i.e., hideous, fugly, etc...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 7:19 AM

I hope someone writes up an article for the NY Times showing what the WTC One would look like without the radome covering the antenna. I think the public outcry would easily put a stop to the implementation of what I call "Durst's Dastardly Deed."

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 8:22 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
The plan, which came after Durst Organization executives pitched the Port Authority on the idea, calls for other changes to the planned 408-foot spire on top of One Trade Center. Its architectural cone would be stripped away, putting in place a thinner, more functional spire that the Durst Organization said would save about $20 million.
WT...? No way man, the cone has to stay or else we'll get a freaking fugly antenna! Really Durst? You want us all to look at that ugly thing for the foreseeable future? What a sick idea... .

Quote:
The revision, however, drew criticism from the building's architect, Skidmore Owings & Merrill, people familiar with the matter said.
Yeah Durst, listen to pros for once.

Now it's not the time to cheap out, especially not with THIS tower. Last thing we need is a 400 feet tall super tiny pencil. Throw away this f* stupid idea, NOW!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 8:48 AM

Oh, sh*t... No way! Thanks a lot, Durst... Really disgraceful!!!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:06 PM

At least we got one of the Twin Towers back if this building is almost a complete replica of the North Tower .

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:22 PM
BANNED

Are.you.fudging.KIDDING ME?!? What the f-ing hell are they THINKING?!?!?! I swear to god how the hell can they just let this idea slip?!?! No god please don't it's going to look fugly and it won't be seemingly as tall as we thought it would be..so it will look like one of the twin towers but its time to see something new & it won't be among the taller of course the sears wins again

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:23 PM
BANNED

Guys lets rebel...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:36 PM

Things going to look excatly like the north tower,and that's the last thing I want.Something new for a change.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:39 PM
BANNED

Wait this isn't official right...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:56 PM

I sent an email to Durst Organization Inc. regarding the tower and hopefully gets to the higher elite members of the organization who make such decisions.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:07 PM

And havnt they already produced the shell for the spire anyways. i think its a little late to try and do this. F*^k durst!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:18 PM
BANNED

This is a completely serious comment but I think eah and every one of us should email durst but act as individuals and not as a group on a forum so it's like a perspective from "the people" seriously let's do that..this also means the spire of the empire state building will be taken down? So that it'll look like it did when it was first built with the capsule

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Too bad about the spire changes, if they decide to go ahead with it. The Port Authority itself threatened such changes a few years ago. But the spire was IMO what set this tower apart from the others. It would be a mistake, to not build it. I would rather the money from the broadcasters or even the observation deck went to building the spire as planned. But that probably won't happen. As far as public opinion goes though, most people have no idea what the spire is planned to look like, and simply reading about it gives the impression that it's just some large "antenna" being placed on top. Sadly, that may become a reality.

R36 coach

m.touhey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
this also means the spire of the empire state building will be taken down? So that it'll look like it did when it was first built with the capsule
Of course not.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:48 PM

Wow, news of a possible spire change just ruined my day.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:53 PM

The best (and really only) way to prevent this change is to raise enough awareness about it that there is a public backlash. I hope that the existence of this building becomes more widely known once it tops out, maybe enough people will become aware of the situation.

Although I suppose it's not inconceivable that a cladded spire could be installed at some future date, even if the fucktards running the show at the moment decide to go ahead with the antenna, especially after the complex is finished and it becomes as iconic and well-known as the old twins.

Seriously, though? This isn't some random building, this is the World Trade Center, possibly the most significant structure ever built in terms of what it represents. And they don't even want to do it right?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dense_Electric View Post
The best (and really only) way to prevent this change is to raise enough awareness about it that there is a public backlash. I hope that the existence of this building becomes more widely known once it tops out, maybe enough people will become aware of the situation.

Although I suppose it's not inconceivable that a cladded spire could be installed at some future date, even if the fucktards running the show at the moment decide to go ahead with the antenna, especially after the complex is finished and it becomes as iconic and well-known as the old twins.

Seriously, though? This isn't some random building, this is the World Trade Center, possibly the most significant structure ever built in terms of what it represents. And they don't even want to do it right?
I think to start this backlash we should all send personal emails to dunst. I just don't get why they would even listen to such an idea let alone consider it.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 3:14 PM

This is so absurd that there changing the spire on this tower, it made 1 WTC beautiful. I hope that Durst will change this weird idea of theirs and bring beauty back to this tower.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 3:23 PM

Well I hope nothing has been decided yet? Maybe there's a chance we will still get the nice fat spire as designed? After all, the building has to top out first and only then will spire construction begin..Also, a bare, bland antenna would look silly on this building because it would look like someone just stuck it there as an afterthought. The spire as designed would be a major architectural part of the building! I hope SOM and the powers that be pull out all the stops against changing the spire!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 3:27 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive