HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 7:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkmillenium View Post
Oh... finally a crane. Maybe more 6 years to rise a floor..

Gee, almost a week since the last such idiotic post. You people are losing your touch...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 5:47 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
To the contrary.

Once more steel is delivered to Ground Zero for the base of the tower, we'll start to see the thing takoff and roar into the sky like a 777!
Ah yes, and when will that be?

I'm seeing a more-steel-is-being-delivered-to-ground-zero ceremony around ummmm August maybe. ooh! or perhaps for the 6th anniversary in September. oh gee, maybe they'll paint murals on these beams.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
I'm seeing a more-steel-is-being-delivered-to-ground-zero ceremony around ummmm August maybe. ooh! or perhaps for the 6th anniversary in September. oh gee, maybe they'll paint murals on these beams.
Oh don't be so negative. You can see that the foundation for the core is virtually complete and that they are preparing the foundations for the next round of columns. The crane will be busy soon.

Also I believe they are now laying down the foundation for the new road that will be passing by the tower.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 2:18 PM
BANNED

Yeah, Come on Staten, why do you keep making statements like that.

Pataki's not in office now, so there shouldn't be any more blundering for Ground Zero. You gotta realise that this project took more than a ton of delays and setbacks only because of Pataki's foolishness.

And I'm serious, once the base starts rising, the main part shouldn't be too far behind. Have some patience.

Last edited by Daquan13; Apr 22, 2007 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 8:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Keep'em comin. You folks are hilarious...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 9:02 PM
New Yorker for life

APRIL 21, 2007

^ There was a similar silhouette view at the top of 2 WTC...

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 22, 2007 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 11:41 PM
FriskyDingo

Nyguy great pics/great building, pic number 11 is almost an inspirational shot about the growth of this tower. There will probably some PBS documentary about freedom tower in like 20 years that pic could be in it.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 2:51 AM
BANNED

Yeah, great pics, NYguy!!!

Not only that. You are the first one to take pics of that crane up close!

And today was a warm and gorgious picture-perfect day to take those beautiful pics of Ground Zero!!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 8:46 AM

Thank you NYguy for this nice picture , sorry for my poor English
Happy to know that freedom tower and reconstruction of ground zero become a reality.

One more thing , We can see Barclay Building is finished (on the left picture 8 to 10), I saw it next November , Barclay building's crane is removed.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 12:23 PM
BANNED

Looks like the 2 bottom pics were taken from inside Winter Garden.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 10:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
Nyguy great pics/great building, pic number 11 is almost an inspirational shot about the growth of this tower. There will probably some PBS documentary about freedom tower in like 20 years that pic could be in it.
Thanks. We'll have our own documentary of sorts...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 10:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattali View Post
One more thing , We can see Barclay Building is finished (on the left picture 8 to 10), I saw it next November , Barclay building's crane is removed.
It's not quite finished. If you check the Barclay tower thread, you'll see a little more on that.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 10:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Looks like the 2 bottom pics were taken from inside Winter Garden.
Correct. It will be an awesome view when the tower(s) start rising above ground...

BTW, here's the sound of the WTC on a lazy saturday afternoon...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Dl3T-aagc

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:05 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.amny.com/news/local/groun...m-topheadlines

A year after ground zero stalemate, steel rising at WTC site

By AMY WESTFELDT
April 26, 2007T

NEW YORK -- Cranes were idle. A cornerstone for the skyscraper to replace the World Trade Center sat in the dirt, packed in plywood. A nasty, headline-trading battle with charges of greed and inefficiency swirled around the rebuilding of ground zero.

But a year ago Thursday, an agreement was hammered out that ended a months-long stalemate about how to divide power and money to rebuild. And since then, the hole in the middle of downtown has finally turned into a construction site.

"The gratifying thing, of course, is the visual. And the visual now is really there," said David Childs, architect of the Freedom Tower, the tallest of five skyscrapers being built to replace the twin towers. "The believability factor now is real."

The visuals at the trade center site _ where rebuilding of most projects starts 70 feet below ground _ include several steel columns for Childs' Freedom Tower now peeking above street level. More than 4,000 cubic yards of concrete has been poured to make up the 1,776-foot tower's foundation. Over 200 workers are on the site, building a transit hub, the 9/11 memorial and digging up land where three more office towers will be built.

A year ago, a handful of workers populated the site, while the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey battled with trade center developer Larry Silverstein over the lease he signed weeks before the towers were destroyed on Sept. 11, 2001.

Silverstein had the right to build five office towers to replace the destroyed complex. The Port Authority, which owned the buildings, and state and city politicians said he couldn't afford to build them all quickly enough. Silverstein was called greedy for haggling over details of the lease; state officials were labeled hapless bureaucrats most responsible for delays.

The new deal divided billions of dollars in insurance proceeds and bonds to rebuild, as well as responsibility for the five towers. The Port Authority took over building and leasing the Freedom Tower and another skyscraper and said it would excavate land for Silverstein to build three other towers on the site.

A day later, heavy equipment rolled in to work on the Freedom Tower, which had several false starts.
A cornerstone was first laid in 2004, then encased in plywood and taken off the site after the tower was moved and redesigned.

"A year ago, that thing was nothing but a political statement, a symbol of government frustration and inaction," said Port Authority executive director Anthony Shorris, pointing at the Freedom Tower this week.

Today, "the politics are over. Now it's about business."

That's also true at Silverstein's offices over ground zero, where architects for his three towers work together on one floor, looking at a digital clock ticking off the days, minutes and seconds until the next planning deadline. More detailed drawings were completed this month; they include ideas like sleek fins on the outside of Norman Foster's tower to control the light, a black marble wall inside Fumihiko Maki's tower and a huge, airy lobby with a video installation inside Richard Rogers' tower.

Janno Lieber, who heads the trade center project for Silverstein, said his team will be
ready to build by January, when the Port Authority must deliver buildable land at ground zero or pay penalties of $300,000 a day.

"The agreement struck a year ago has worked out very, very well. All of the stakeholders are still pulling in the same direction," Lieber said. "Before that, we'd been waiting for four-plus years."

The builders are still in the middle of litigation with several insurers who haven't said whether they would honor the new deal by paying Silverstein and the Port Authority their shares. Lieber said so far, the talks haven't kept them from meeting schedules.

The complete rebuilding of ground zero is still years away; the Freedom Tower is scheduled to open in 2011, the memorial and a transit hub two years earlier, and the other office buildings are to be finished by 2013. A fifth tower and a performing arts center are not yet designed.

At the site, workers are performing "the most elegant dance in construction" to get out of each other's way and coordinate many projects in a small space, said Shorris. A search for human remains at the site has diverted construction traffic at times; a staircase that is the last above-ground remnant of the complex is surrounded by bulldozers and dirt piles while officials figure out what to do with it.

Those unforeseen problems will always be unique to the site of the nation's worst terrorist attack, and can't be helped, said Port Authority chairman Anthony Coscia.

"I completely recognize that in our construction process ... you're going to have to take a second seat to issues that arise. We're sensitive to that," he said. "It's both unrealistic and inappropriate to ignore even for one day what happened at that site."

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:14 PM
FriskyDingo

For some reason i dont really like it when people call it a replacement for the original wtc. But overall a good article about the progress. Still if you want something done correctly, and on time, you have to do it yourself. Tommorow i fly to NY and begin building the Freedom tower myself, Carlos/ NYguy i expect you to be there too. plz bring a hammer, i cant fly with one.

By the way NYguy you are about to pass 10,000 posts... umm... do you have a job too? wow!

Last edited by ATLksuGUY; Apr 26, 2007 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:14 PM
BANNED

That's right, it's been a whole year now since construction on the Freedom Tower began!

I think a lot of progress has been made since then.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 10:10 PM
Bionic Boogie

Quote:
...Tommorow i fly to NY and begin building the Freedom tower myself, Carlos/ NYguy i expect you to be there too. plz bring a hammer...

I'M THRERE...LET'S DO IT MAN
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 10:15 PM

It's about bloody time!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 10:39 PM
That's what she said

This is off subject, but I wish they hadn't built that one ugly tower so close to the Woolworth bldg.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 11:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Tommorow i fly to NY and begin building the Freedom tower myself, Carlos/ NYguy i expect you to be there too. plz bring a hammer, i cant fly with one.
If I join in, we'll have to push the damn thing to 2,000 ft, at least.

Quote:
By the way NYguy you are about to pass 10,000 posts... umm... do you have a job too? wow!
I actually passed that mark once before. There's just a lot going on now that I try to keep up with. These are good times to be posting in a skyscraper forum...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive