HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 3:38 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscani01 View Post
My friend from Ellis Don says as far as he knows, the 'temporary cladding' will not rise with the building. Curtainwall installation will begin above it. They dont want to start installing cladding on the lower floors until construction is close to completion. This will prevent any damage on the lower floors, which is where most of the action occurs since its such a small site.
regarding the cladding.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 3:56 PM
gettin' rich!

Maldive did a proposal render in the Canada section....

check it out!!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 4:45 PM
gettin' rich!

from current.. SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by current View Post
From the RBC web site

Photo taken today January 11, the podium is above ground and they are starting to install the fifth level of glass.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 6:50 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlmightyFuzzy View Post
Achivis, you just beat me to posting the rendering :p

Oh well...here's the other one from HP's website:

I really like how the podium curves to match the sidewalk.
New Yorkville Condo..

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 7:05 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlmightyFuzzy View Post
And now, continuing with the trend of naming condos after world class cities, The Conservatory Group brings to you:

milanresidences.ca/

Nice tower though, and since it is in Yorkville I must assume this is the recently proposed condo tower for the Canadian Tire land site.

Another tower in Yorkville....

Milan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 8:35 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casaguy View Post
Back to BSN...

Bloor Street Neighbourhood Project....

^The angle we're all used to seeing (south and west exposures). That empty spot in the bottom left corner is where that low rise apt building on Charles St. E. will remain.

^I couldn't quite tell for sure, but it looks like the "grand entrance" will be under this archway.

^The eastern exposure that will butt right up to the YMCA building.

Above and below: The northern exposure that faces Hayden Street.

from casaguy at UT.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 2:16 PM
gettin' rich!

Bay Adelaide update: Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul451 View Post
I am back, I have been on vacation for a while and busy with school, Damm I like this building more and more everyday.

Construction elevator is progressing

These are some big pieces of steel

This building is going up so fast,

I understand the reasoning for the plywood curtain wall, the crane hit a bit of it as it was unloading some forms off a truck i was there, would be stupid to break glass now when you can just plywood the first three floors which are prone to these sorts of accidents.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 3:06 PM
gettin' rich!

RBC - glass!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by current View Post
Photo taken today January 14 they have completed the podium portion of the tower and are now rising above it. You can see the top of the podium in the upper right hand corner and they are continuing to install more glass.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 8:01 PM
gettin' rich!

Bay Adelaide Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum118 View Post
I love how 3 of the main support columns do a double crank. The 2nd column is a tube section and it some crank in both direction.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 3:48 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
January 2008

Construction continues on schedule. Concrete slabs will be poured for floor levels 13, 14, 15 and 16 in the tower area. Forming and pouring of the ground floor slab in the south half of the podium will continue. Forming for the second floor slab in the north podium area will commence this month. The area south of the podium does not continue above the street level but becomes a paved Courtyard. Elevator installation will begin with the installation of the first rails in the shafts. Preparation will start for installation of the floating floor system on the 11th floor mechanical rooms. The installation of the base building permanent lighting will continue throughout the parking levels. The adjacent Ritz-Carlton project will continue forming and pouring the ground floor slab.
From the RBC website

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 5:06 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thryve View Post
From the architectsAlliance website:

Four Seasons Toronto.. 210 Meters...

Should begin next month.

Excited is not the word......

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 7:28 PM

This is the first time I have seen images of the base of the building. I don't know how I feel about the lack of windows and the building materials that will be used. Looks a little bit like a modern-day brutalist design at the base... Is it just me? I know we are all gung-ho for skyscrapers, but I also want to add that I think it is a shame that such a massive tower will be overshaddowing the surrounding low-rise neighbourhood and school yard to the north. Doesn't seem to fit somehow.
"Make no small plans, for they have no magic to stir man's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical plan once recorded will never die." - Daniel Burnham

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 2:45 PM

I don't like the base at all. Looks really uninviting. Very fortress-like.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 3:25 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

In ONE month? Great news! Hopefully Shangri-La isn't far behind... and Aura, and L Tower, and of course 1 Bloor...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 4:31 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorji View Post
This is the first time I have seen images of the base of the building. I don't know how I feel about the lack of windows and the building materials that will be used. Looks a little bit like a modern-day brutalist design at the base... Is it just me? I know we are all gung-ho for skyscrapers, but I also want to add that I think it is a shame that such a massive tower will be overshaddowing the surrounding low-rise neighbourhood and school yard to the north. Doesn't seem to fit somehow.
Think about how dead this park of Yorkville is, right? So I think you see a redevelopment of properties fronting onto Yorkville near the new Hotel.

It will work, have hope..

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 6:58 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:

This week I put on my investigative reporter hat and went for a stroll around the soon-to-be ghost town that is Roy's Square. I wanted to see how the businesses were coping with being kicked out and what their plans for the future were. In case you missed it, Roy's Square at Yonge and Bloor is going to be completely destroyed to make way for the behemoth that is 1 Bloor.

As expected, no one was happy about moving and some were quite depressed about it, but overall I was glad to see that most of the businesses will be living on in some form or another elsewhere in the city.

For a (somewhat) complete list of the businesses of Roy's Square and their fates, keep reading after the jump.

Businesses that are definitely relocating:

Biryani House - Possibly the best cheap Indian food in the city, Biryani House is moving to 15 Hayden St. This makes me very, very happy.

Marco's Shoe Repair - Get your Birkenstock's re-soled at 890a Church St.

YWCA Store - New location opening uptown at 81 St Clair East.

Falafel House - Shawarma now being served in their new location across the street on Yonge.

Super Discount Plus - Where else can you buy a used fax machine and Mach3 Razor refills? New location will be opening at 558 Yonge St.

Mudo - Yonge Street fashionistas can now shop at 660 Yonge.

Toby's - Grab some wings and beer at their new location at Bathurst and College.

Silver 4U - Moving to 913 Yonge.

Egyptian Psychic - She saw this one coming and secured a lease at Yonge + Yorkville.

Roy's Square Dry Cleaners - Moving to 25 Hayden

Lunch Break Mediterranean Food - Moving to 760 Yonge St.

Nails by Annie - Moving out to Kingston Road

Electronic Watch Service Centre - Moving up the street to 50 Cumberland.

Businesses that would like to relocate but have yet to secure a lease elsewhere:

City Optical - When I think of Yonge and Bloor this shop with its enormous and some would say hideous signage is the first thing that comes to mind. They are expecting to secure a location somewhere in the Bay and Bloor area.

The Salad House - Still looking for a new location.

Banana Leaf Thai Cuisine - Still looking for a new location.

Popeyes Fried Chicken - Mmmm fried chicken.

Businesses that are shutting down altogether:

Harvey's - Rest assured Harvey's fans, there is not a conspiracy to remove all Harvey's from the downtown core as a new location is said to be coming to Yonge and Dundas.

Mr Sub - Already emptied out. I think if you look hard enough you might be able to find another Mr. Sub downtown...

Felix & Norton - Already emptied out.

Smoke and News - After 14 years in this location they will be shutting down as they cannot afford to lease another space in the area.

Coffee Coffee - Already emptied out.

Roy's Garden Chinese Cuisine - Closing after 14 years in business.

Hyart Gallery and Custom Framing - Closing down but the owner said he will still operate his business out of his own house.

Japan and Korea House - Already emptied out.

Currency Exchange - Tourists will have to go elsewhere to get our almighty dollar as this place is already emptied out.

Ritz Carribean Food - Already emptied out but other locations are in the area like 606 Yonge.

New York New York Accessories and Body Piercing - Get something weird pierced at their other locations - Queen West and Sheridan Mall (North York) as this place is shutting down.

Zulu fashion Accessories - Already closed.

Caffery Van Horne - Already closed.

Also worth mentioning that The Shoe Company and the other businesses in the section south of Roy's Square and north of Hayden street (including The Naval Club) have another 7 months before they will have to vacate.
from blogto.com

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 4:34 PM
gettin' rich!

from Paul over at UT

Quote:
Little Update, Been a really long time since I ventured in this part of town and I must say I like the progress on RBC and Ritz, even though the ritz remains very hard to photograph.

Thanks.
Paul

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 9:36 PM
gettin' rich!

more from paul451

Quote:
A few from today

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 4:04 PM

looking good so far

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:55 PM
gettin' rich!

RBC is looking better than I thought intially.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations