HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 3:34 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by block43 View Post
There are still some good deals in that area if you are willing to do some work.
Work doesn't frighten me, but on a $150k(ish) budget, I won't have a ton of money left over. I'll certainly check out these areas in October when I visit next.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
All input is useful input :-)

What's wrong with east of Queen Street? There are some nice (on the inside) condos on Bay. Not quite in my price range anymore, were they still forsale, but I liked them when I looked online in the past.
My preference only...since I live in the Locke area, yes there are some nice places east of Queen street around Bay Street..If I had to make another choice I would live south of Hunter street in Central Hamilton near Bay, alot of nice old homes there.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 5:50 PM

Quote:
I had heard bad things about Barton and the North End, but the area seems ripe for rejuventation. My sibling's family have settled near Barton, a little further east of my "zone" and love it.

All input is good input though :-)

I have remembered walking past a gym on Cannon Street within my "zone", I didn't see any others during my visit. Are there many gyms in Hamilton or is it not really a common thing there or are the few that there are so big that you don't need many? London gyms tend to be quite small and pretty much everywhere.
I don't know of any gyms on Cannon Street..? Downtown has the Family Fitness in Jackson Square and the YMCA on John Street 'south' there are a couple more down in the Far East end of Hamilton and about 6 more on the Mountain..these are all big franchises as well, there may be a few smaller ones kicking around but I'am not too sure.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:00 PM

What bad things did you hear about Barton Street? crack heads...? it has become a problem over the last several years, they seem to gravitate to area from James up to around wentworth on Barton.. Alot of slumlords in that area! that rent to anyone including the crack heads!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:03 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
My preference only...since I live in the Locke area, yes there are some nice places east of Queen street around Bay Street..If I had to make another choice I would live south of Hunter street in Central Hamilton near Bay, alot of nice old homes there.
The Locke area does seem nice though

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:05 PM

Quote:
The Locke area does seem nice though
Locke Street has exploded over the last few years and the real estate is going through the roof! its becoming the place to be in Hamilton...some very nice shops and plus the Westown Bar is always busy!! good food,beer,bands.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:05 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
I don't know of any gyms on Cannon Street..? Downtown has the Family Fitness in Jackson Square and the YMCA on John Street 'south' there are a couple more down in the Far East end of Hamilton and about 6 more on the Mountain..these are all big franchises as well, there may be a few smaller ones kicking around but I'am not too sure.
I don't really recall, I was walking down from my hotel near Westdale along King and then randomly walked down a side street onto Cannon and walked along there for a while on my towards the area where we were buying a house.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:07 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
What bad things did you hear about Barton Street? crack heads...? it has become a problem over the last several years, they seem to gravitate to area from James up to around wentworth on Barton.. Alot of slumlords in that area! that rent to anyone including the crack heads!
Pretty much what you said, but I recall seeing a road off North off Barton being courdoned off by the police and a major crime unit. Wasn't that encouraged seeing as we were about to buy a house two streets away, south off Barton.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:08 PM

Quote:
I don't really recall, I was walking down from my hotel near Westdale along King and then randomly walked down a side street onto Cannon and walked along there for a while on my towards the area where we were buying a house.
Probably on York Blvd then? It looks just like Cannon, just in reverse.

Also YMCA is on Jackson/James, not John.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:08 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Locke Street has exploded over the last few years and the real estate is going through the roof! its becoming the place to be in Hamilton...some very nice shops and plus the Westown Bar is always busy!! good food,beer,bands.
Don't think I'll be able to afford to live there then then unless the prices haven't exploded too much by the time I get there. lol

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post

Yes YMCA is on James Street..LOL! I still sometimes confuse the 2..I dont know how? I have only lived here for 31 years!lol opps..

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:16 PM

Quote:
You might be talking about the 'Premier Fitness' which I think has now closed up I think...big red brick building with a parking lot, anyways there a shady company and I would'nt give them my money!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:17 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post

Entirely possible, I wasn't paying that close attention to where I was, I was mainly ambling in transit from Hotel to House.

Is that gym any good? Expensive?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:19 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
You might be talking about the 'Premier Fitness' which I think has now closed up I think...big red brick building with a parking lot, anyways there a shady company and I would'nt give them my money!
Not sure, I do remember it being a big building and where doesn't have a parking lot in Hamilton?

I think there were pictures on the side. Maybe something about a men's section and a women's section. My memory is fuzzy. I wasn't really gym spotting that day.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Not sure, I do remember it being a big building and where doesn't have a parking lot in Hamilton?

I think there were pictures on the side. Maybe something about a men's section and a women's section. My memory is fuzzy. I wasn't really gym spotting that day.

Most likely was Premier Fitness...they developed a bad reputation due to double and triple billing peoples credit cards, there was a big write up in the Hamilton Spectator a few years back where they were under investigation..

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:26 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Most likely was Premier Fitness...they developed a bad reputation due to double and triple billing peoples credit cards, there was a big write up in the Hamilton Spectator a few years back where they were under investigation..
Well... I walked past the building in April. I don't remember if it was open or closed, I just remember it being there and thinking, "So there are gyms in Hamilton". In London, gyms are as common as your Tim Horton's. You can't walk a few streets without bumping into one, lol. So the lack of obvious gyms in Hamilton was a bit of a surprise, there seemed to be a few burly looking blokes, so I'm assuming people do work out in the city.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Well... I walked past the building in April. I don't remember if it was open or closed, I just remember it being there and thinking, "So there are gyms in Hamilton". In London, gyms are as common as your Tim Horton's. You can't walk a few streets without bumping into one, lol. So the lack of obvious gyms in Hamilton was a bit of a surprise, there seemed to be a few burly looking blokes, so I'm assuming people do work out in the city.
Yeah..we work out here...lol..but like I said they are mainly big franchises maybe about 10 total in Hamilton, but these gyms have anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 members a location! big places!!!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:33 PM

I've only had experience with the YMCA in Waterdown and the aforementioned one on Jackson. The former is new and kind of cramped, the latter is old and not as cramped but with a goofy setup. Fee is something like $50/month. They've just stopped complimentary towel service, now charging $120/year, lol. There's a new Y being bulit on Rymal I think, there's a thread here about it.

I too have heard extremely bad things about Premier Fitness, so I'd stay away.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:35 PM
Closed account

The crap is still happening with Premier Fitness. And these are fairly recent posts on this forum.

http://ctvbb.insinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10220

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:37 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Yeah..we work out here...lol..but like I said they are mainly big franchises maybe about 10 total in Hamilton, but these gyms have anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 members a location! big places!!!
Most London gyms are tiny.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion