HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 12:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

October 8, 2012

351 Water Street by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Water Street by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Henry-Bell Condo Complex by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Murray Premises by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Becks Cove and George Street by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Suburban Sprawl in Conception Bay South by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Oil Rig by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Coast Guard by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Conception Bay South by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Conception Bay by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Busy Day in Conception Bay by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 3:23 PM

Just a reminder to people that the westbound lane of water street closes tomorrow for the TD place crane. It will be closed for 3 weeks. That seems like a long time and will no doubt cause frustration to motorists in the downtown. Oh well, it's about time this project gets clued up!

City's Website Notice:
Quote:
Lane Reduction
LOCATION: Westbound Lane on Water Street between Prescott Street and Clift's/Baird's Cove
FROM Tue, Oct 9 2012(6:00 AM) TO Wed, Oct 31 2012(6:00 PM)
Motorists are advised that in order to facilitate the placement of a crane, the westbound lane on Water Street from the intersection of Prescott Street to Clift's/Baird's Cove will be closed from Tuesday, October 9, 2012, to Wednesday, October 31, 2012. During this time, all traffic heading west on Water Street will be detoured around the site via Harbour Drive. Detour signage will be in place to guide traffic.

The eastbound lanes on Water Street in this area will remain open and unaffected during this time.
(http://www.stjohns.ca/access/servicedetails.csj?id=1457)

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 6:16 PM

Interesting population projection chart I found in an article. I don't if any of you have seen it, but I thought I would share it anyway. I have seen provincial population projections for Newfoundland and Labrador as a whole, but I hadn't found projections for St. John's until now.

Not sure how accurate this is, but seems about right to me! If it's right, we're going to an exciting decade or so on the horizon!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Interesting population projection chart I found in an article. I don't if any of you have seen it, but I thought I would share it anyway. I have seen provincial population projections for Newfoundland and Labrador as a whole, but I hadn't found projections for St. John's until now.

Not sure how accurate this is, but seems about right to me! If it's right, we're going to an exciting decade or so on the horizon!
to be honest I see this as very conservative ... I think when the infrastructure is in for offices and industrial/ commercial parks and all the mega projects are on the go we will see a hike in population

I think they just took the snapshot of the population increase for that year and applied it to the years ahead

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 7:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I think it's conservative as well but, at least, fair in relation to the predictions for other cities.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 8:21 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ The population figures may be low, seeing as the actual figure in the latest census was already almost 5,000 higher.

Great photos Signal, especially CBS - what is the pond in the second last picture?

Edit - Looks like Adams Pond, so that would be in Paradise, with CBS in the background.

Last edited by Architype; Oct 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 9:10 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The reults of the CBC Newburbia survey are interesting to read through, if you have time, it is quite lengthy -

http://www.cbc.ca/nl/features/newbur...y/results.html

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 9:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Great photos Signal, especially CBS - what is the pond in the second last picture?

Edit - Looks like Adams Pond, so that would be in Paradise, with CBS in the background.
I have no idea but I do recall seeing Paradise Road somewhere around there... or possibly later, ha! I don't know. In any event, it wasn't that far from Paradise. I came down over the hill and I was on that road that leads to Topsail. It may even be called Topsail out there, I guess.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 9:52 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Yes, I'm sure now, it's Adams Pond, so everything around that pond is in Paradise, most of which has all been built since I was last in that area. The farthest houses you can see might be in CBS though. It shows how the two towns are becoming somewhat indistinguishable.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
The reults of the CBC Newburbia survey are interesting to read through, if you have time, it is quite lengthy -

http://www.cbc.ca/nl/features/newbur...y/results.html
Wow there is alot of consensus that there should be better Transit, Denser development with green space in mind and more amenities .... maybe someone will finally listen

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 10:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It is encouraging... but all of the...

"The thing I love is detached homes, large lots, and quiet neighbourhoods."
"The thing I don't like is the traffic."

...people make want to scream.

Reminds me of that sign, "You are not stuck in traffic. You are traffic."

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 10:26 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

It appeared that the worst traffic is on Topsail Road between Kenmount and the ORR, is that accurate? Then it seems a solution would be to build more roads forming a ring around Paradise, and more places to access the ORR.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
It appeared that the worst traffic is on Topsail Road between Kenmount and the ORR, is that accurate? Then it seems a solution would be to build more roads forming a ring around Paradise, and more places to access the ORR.
This just highlights the need for more regional planning .. currently there are only TWO direct access routes to Paradise from the city ... it's bound to be a crazy bottlenose and will be worse as time goes on

Also I agree with how annoying that is Signal ...

And on another note have you guys noticed that they have put up a big digital billboard on the side of the Capital Hotel? I have always loves the digital billboards if there was a plan put in place Kenmount road could be dramatically changed and be a very nice place to live and work

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post

And on another note have you guys noticed that they have put up a big digital billboard on the side of the Capital Hotel? I have always loves the digital billboards if there was a plan put in place Kenmount road could be dramatically changed and be a very nice place to live and work
There was also another digital billboard put up a little further up kenmount road at vocm recently. I don't think it's operational yet but it's there

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
There was also another digital billboard put up a little further up kenmount road at vocm recently. I don't think it's operational yet but it's there
Kenmount road in 10 years = Kenmount Times Square Road lol

Still could be cool especially if theres more dense development on the hill etc

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Kenmount road in 10 years = Kenmount Times Square Road lol

Still could be cool especially if theres more dense development on the hill etc
One big difference between times square and kenmount road of the future.. times square is pedestrian friendly!

kenmount hill is one of those bare patches in the city that should be developed before sprawling further into paradise/CBS

The gushue highway will probably open up a lot of development opportunities on the hill. Once the 190m line is removed, we may finally see that hill filled in!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
One big difference between times square and kenmount road of the future.. times square is pedestrian friendly!

kenmount hill is one of those bare patches in the city that should be developed before sprawling further into paradise/CBS

The gushue highway will probably open up a lot of development opportunities on the hill. Once the 190m line is removed, we may finally see that hill filled in!
I hope it does become more dense ... things like hotels and stuff give me hope lol and their talk about planned development on kenmount hill .. I guess alot of questions will be answered when the municipal plan comes out .. or at least we'll see whats on the go

(and I was definatly exaggerating comparing it to times square hahahah but still I get your point and agree)

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I hope it does become more dense ... things like hotels and stuff give me hope lol and their talk about planned development on kenmount hill .. I guess alot of questions will be answered when the municipal plan comes out .. or at least we'll see whats on the go

(and I was definatly exaggerating comparing it to times square hahahah but still I get your point and agree)
I shall ask again. What is this almighty municipal plan? what will it consist of? When does it come out? How often is a municipal plan released? Why will it bring lots of proposals?

I have asked these questions before but none have been answered, sorry if they're idiotic questions xD

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 11:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Fingers crossed. I just wish people would have more realistic expectations.

I look at the old homes on, say, Gower - at the small attic windows of the servants quarters - and I think... just a century ago, this was VERY wealthy. And you could fit two of those homes in the front porch of these new suburban homes. Why do people think they need that much? Why do they even want that much? Don't they care the world can't possibly support THAT being the standard for our cities?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I shall ask again. What is this almighty municipal plan? what will it consist of? When does it come out? How often is a municipal plan released? Why will it bring lots of proposals?

I have asked these questions before but none have been answered, sorry if they're idiotic questions xD
I did answer you once you must have missed it

Quote:
I just heard on a CBC interveiw that the timeline for the municipal plan is the public will have their last say in January and it should be released in March ... this should be a 20 year plan hahahahah because it took like 5 years to develop

There better be some big changes or big plans in it .. better not be status quo due to how much input and time its taken
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...09#post5856409

It will be what the plan is for the (suppose to be) next 5 years and what the zoning will be in all of the city .. like what will be residential low/medium/high density commercial .. mixed ... industrial .. rural... green space .. heritage areas and what that means .. what the height restrictions are and where and general plans for where what kinds of developments should go ... etc etc

My personal opinion is that developers could be watching this closely (like hilton) waiting to see where the council will allow what then they can apply under those rules and not have fear of public backlash or crazy media and disapproval etc because these issues should be clarified in the plan

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's