HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 10:48 PM

This is a best case scenario for the Argos today with a complete domination by toronto. A lot of people might crap on the looks of attendance on TV but it actually looks encouraging with out knowing the final number. The shaded side and end zone are fairly full and I'm pretty impressed with the amount of people in the upper deck where toronto is selling to group sales. Now ray just needs to throw 500 yards every game.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 10:52 PM

I wonder why bc doesn't impose ads on the field like TO does?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:08 AM

Only caught a few bits and pieces of today's game, but from what I could see it looks like the Argos have turned it around. If Ray can stay healthy, they'll be dangerous this season.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 5:35 AM

Was at the Argos/Ti-Cats game. Yes, a small crowd but actually loud when they needed to be. The Argos did a far better job with the scoreboard than anytime last year. The music was more current and it was nice to have some championship banners back to show some history. Half-time show was negligible so that needs some work.

A far better start than last year...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Was at the Argos/Ti-Cats game. Yes, a small crowd but actually loud when they needed to be. The Argos did a far better job with the scoreboard than anytime last year. The music was more current and it was nice to have some championship banners back to show some history. Half-time show was negligible so that needs some work.

A far better start than last year...
Small crowd but everyone there was invested and into it 100%. We had a booth again this game and have started a deal to be there half the season. This crowd was smaller but WAY more intense. You had no part-time fans there and it was all CFL diehards. I watched all the 4th quarter and crowd was rocking. I don't think the Argos will peak above this gate (16K), but it is much better to have all the fsns there fully invested versus a bunch of passive types on their phone the whole game which was common last year (I suspect less freebies are out this year).

I admit I had s good time. I miss football and sun on my face so you might even catch me at a game this year.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:15 PM

I was at the RedBlacks game Friday night. My voice has not fully recovered yet. It was a game that built in intensity to a fever pitch. Naturally the fans were not pleased with all the controversial calls. It was loud towards the end of the game. No love loss between the RedBlacks and the Stamps. I hope that the game in Calgary later this week will be also close and intense.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:38 PM

Drew Willy signed by the Alouettes. Good move assuming the contract is cap friendly which I'm sure it is.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 3:13 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I was at the RedBlacks game Friday night. My voice has not fully recovered yet. It was a game that built in intensity to a fever pitch. Naturally the fans were not pleased with all the controversial calls. It was loud towards the end of the game. No love loss between the RedBlacks and the Stamps. I hope that the game in Calgary later this week will be also close and intense.
I was also there. The place was really rockin' in the 4th quarter, although much of the noise was directed at the refs. At least 2 of those reviewed calls were very suspect.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:13 PM
Community Guy

Pumped for the Esks home opener this Friday!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:44 PM

OMG, only 13k for Argos home opener. Are the only Argo fans in existence on this forum? Makes you wonder how much longer they're going to be around (not that anyone in TO would care if they went away).

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
OMG, only 13k for Argos home opener. Are the only Argo fans in existence on this forum? Makes you wonder how much longer they're going to be around (not that anyone in TO would care if they went away).
In depth attendance chatter might be more appropriate in the 'sports in Canadian culture' thread.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
I don't think the Argos will peak above this gate (16K), but it is much better to have all the fsns there fully invested versus a bunch of passive types on their phone the whole game which was common last year (I suspect less freebies are out this year).
Official attendance was 13,583. Hopefully they peak over this gate.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post

This is truly sad.

I haven't been to a CFL game in 6 years. Going to try and catch a couple Esks games this year tho.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
In depth attendance chatter might be more appropriate in the 'sports in Canadian culture' thread.
Considering that bums in the seats is the lifeblood of the CFL I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. I'm concerned about the long term health of this league. And I know we've all been down this road before with one team or another, but IMO the Argos are never going to be relevant again and I wonder how long ownership will hang on.

Good news is that 3 of the 4 games were close and pretty entertaining which is tough to accomplish after only 2 pre-season games.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 7:49 PM

^ I disagree with that. I think that if the Argo's can play like they did yesterday on a consistent basis and post wins at home that they can attract more people to games. I really think that the previous management and coaching regime put this team in a big hole, but the current regime can make this team work. But if your looking at attendance figures, don't look for an improvement in week #2. On the bright side, apparently the Cats - Argos game was the most tweeted game of the 4 openers.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 12:10 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
The Argos home opener at BMO last year (on a Thursday) got 24,812 out. This past weekend's number was discouraging at best i'd imagine, even if those in attendance were well-spirited. This past weekend's game had a lower attendance than all but one game last year (Week 4 - 12,373).

We'll have to wait and see if a competitive Argos team can get more numbers through the gate. Last year's average was 16,380.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 12:34 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The Argos home opener at BMO last year (on a Thursday) got 24,812 out. This past weekend's number was discouraging at best i'd imagine, even if those in attendance were well-spirited. This past weekend's game had a lower attendance than all but one game last year (Week 4 - 12,373).

We'll have to wait and see if a competitive Argos team can get more numbers through the gate. Last year's average was 16,380.
I was at last year's and the number they announced was a little hard to believe. Besides, they were clearly papering the house last year, which they apparently aren't doing anymore. But Toronto's gridlock gets worse by the year and I don't really know how they'll attract their fan base, which is mostly 905-based, into the city in the future.

The good thing is that the people that go really have fun and the fans are as passionate as any I've seen in the West -- just fewer of them.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 10:10 PM

It will be a miracle if the Argos average 15,000 per game this year let alone exceed last year's average.

We will have to hope Bell will not tire of losing millions on this team annually given their ownership of TSN who happens to value the summer/fall content the CFL provides for the network.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Its going to take time
I do notice that they are by far the best deal in the CFL...

The have a 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs promo for $99
They also have a Groupon for $15 (People cannot complain about price) and before anyone says Groupon is desperation, there are several Blue Jays ones

I think with this and a strong team it will get better....not sold out, but pushing 18-20K

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 1:10 AM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Its going to take time
I do notice that they are by far the best deal in the CFL...

The have a 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs promo for $99
They also have a Groupon for $15 (People cannot complain about price) and before anyone says Groupon is desperation, there are several Blue Jays ones
TFC has also had several Groupon deals this year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada